so is nigels own team good enough

Curtains

You play your best players regardless of the opposition. Nobody will convince me that Bennett, Ball, Hughes and Doyle are all better players than Maguire and Cywka. Leaving those two out was a stupid move by Clough.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You play your best players regardless of the opposition. Nobody will convince me that Bennett, Ball, Hughes and Doyle are all better players than Maguire and Cywka. Leaving those two out was a stupid move by Clough.

We had 3 games in a week, and he made changes. If we had won would you be complaining? How many times does Alex Ferguson change five (or more) of his eleven, and they seem to do pretty well. He's used some pretty average players in his years (average for a regular title winning side).

Did you go to the Cardiff , Pompey and Posh games like i did . Clough saw Maguire destroy Pompey and then because he misplaced a couple of passes against a super Cardiff side took him off and out the squad , Why ??

Unfortunately managers do make decisions that us outsiders can't comprehend.

Personally I've never forgave Sir Alf Ramsay for taking Bobby Charlton off when we were 2-0 up against West Germany. We were coasting and would have cruised through and then done the Eyeties in the semi to set up what would have been the greatest World Cup Final of all time.

We'd already played extremely well against Brazil in the Group stage, ("that tackle by Moore", "Banks save from Pele" etc), narrowly losing 1-0, but by no means out played.

Poor decision from Ramsay. He wanted to rest Charlton for the semi-final......the Germans hopes shot up when they saw Englands playmaker trooping off to be replaced by feckin Alan Mullery.....christ on a bike.....Alan feckin Mullery... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/angry' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':angry:' />

Unfortunately managers do make decisions that us outsiders can't comprehend.

Personally I've never forgave Sir Alf Ramsay for taking Bobby Charlton off when we were 2-0 up against West Germany. We were coasting and would have cruised through and then done the Eyeties in the semi to set up what would have been the greatest World Cup Final of all time.

We'd already played extremely well against Brazil in the Group stage, ("that tackle by Moore", "Banks save from Pele" etc), narrowly losing 1-0, but by no means out played.

Poor decision from Ramsay. He wanted to rest Charlton for the semi-final......the Germans hopes shot up when they saw Englands playmaker trooping off to be replaced by feckin Alan Mullery.....christ on a bike.....Alan feckin Mullery... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/angry' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':angry:' />

I've never forgiven Alf Ramsay for playing Geoff Hurst instead of Jimmy Greaves....

We had 3 games in a week, and he made changes. If we had won would you be complaining? How many times does Alex Ferguson change five (or more) of his eleven, and they seem to do pretty well. He's used some pretty average players in his years (average for a regular title winning side).

You can't compare us to Man Utd, that's just ridiculous. Ferguson doesn't drop senior players for 15 and 16 year olds in League games and has a much stronger squad with players.

Also Cywka and Maguire have only started 2 games this season each, fitness would not of been a problem so the 3 games in a week is rubbish.

You can't compare us to Man Utd, that's just ridiculous. Ferguson doesn't drop senior players for 15 and 16 year olds in League games and has a much stronger squad with players.

Also Cywka and Maguire have only started 2 games this season each, fitness would not of been a problem so the 3 games in a week is rubbish.

You can't say Derby are Man Utd, but you can compare a similar situation, he's dropped/subbed stars for nobodies like Federico Macheda, who have made match winning contributions, how is this any different to our situation?

Your second statement is nonsense, you haven't factored in a variable called S.Davies, he is why Cywka and Maguire haven't gotten into the team. This is only an issue now because he is injured, if he weren't, he'd still be starting every game.

How many games has Berbatov started this year?

You can't say Derby are Man Utd, but you can compare a similar situation, he's dropped/subbed stars for nobodies like Federico Macheda, who have made match winning contributions, how is this any different to our situation?

Your second statement is nonsense, you haven't factored in a variable called S.Davies, he is why Cywka and Maguire haven't gotten into the team. This is only an issue now because he is injured, if he weren't, he'd still be starting every game.

Cwyka started at forest...was Davies injured then? He was on the bench so I'm guessing not.

Cwyka started at forest...was Davies injured then? He was on the bench so I'm guessing not.

Which goes back to the post you made @#43. But 9/10 S.Davies is the go too guy, so Cwyka & Maguire only starting twice isn't a big deal for me, especially during a period where we picked up points.

To be fair Doyle, Bennett and Ball have all impressed in the reserves or for their country so I don't blame Clough for giving them a chance. Especially when we are down to the bare bones.

After Saturdays showing I think Doyle has messed up his chance and Ball doesn't seem to impress either. Maguire will be back in the fold soon.

See where you are going with this and it's hardly the same as we haven't got a Rooney, Hernandez and Welbeck to fall back on.

It's all relative. No we haven't got Welbeck but then again we haven't got . Berbatov was their top scorer last year (I think) and now can't get a game. Odd.

reserve team football is totally different to ccc football as is junior internationals. Clough is always saying " he didn't impress in the reserves". Reserve team football is a fitness excercise for most teams and is for players coming back from injuries. It is not important where you finish in the reserve league.

If it doesn't matter where you finish, why bother with a league? Why not just have a range of friendlies throughout the season?

Does anyone think that some of the players played above themselves initially, running on Adrenalin, and excitement at being drawn

into a vastly higher grade of football.

Then after a time the realized that they were not up to performing at Championship level, training etc.

Then the niggles start with over extending themselves, just a thought

reserve team football is totally different to ccc football as is junior internationals. Clough is always saying " he didn't impress in the reserves". Reserve team football is a fitness excercise for most teams and is for players coming back from injuries. It is not important where you finish in the reserve league.

Well, Clearly Nigel wants to see players working hard and showing what they can do in the reserves. If they can't do that in a reserve game, how on earth can they do it in a compeititve match?

I don't know how much more clear Nigel has made it. Players need to show what they can do and work hard in training and the reserves, and they will be picked on that basis. A lot of clubs have that policy.

Football is not just about working hard its also about ability and class and maguire has shown both qualities when given a chance and cywka has ability also and the manager needs to develop that as he must of liked what he saw when he tracked them. Theo is improving but he has been given a run in the team. As it stands at the moment it looks like clough will not play tomaz or maguire unless they play great in the reserves and when and if they get a chance in 1st 11 again if they make a mistake or 2 they are out again. Next clough is saying tyson will be the answer up front when fit but him and riggot are nowhere to be seen hope he's right though

I agree it's not just about working hard - but think of it this way. Imagine the players turning up at training on the dot every day, giving their absolute all to improve to their absolute best to play for the shirt, and then along comes a new flash young scot in his flash car 5 minutes late who looks slightly interested, looks a little bit crap on the training pitch and could perhaps run a little bit faster, but then when it comes to match day that player gets picked just because he looked decent in the SPL last season and has bags more potential. That wouldn't go down well at all.

Archived