Next England Manager

Day

I hope you are right about Arry...he simply isnt good enough.

Arsene would be a great appointment, as would Jose.

What people forget is that it is still one of the best jobs in the game, if you get it right you are a national treasure..... Get it wrong on the other hand and, well.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The original post on this thread said something along the lines of 'if you don't give a boo hoo about England, don't bother posting'.

To turn that on it's head, the next England manager - the way he handles the press, the team he picks, the tactics he uses, and his standing in the game - might turn people to give a boo hoo.

If we have Wenger, who promotes entertaining football and young players and is really well respected - I'd probably start watching England again.

If we pick someone who's idea of man management is telling the press his wife would have scored an opportunity his striker missed, someone who was going to send Bale out on loan, someone who is having a criminal case investigated against him, and someone who will probably stick with Terry, Lampard etc until they can no longer run - I'm probably not going to watch.

What people forget is that it is still one of the best jobs in the game, if you get it right you are a national treasure..... Get it wrong on the other hand and, well.

But who's the last England manager to leave his reputation in tact? Robson?

But who's the last England manager to leave his reputation in tact? Robson?

yep, because he was the last one who looked like winning anything...the rest, including Venables, have been medicore at best, apart from Fabio of course, when he brings the trophy home next year for us......

yep, because he was the last one who looked like winning anything...the rest, including Venables, have been medicore at best, apart from Fabio of course, when he brings the trophy home next year for us......

Ah forgot about Venables, I remember getting very excited after the 4-1 win. Didn't' last though. Although it's probably the last time I didn't feel embarrassed by the national side.

Ah forgot about Venables, I remember getting very excited after the 4-1 win. Didn't' last though. Although it's probably the last time I didn't feel embarrassed by the national side.

Our performance in Euro 96 was blown out of all proportion by the whole "feel good factor" of the Three Lions etc and the 4-1 win against the Dutch.

That was a GREAT perfomrance, but when you actually look at the tournament, we drew with the Swiss, beat Scotland (and they missed a penalty) then were outplayed for 120 minutes against Spain, who had a perfectly good goal ruled out, then the Germans were better than us.

But....Gazza's goal against the sweaty's will long live in my memory....and Gary Neville jumping over the advertisment horings in front of us as he pinged in the cross for Shearer...wow...how desperately do we need a modern day version of those three now...?

He's got to be English, that's all I care about.

To limit it to one person, Harry Redknapp (who I wouldn't mind actually) is typical of the way English football has changed. Nobody is given a chance and are pretty much sentenced to death before they begin their first day.

Plenty of English managers available with the right mentality. Steve Mclaren had the job ffs. STEVE MCLAREN.

He's got to be English, that's all I care about.

To limit it to one person, Harry Redknapp (who I wouldn't mind actually) is typical of the way English football has changed. Nobody is given a chance and are pretty much sentenced to death before they begin their first day.

Plenty of English managers available with the right mentality. Steve Mclaren had the job ffs. STEVE MCLAREN.

The reason they will fail is because of your opening statement....hes got to be English thats all i care about... What a load of garbage, surely you should be sayIng "hes got to be GOOD ENOUGH thats all i care about"!!!!!!

That's where our opinions differ, I think there are plenty of English managers who would be good enough.

What's the glaring difference between Redknapp and Clough for example? Experience?

Villas Boas is in charge of Chelsea, not a lot of experience. But he got the job. Based on what?

That's where our opinions differ, I think there are plenty of English managers who would be good enough.

What's the glaring difference between Redknapp and Clough for example? Experience?

Villas Boas is in charge of Chelsea, not a lot of experience. But he got the job. Based on what?

Having worked at Chelsea previously, and doing very well at Porto. He's young, but don't mistake that for lack of experience.

I'm not sure what point you're making about Clough and Redknapp.

Whats the difference between them as managers? One's got money, the other hasn't.

As an international manager you don't have transfer funds, just a set of payers to pick from. Since there is no transfer money involved, maybe Clough would serve better?

Just 2 examples. Nigel Adkins seems like a good manager to me as well, why wouldn't somebody like him be looked at rather than a Redknapp or a well known foreigner?

Germany 1 - 5 England?

Yes but I was thinking of how I felt about our team at that moment in time, rather than an individual performance. That always felt like a one-off to me.

As Muespach says maybe the Dutch result made us feel overoptimistic with that team, but looking at the players we had it still looks better than anything we've had since.

But these were all my subjective feelings at the time, not really trying to get into a debate. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Harry Redknapp for me but I can't see an Englishman going for it somehow because that job is bloody jinxed.

PS, for you campers who didn't know - Mick McCarthy is English, born and bred in Barnsley.

What Fabio should/would have done if he was going to be here after the Euros, or if he was English, is get rid of every player who will not be involved at the WC in 2014 and build towards that, get 25 or so players aged 26/27 or under and keep them in the squad drop the likes of lampard, ferdinand etc and build a team that will at least compete at the world cup!!!!

Harry Redknapp for me but I can't see an Englishman going for it somehow because that job is bloody jinxed.

PS, for you campers who didn't know - Mick McCarthy is English, born and bred in Barnsley.

His englishness is not in doubt, (even tho he played for and managed Ireland). I fear his wankness may rule him out.. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Archived