public sector workers strike

Dangerous

Big strike today involving the public sector.I agree that everybody has the right to strike but I cant agree with this one too much.Public sector workers are mainly highly paid and their pensions are the biggest in the country.Personally I think they need to get in the real world.There are plenty of private sector workers who fund these pensions whilst not having a pension of their own.

Both my kids are off today which causes childcare problems.Teachers have a due care to the children they teach and striking also sets a bad example to the kids.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While public sector pensions are better than private they are still poor, the private sector should demand better pensions. What is annoying a lot of people is that the contract they signed when going into the public sector is basically worthless, they will have to work longer, pay more and receive less in the majority of cases. Everyone should demand a better pension, the private sector pensions are appalling and something should be done about it. My folks put 100 pounds each a month in which isn't a small amount. The government are screwing people and are being unreasonable.

It's fashionable to go on strike or protest at the moment, get me in to Number 10 and I'd ban it. Go on strike you lose your job, protest you get shot. Problem with how I'm running this joint? feck off and go live in Afghanistan.

It's fashionable to go on strike or protest at the moment, get me in to Number 10 and I'd ban it. Go on strike you lose your job, protest you get shot. Problem with how I'm running this joint? feck off and go live in Afghanistan.

the reason why people are striking and protesting is because they are angry, the most fundamental right in a democracy to protest.

While public sector pensions are better than private they are still poor, the private sector should demand better pensions. What is annoying a lot of people is that the contract they signed when going into the public sector is basically worthless, they will have to work longer, pay more and receive less in the majority of cases. Everyone should demand a better pension, the private sector pensions are appalling and something should be done about it. My folks put 100 pounds each a month in which isn't a small amount. The government are screwing people and are being unreasonable.

Absolutely YR, well said.

The average public sector pension is a paltry £6,000 per annum. It's pathetic and if the Unions have a voice to stop this current government who cannot negotiate properly, good for them. In effect, what they want is for workers to pay more and work longer. How is that fair?

I have an argument too with people who slate teachers - if you could see the astronomical work load they get, you'd be pissed off too. Holidays are not holidays either - their workload spills over continuously so don't even begin to think that their life is a bed of roses. It's simply not.

There is contempt towards the public sector coming from private sector workers, it makes me wonder if those people deserve a public service at all.

This government ought to take a long, hard look at itself and instead of robbing public sector workers, stop the outragious amounts of money the corrupt bankers get. The rich have no problem lining their own pockets and in the meantime, it's public joe on the street who suffers.

what the government are trying to do is turn private sector workers vs public sector workers so we are divided instead of united. With the government again screwing with the pay of public sector workers until 2015 they are left in a difficult situation, take in effect a massive pay cut, and pay more for a smaller pension or go out on strike and annoy the majority of hard working private sector employees. If private and public sector workers were united we could force a real change in pay, ownership and pensions.

Absolutely YR, well said.

The average public sector pension is a paltry £6,000 per annum. It's pathetic and if the Unions have a voice to stop this current government who cannot negotiate properly, good for them. In effect, what they want is for workers to pay more and work longer. How is that fair?

I have an argument too with people who slate teachers - if you could see the astronomical work load they get, you'd be pissed off too. Holidays are not holidays either - their workload spills over continuously so don't even begin to think that their life is a bed of roses. It's simply not.

There is contempt towards the public sector coming from private sector workers, it makes me wonder if those people deserve a public service at all.

This government ought to take a long, hard look at itself and instead of robbing public sector workers, stop the outragious amounts of money the corrupt bankers get. The rich have no problem lining their own pockets and in the meantime, it's public joe on the street who suffers.

Spot on assessment - I can't stand the bleedin' tories!

Wake up and smell the coffee, the public lot have finally realised what us private lot have had to deal with.

Work till 68? Yes, so will we.

Pensions srinking? Still be a bigger pension than mine.

If you dunna like it, get a "better" job.

You'll never find one.

I passed a NHS picket line today. I only realised it was one as i saw a small A4 banner saying so and some plakards stood up. Where were the picketors? Xmas shopping i bet.

If they feel so strongly, strike for a full year on strike pay like the miners did. We cant do without teachers etc can we? But, you're all half hearted in your protests. Get on with a full blown long term strike if you really feel strongly about it.

Untill then, jog on.

what the government are trying to do is turn private sector workers vs public sector workers so we are divided instead of united. With the government again screwing with the pay of public sector workers until 2015 they are left in a difficult situation, take in effect a massive pay cut, and pay more for a smaller pension or go out on strike and annoy the majority of hard working private sector employees. If private and public sector workers were united we could force a real change in pay, ownership and pensions.

Don't think united unions would ever work YR sadly, there would be too much in fighting - but the fact remains people have got to make a stand whether they be public or private workers if they feel aggrieved. It's a democratic society after all. Now the government are changing the laws so it will be harder to strike. Great idea. There will never be a government that likes unions and is prepared to listen.

Half of the Downing Street staff were striking too today, which I find amusing. Poor Cameron, he'd have had to clean his own bog and make his own tea. Shame.

Serious amount of brush tarring going on in this thread.

I work in the NHS, earn a very small amount of money, a lot less than I could if I had the same job in the Private Sector. Did I feel compelled to strike today? No, because by the time i'm at a pensionable age all the rules will have changed again, several times and in any case I get paid to do my job, if I don't like the deal i'm getting, i'll look for another one.

Do I agree with the strikers? No, because they should be damn grateful to have any job at all at the present, however they are only standing up for what is best for them - just like the students were earlier this year, just like the miners were all those years ago, so cut the name calling and stereotyping it just makes you look stupid and bitter.

Archived