PS4 and Xbox 720

Day

Thinking of buying someone a PS3 or Xbox 360 this Christmas? I'd think again....

Having given Microsoft a year's head start in the current generation, PlayStation Europe boss Jim Ryan said it would be "undesirable" for PS4 to repeat that for the next-generation.

Speaking to Eurogamer TV this afternoon at a press event for PlayStation Vita in London, Ryan, who stepped up to the SCEE top job in the summer, said: "I think we would consider it undesirable to be significantly later than the competition [with the next PlayStation]."

With Wii U out next year and Microsoft expected to reveal the next Xbox in 2012 amid suggestions that a number of studios are already making games for a 2013 launch, industry chatter regarding a PlayStation 3 successor has been considerably more muted.

This, coupled with Sony's overall financial position, has led to speculation that the company is behind its rivals with its next-generation planning.

Ryan defended Sony's strategy, insisting: "There's still a lot of unfinished business on PS3."

He added: "If you look at PlayStation 2, now in excess of 150m units installed globally, a huge majority of that was done at price points of £120 or lower. [With PS3] we've only just hit £199 in the UK, so clearly there's a considerable untapped part of the market there."

Last week Edge reported that a first-party Sony studio had ceased PS3 development and moved onto PS4 development. The unnamed developer is also apparently involved in building the graphics technology for Sony's next system.

It then said Guerrilla Games was making a new Killzone game - for PlayStation 4?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-23-sony-it-would-be-undesirable-for-ps4-to-launch-significantly-later-than-the-competition

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd imagine that there will be very little difference between the next 2 consoles.

The PS4 will probably be better suited to 3D gaming, whereas the 720 is supposed to be far more integrated with Windows this time.

Other than that, I'd guess that they'll be pretty similar. M$ will 'fess up to dropping the ball with the 360 and include a BD drive, while Sony will own up to needing a better online interface by having a much slicker interface than PSN.

Xbox will be the better gaming console, the PS3 will be better for multi-media I should imagine, just as it was this year.

I think i'll be plumping for a 720 but then I did want a Ps3 before I got the 360 so i'll wait to see any major changes in either before I make my mind up.

The capabilities of both consoles now haven't been tested to their max, and like they said, they have an 'untapped market' to exploit first.

I'd say that they have a ten year lifespans, and with Sony wanting to release at the same time as Microsoft I'd say 2015 for both.

Was a while ago but Sony said PS3 would be their last disk console and they wanted downloads to stop the second hand market

EA make you register your games for online because of how much they were loosing out on second hand sales

that would mean you HAVE to have an internet connection to buy games and perhaps even use a PS4

• 2 weeks later...

This is inevitable. Think of the environmental benefits of no hard copy.

Of course the price of gaming will plummet as there still be no distribution costs etc.

Happy days. ;-)

And all those hundreds of Game/Gamestations stores close down and 1,000's more staff are sent off to the dole queue.

360 and PS3 are both miles behind what is capable on PC which needs addressing really.

Move/Kinect need to be ditched though.

This is inevitable. Think of the environmental benefits of no hard copy.

Of course the price of gaming will plummet as there still be no distribution costs etc.

Happy days. ;-)

doubt the price will plummet i suspect profits will increase

Archived