Tom Glick interview on Radio Derby

AndyB

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand what you're saying but with only a few months left on his contract and not being backed by the board I can see Clough thinking enough is enough. I can also see some cash strapped Chairmen thinking he's done a good job on very limited resources.

"Not being backed by the board" is very subjective. Obviously, they haven't let him spend millions as that goes against the long term strategy of building up a team and squad that can pay for itself, especially when the financial fair play comes into force. But we have still have spent reasonable sums of money on Fielding, Barker, Shackell, Bryson, Bailey, Bryson plus others I can't think of now. Ok, it's nowhere near the millions that admin-bound Leciester are spending, but our model is much more sustainable. I don't think Nige would even want to buy a team full of mercenries, preferring to get good guys in he can trust. How many of our players seem to decent blokes who are down to earth and honest in interviews. Bryson, Fielding and Ben Davies interviews to name but a few just this season

Although Mclaren seems to think he didn't get the money to spend he wanted, Doughty is trying to copy our methods now. For cleaning up the mess left by Billy, there is no better place to look. Mclaren was even their Jewell, wasting the remaining coffers on has beens like Greening/Reid/Boetang. They are probably now where we were when Jewell left. Except we've got much bigger ground and many more fans.

I think if Nigel had been backed by the board he would have signed a better striker, another central midfielder and probably another full back. These players wouldn't have to have been mercenaries.

I totally agree about the down to earth players - I'm sure the other signings would have been the same.

Great to see the chaos at Forest! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

I think if Nigel had been backed by the board he would have signed a better striker, another central midfielder and probably another full back. These players wouldn't have to have been mercenaries.

I totally agree about the down to earth players - I'm sure the other signings would have been the same.

Great to see the chaos at Forest! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

Yeah, possibly. But I think we only go for it when everything adds up. The price, the wages, the person, the position. It seems to be working as nearly all the recent major singings have gone well.

Yeah, possibly. But I think we only go for it when everything adds up. The price, the wages, the person, the position. It seems to be working as nearly all the recent major singings have gone well.

Exactly - good management - sign Clough on a longer contract! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Treacle moves faster than he does. people are asking for a goalscorer and his goal scoring record is poor.

According to Wikipedia, so it may not be accurate, Parkin's scored 96 goals in 369 games, most at Championship level, which isn't bad.

Probably stands up against the other strikers currently at the club.

But most of all he's different to our other strikers. At least he would give us a plan B if plan A isn't working.

According to Wikipedia, so it may not be accurate, Parkin's scored 96 goals in 369 games, most at Championship level, which isn't bad.

Probably stands up against the other strikers currently at the club.

But most of all he's different to our other strikers. At least he would give us a plan B if plan A isn't working.

Plan A isn't working. That is if plan A is having 2 in-form strikers. We don't. Your right about having him as a back-up and the time is now to bring him in. But if Nige isn't going to give Maguire a chance why bother with another striker?

I agree that we are light and what seemed to be apparent from Saturday is the squad will sweat blood for NC, however we lacked the depth to bring in some fresh legs.

So would I want some additions, yes, I think we all agree there, however I would not want to seeing people brought in for the sake of it, we've been ther and it doesn't work. you get 1 in 8 of loanees that do make a difference, however the return is not worth the risk.

i would like to see maguire starting......that'd be a new signing really.....not seen him yet and if theo needs experience and match practice to improve his game then so does maguire.....he's a short arse though int he.....but pacy...heard he's not dissimilar to commons? go on nige try him with davies.

Oh and clough needs a new contract quick smart or it could be back to square one if he walks at the end of the season

I'd absolutely love Jon Parkin here, yeah i know he wont run all day like theo robinson, but if a ball was in the air, i know who'd fancy winning it. I remember, when he sent dean moxey absolutely flying and he barely touched him. A player you need if you are to compete against the likes of Matt mills, Sol Bamba, Wes Morgan and all the other big defenders.

I'd absolutely love Jon Parkin here, yeah i know he wont run all day like theo robinson, but if a ball was in the air, i know who'd fancy winning it. I remember, when he sent dean moxey absolutely flying and he barely touched him. A player you need if you are to compete against the likes of Matt mills, Sol Bamba, Wes Morgan and all the other big defenders.

Compete against Wes Morgan? You must be joking.

Dont know what people have against loans, after all Jamie Ward, Feilding and Robinson were all loans last season.

We are in dire need of a CM and someone who can put the ball in the net, if we are to push on this season, Im pretty sure that Glick even talked about the loans being an area we would use.

Also where is the DOF, why has it gone quiet on this, or has the money been diverted elsewhere, its easy saying the Plaza is not going to cost anything, but who's time and effort is going to be put into this, that will envitably detract from the playing side of the club.

Dont know what people have against loans, after all Jamie Ward, Feilding and Robinson were all loans last season.

We are in dire need of a CM and someone who can put the ball in the net, if we are to push on this season, Im pretty sure that Glick even talked about the loans being an area we would use.

Also where is the DOF, why has it gone quiet on this, or has the money been diverted elsewhere, its easy saying the Plaza is not going to cost anything, but who's time and effort is going to be put into this, that will envitably detract from the playing side of the club.

I am not sure if the playing staff will realistically have a great deal of input into the development. Unless Theo is a qualified architect as well. Could Dave the club a few quid. ;D

Really good thread this one & very polite so you're all a bunch of t*ss*rs ! There, that's sorted that.

Seriously regarding Chris Maguire, Craig Brown said this at the time, maybe he was right ?

Brown can understand Maguire's motives for moving on but thinks the Scotland forward would have benefited from staying at Pittodrie.

He added: "To be honest, I think another year in the Scottish Premier League would've done him good but obviously there's a lucrative contract on offer and of course his father and his girlfriend think it's quite glamorous, the prospect of playing in England.

"I gave him a good example. Jim O'Brien was doing exceptionally well at Motherwell a year ago and Jim went to Barnsley. When I look at the Barnsley team every week, he's very often on the bench and not a certain starter.

I wouldn't mind seeing Bueno back for a few months. He was excellent while we were playing well, very creative and something we could do with. And as we're going to be playing well for the foreseeable future he'd be a welcome addition.

I wouldn't mind seeing Bueno back for a few months. He was excellent while we were playing well, very creative and something we could do with. And as we're going to be playing well for the foreseeable future he'd be a welcome addition.

I reckon we might see Albert back when we go up. He would do alright in the premier league with his quality on the ball, but this is not the time for players of his qualities.

We've got the right balance and spirit in the squad, we're just a Eustace short.

I still wouldn't mind shelling out for him in January if he looks up at the league table and fancies one last crack at promotion, He won't get that at Watford this year.

Archived