Tom Glick interview on Radio Derby

AndyB

Tom Glick said some interesting things today (if you read between the lines behind all of the spin)

1. We're paying Bywater's wages at Sheffield Wednesday.

2. We're not bringing in any loan players before the Southampton game.

3. Yes Clough is "our guy" but there are no plans to talk about extending his contract at the moment.

Extraordinary!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not surprised by any of that to be honest.

We know Bywater is one our biggest earners and a League 1 club would struggle to pay his wages.

Do we need any players in on loan?

Clough's contract as been spoke about several times already this season so nothing new there.

We know Bywater is one our biggest earners and a League 1 club would struggle to pay his wages.

Clough's contract as been spoke about several times already this season so nothing new there.

I would expect Sheffield Wednesday to pay a decent percentage of Bywater's wages though.

On the basis we can't sign any permanent players until January then I would say yes we definitely need some players in on loan - a midfield general and proven goalscorer have been talked about for months to name but two.

Clough's contract is up at the end of the season. His ability to manage with meagre resources may be of interest to several other clubs so we should be extending his contract.

It isn't a surprise Glick said these things...but it should be! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/angry' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':angry:' />

The Tampa Bay Rays are doing well at the moment aren't they? A winning streak of five.

On the basis we can't sign any permanent players until January then I would say yes we definitely need some players in on loan - a midfield general and proven goalscorer have been talked about for months to name but two.

Who is going to loan us a proven goalscorer? regardless what you think of our current strikers we already have Davies, Robinson, Tyson, Ward, Maguire, Ball and even Cywka who can play up top.

Midfield general, I'm sure we would all love one but who and where is he going to come from? we would be looking at untried kids from Prem clubs or over the hill on the scrapheap sat in the reserves midfielder.

Rather save the money and wait until January.

Who is going to loan us a proven goalscorer? regardless what you think of our current strikers we already have Davies, Robinson, Tyson, Ward, Maguire, Ball and even Cywka who can play up top.

Midfield general, I'm sure we would all love one but who and where is he going to come from? we would be looking at untried kids from Prem clubs or over the hill on the scrapheap sat in the reserves midfielder.

Notts County 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Our Championship rivals have the following on loan

Doncaster - Jon Parkin

Leeds - Andy Keogh, Mikael Forssell

Birmingham - Chris Wood

Hull - Martyn Waghorn

Millwall - Jay Simpson

Ipswich - Daryl Murphy

West Ham - David Bentley

West Ham - Henri Lansbury

Millwall - Brian Howard

Leeds - Danny Pugh

Ipswich - Keith Andrews

Portsmoiuth - Bjorn Helge Riise

One or two of these could have been useful temporary additions to our squad.

Doncaster - Jon Parkin - Big NO, complete carthorse.

Leeds - Andy Keogh, Mikael Forssell - no

Birmingham - Chris Wood - possibly

Hull - Martyn Waghorn - possibly

Millwall - Jay Simpson - no

Ipswich - Daryl Murphy - no

West Ham - David Bentley - Big NO, lost his way big time

West Ham - Henri Lansbury - maybe, although hardly starred at West Ham

Millwall - Brian Howard - can't get into Readings team

Leeds - Danny Pugh - no

Ipswich - Keith Andrews - maybe

Portsmoiuth - Bjorn Helge Riise - no

Most loan players are just cast offs from other clubs and to be honest (look at who we have loaned out, not a single one has a squad number), I'd prefer our own young players like Hendrick, O'Brien playing than a Chelsea reserve who won't care much about the club.

Good call, as if there are loads of proven goalscorers and midfield generals just waiting to come in on loan! The great thing about our squad at the moment is that there are hardly any loan players at all. In fact, is Kilbane the only one?

Things are going well so far and our sqaud has been missing Barker and Green all season, Tyson hardly featured, Bailey out for a while and Miles getting practise out on loan. Those 5 back into the starting lineup/match day squad would improve things.

I also like how we have not rushed into signings. We obviously need a long term left-back, some more experience in the middle and the final piece of the jigsaw will be the goalscorer. Fortunately, we haven't spunked loads of cash on a well known 'name' or paid over the odds for someone with lots to prove. I think we'll buy one of these at Xmas and the remaining 2 in the summer. Then next season, we'll be a serious force. We could possibly go up this year, but it would probably be too soon.

And is anyone serious about Clough and his contract? It was a huge decision for him to leave Burton for us-how it would effect his family and his personal life. Do you think he would suddenly up sticks and go to somewhere like Wigan or Bolton? He's Derby. He's part of a long term plan. He's part way through it and I think he would only ever to leave if he feels he can take us no further or if he is offered the Liverpool/England job!

He said we'll get loans if we feel we're light..... but atm we're fine.

No. We're not.

Nigel said we're not fine. He said we're a bit short. So give him what he wants Thomas Glick. Don't contradict him.

I'm off to count all our fit and available Central Midfielders.

finished.

There's 2. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

And is anyone serious about Clough and his contract? It was a huge decision for him to leave Burton for us-how it would effect his family and his personal life. Do you think he would suddenly up sticks and go to somewhere like Wigan or Bolton? He's Derby. He's part of a long term plan. He's part way through it and I think he would only ever to leave if he feels he can take us no further or if he is offered the Liverpool/England job!

I understand what you're saying but with only a few months left on his contract and not being backed by the board I can see Clough thinking enough is enough. I can also see some cash strapped Chairmen thinking he's done a good job on very limited resources.

He said we'll get loans if we feel we're light..... but atm we're fine.

No. We're not.

Nigel said we're not fine. He said we're a bit short. So give him what he wants Thomas Glick. Don't contradict him.

I'm off to count all our fit and available Central Midfielders.

finished.

There's 2. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

Good points well made!

Archived