Too soon to compare Shackell to Igor ?

ramexpat

Right back wasn't he?

Barker will get the armband back straight away, he's been announced as the captain this season and you don't take that away from a player during the season.

Club captain hasn't got to be captain on the pitch. On 606 I heard them say about a club in the Prem who has the Goalkeeper as club captain but a midfielder is captain during the matches.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nigel Clough has confirmed that Shaun Barker will wear the captain's armband for Derby County next season.

The centre-back has served as back-up to Robbie Savage as skipper during the last 12 months.

One of Clough's first tasks after Savage hung up his boots following the final game of the season at Reading last Saturday was to decide who would lead Derby into action in the 2011/12 season.

He says Barker, 28, who won the Jack Stamps Trophy in his first season at the Club in 2009/10, has earned the right to wear the armband.

"Shaun will take over as captain, no matter who (experienced players) we bring in," Clough told [url=http://www.dcfc.co.uk/page/player/Home]Rams Player.

"Shaun has earned the right to be Captain by being vice-captain this season.

"When you appoint a captain one of the first things you look at is their leadership qualities, and he is absolutely brilliant in that respect.

"He has been a brilliant ambassador for the Club off the pitch as well."

Barker appeared in 45 of Derby's 48 games this season, before undergoing knee surgery at the end of April to correct a long-standing problem.

[url=http://www.dcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10270~2358641,00.html]http://www.dcfc.co.u...2358641,00.html

You could just say we've got some of the best defenders in the league, and could be quite capable or at least respectable if were in the Prem any time soon. Not saying improvement isn't needed but Shackell has been awesome so far, and we've seen how good Brayford and Barker can be. And with O'brian coming up through the ranks, times are looking good!

You could just say we've got some of the best defenders in the league, and could be quite capable or at least respectable if were in the Prem any time soon. Not saying improvement isn't needed but Shackell has been awesome so far, and we've seen how good Brayford and Barker can be. And with O'brian coming up through the ranks, times are looking good!

With all of those four contracted to at least 2014 it looks settled at the back. Need that illusive left back or two plus cover. Maybe young Cgris Jones will develop well like OB has.

Shackell has shown his quality and is a great signing for us, you can hear him talking and instructing the back four to hold all the way through the game. Gotta say though before they scored I said he should be marking Miller at the set piece and not O'Brien, aerially that was a mismatch, I think we can allow him that considering haha !!!!

Shacks is one of the best defenders at this level now, brilliant signing..

However, like I've mentioned before, what is it with Derby fans and just going way over the top.. Or is that fotball fans in general?.. Come off it man, even the likes of Carbonari, Taribo West, Chris Riggot were all top defenders for us at some point at an even higher level.. To compare him to a top 10 PL player in Igor who'd be worth $8-10mill in todays market is just ridiculous..

Shackell kept Derbyshire and Miller quiet, but they're only average strikers.. He's got far bigger challenges ahead to be compared to some of our top players..

Let's just let him get on with it.. No pressure

Shacks is one of the best defenders at this level now, brilliant signing..

However, like I've mentioned before, what is it with Derby fans and just going way over the top.. Or is that fotball fans in general?.. Come off it man, even the likes of Carbonari, Taribo West, Chris Riggot were all top defenders for us at some point at an even higher level.. To compare him to a top 10 PL player in Igor who'd be worth $8-10mill in todays market is just ridiculous..

Shackell kept Derbyshire and Miller quiet, but they're only average strikers.. He's got far bigger challenges ahead to be compared to some of our top players..

Let's just let him get on with it.. No pressure

it is football fans in general I think, mind you man united fans can say what they want and it wouldn't be an exaggeration, they look unstoppable this year.

it is football fans in general I think, mind you man united fans can say what they want and it wouldn't be an exaggeration, they look unstoppable this year.

I think you're right.. Drives me up the wall sometimes

re Man Utd... They make a mockery of the PL by winning it at a canter year after year.. They're still a long way behind the top dogs Barca and Real though.

I think you're right.. Drives me up the wall sometimes.

People are just excited mate.

We're all so desperate to be that Derby County that finished 8th and 9th that people sometimes get carried away thinking/hoping/praying that it's just around the next corner.

Comparisons are natural. After 8 bad years in 10 it's probably the memories of Stimac and Wanchope and Co that keep people going, hoping it's all about to come again under the son of a manager who's Dad didn't do much worse than Jim Smith either!! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

I reckon all fans are the same, just when things are good they give themselves a boost by relating it to the good times.

