Too soon to compare Shackell to Igor ?

ramexpat

Only 2 months into the season and already Jason Shackell is not only proving he's worth every penny of his transfer fee but he's showing great leadership on the pitch and the fans love him, the last player i can think of that has made such a impact at CB was Igor who went down as a legend at Derby, in my opinion Shack is one the best signings we have made in a long time.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only 2 months into the season and already Jason Shackell is not only proving he's worth every penny of his transfer fee but he's showing great leadership on the pitch and the fans love him, the last player i can think of that has made such a impact at CB was Igor who went down as a legend at Derby, in my opinion Shack is one the best signings we have made in a long time.

How about comparing him to Mark Wright.....who was alot better than Igor in fairly recentish playing times.....puts his tin hat on.....

Shackell has made a decent start but lets not get carried away eh!

It wasn't long ago that some were saying Barker for England.

His distribution at times yesterday was poor so an improvement can be made there. We looked very shaky at times defensively yesterday and our clean sheet owed as much to their poor finishing and great goalkeeping.

That said, Shackell looks the part. But then again, when we shell out 1M, I would expect a top championship centre half.

I think he's brilliant.

Compared to the last visit to the city ground we looked so much more of a defensive unit and it's mainly down to him. If you can spare 5 minute of watching all the action then keep your eyes on him. His positioning, communication an leadership qualities are awesome.

Shackell and Barker can be compared to Mark Wright being what we'd call traditional CBs.

Stimac made his impact as a sweeper, a completely different role.

Mark Wright was prob our best CB since the '70s and remember Italia 90 when he was one of the key england players.

Stimac's signing was Jim Smith's career best as Igor allowed him to play the 5-2-3 which blew sides away in that awesome promotion season.

\Both Shackell and Barker are really good and fingers crossed they will get better and better in a Derby shirt. When they play for us in the Prem and are capped, then yes we can start to compare them to Wright and Stimac but be patient;)

His distribution at times yesterday was poor so an improvement can be made there. We looked very shaky at times defensively yesterday and our clean sheet owed as much to their poor finishing and great goalkeeping.

"clean sheet"? I assume you missed the first 5-minutes of the game....

Shackell is bloody brilliant. But he doesn't distribute quite as well as Igor. But certainly worth that transfer fee.

Infact, how much did Leicester pay for Mills? 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

I think when Barker comes back he will and should take O'Briens place when/if he's fully fit. But O'Brien now is easily 3rd choice for me. And if Barker struggles to find his first seasons form we know we're not forced to keep playing him. We know we've got a young lad on standby that will head bullets if he has to.

I think Shackell is more vocal and demanding than Barker on the pitch?? Looks very much in control of the 3 others defenders.

But no doubt we'll give him Player Of The Year and then he'll struggle in his second year. Can't we give POTY to someone who don't play?

Forgot all about Riggott.

But he should still have to get past O'Brien to even make the bench. Needs to get on that bench while Barker is out. Otherwise he'll struggle to get on the pitch if all goes well on the injury front. Shackell doesn't miss many games i don't think. And you'd have to cripple O'Brien and Barker.

Archived