Could Shackell handle Man Utd defenders like Igor did? Probably not. But Igor was special. Shackell is only brilliant. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I think you're right.. Drives me up the wall sometimes

re Man Utd... They make a mockery of the PL by winning it at a canter year after year.. They're still a long way behind the top dogs Barca and Real though.

I think this year they are extremely good, haven't seen barca or real play this year but i think they would give them both a very good game.

I hate these "X is the new Y" things. I see why people do it, we all do it, and I hate it when I do it. Who's ever looked back and said "Maradonna, now he was the second Pele". How come after 40 years we haven't reached our 4th or 5th Pele? We've still only had one. Robinho was going to be the next Pele, but it actually turned out he was the first Robinho, which isn't as good as being the second Pele.

Back to Derby - Shackell's not even played a dozen games. If he keeps it up for a season, he'll probably surpass Darren Moore in the Modern-Era-Derby-Centre-Half-Legends-Club. But Stimac? Mark Wright? He's had 6 good games for us, maybe 7.

Comparisons never work.

Shackell has proved to be a good signing but he must keep this level of consistancy for several seasons before he should be even considered in the same league as Igor. What next? Is he as good as McFarland!

Let's try something a bit easier, is Shackell as good as Barker?

I must admit though the team is starting to take shape, solid keeper, two solid centre backs (with decent stand ins), need a bit more strength in the centre of the park and a good out and out centre forward.

Nope Paul McGrath was the most talented and experienced player he ever signed, even tho he couldn't train and was 36! Legend

I see your point, McGrath was class and we were honoured to see him play his part in keeping us safe in that 1st tricky season back up and the last at the BBG. I will never forget those donkey kicks he did clearing the ball from danger, he knew could'nt turn and had lost his pace so he adapted with such style.

But, Eranio won titles with the best club side in the world during the '80s and early '90s. When TBE moved him into midfield from RB, he ran the show for us. Remember the 12 goals we scored in a week? the 5-2 thrashing of Shef Wed (best away game I've seen). The 3-0 humilation of Arsenal......it was eranio pulling the strings from midfield. What a world class player he was.

Back to Shacks and Barks, it would be fair to say that they are the best CBs we've had for 10 years. With O'brien and a fully fit Riggott in reserve, that's one part of the side which we don't need to worry about.

The Non League Nigel tag was always narrow minded, hopefully those of our own fans who genuinely believed this at the time have moved on.

But, Eranio won titles with the best club side in the world during the '80s and early '90s. When TBE moved him into midfield from RB, he ran the show for us. Remember the 12 goals we scored in a week? the 5-2 thrashing of Shef Wed (best away game I've seen). The 3-0 humilation of Arsenal......it was eranio pulling the strings from midfield. What a world class player he was.

Back to Shacks and Barks, it would be fair to say that they are the best CBs we've had for 10 years. With O'brien and a fully fit Riggott in reserve, that's one part of the side which we don't need to worry about.

The Non League Nigel tag was always narrow minded, hopefully those of our own fans who genuinely believed this at the time have moved on.

Seriously, I rated Eranio, class player. But he wasn't world class.. This term gets thrown around too often, yes he won alot being a part player, but thats like me saying Wes Brown and John O'Shea are world class.. If you want world class look at the likes of Schneijder, Sweinsteiger, Xavi, Iniesta, Xabi Alonso, Rooney, David Silva etc.. (Messi and Ronaldo are on different planets to the rest).. Eranio was class, but if he was world class he wouldn't have played for us at a time when he was just over his peak..

As for Shacks and Barker being the best CBs we've had in the past 10 years.. No it wouldn'be fair to say..What the hell? Barker? Seriously? They're both still along way behind our proven post 2000 legends Dean Leacock and Darren Moore who during that season were one of the best CB pairings in the league.

Unless they keep the goals out and we ahieve a top 6 spot I might agree.. Until then, Barker and Shacks have a record that says (bottom half NPC finish).. Though Shacks IMO could well be playing PL football with or without us in a year or two.. Barker, definately not.

Unless they keep the goals out and we ahieve a top 6 spot I might agree.. Until then, Barker and Shacks have a record that says (bottom half NPC finish).. Though Shacks IMO could well be playing PL football with or without us in a year or two.. Barker, definately not.

So if we don't finish top 6 it's all down to the centre halfs not being good enough?

You can have 2 top quality centre halfs but ***** around them and not finish top 6, it doesnt mean the centre halfs aren't top 6 standard.

Archived