Tactics and Personnel - Woefully wrong

Bris Vegas

Are you blind? Or seriously on a windup, played well? Were you living under a rock during our George Burley / Jim Smith days? Or were you too young to remember them?

Those days we played well, we used to go away to teams and attack, and win.. Sometimes by more than one goal..

Nowadays it's a case of 11 behind the ball, 2 wingers who act like covering fullbacks, A CM position for B.Davies that makes him invisible during open play.. And a target man whose about as strong as a 70 year old Peruvian in need of a hip replacement.

Are your expectations that low that you genuinely believe we've played well this season?

During a peak last season we had a front 4 of Bueno, Commons, Green/Cywka and Kuqi/Moore.. Now we have Ward, Croft, S.Davies and B.Davies.. Do you honestly believe we are better off now? Bleddy hell.

Also, what bleddy chances aren't we taking? We don't create f*ck all.. You can't call a ball out on the right wing with Croft and Brayford p*ssing about before Brayford whips in an aimless cross to our only man in the box (S.Davies) a chance..

I'll be giving my opinion via a dodgy stream what's your point? I'll see exactly what you'll see.. Or let me guess, you're a better fan than me because you're going? Your petty insults because you can't contribute anything remotely like an interesting debate/opinion is tedious.. Bore off..

There is a difference between playing well and playing attractive football. The Arsenal team of the late 80s early 90s won most games 1-0 and were regarded as boring, the Arsenal team of today try and walk the ball in to the net with some of the most sublime football but essentially are quite toothless.

Football is a game of defence and attack, we have kept three clean sheets this season which is probably more than the whole of last season. We may not be playing as much attractive football as early last season but maybe Nigel has learned that he needs to build from the back and it is pointless being good going foreard if you can't defend a lead.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is a difference between playing well and playing attractive football. The Arsenal team of the late 80s early 90s won most games 1-0 and were regarded as boring, the Arsenal team of today try and walk the ball in to the net with some of the most sublime football but essentially are quite toothless.

Football is a game of defence and attack, we have kept three clean sheets this season which is probably more than the whole of last season. We may not be playing as much attractive football as early last season but maybe Nigel has learned that he needs to build from the back and it is pointless being good going foreard if you can't defend a lead.

Im glad our manager has learned that.

Maybe oh maybe that some of us hoped that after 3 years in charge weather the manager has had the funds or not that the team would have an attacking style of play by now not just hoofing it to a forward whos strength is not heading or getting it out wide to wide midfield players who cant beat there full back. We just seem to hope that one of our players can make or nic a goal then try and defend it which is what the little dwarf did and gets hammered for.

Maybe oh maybe that some of us hoped that after 3 years in charge weather the manager has had the funds or not that the team would have an attacking style of play by now not just hoofing it to a forward whos strength is not heading or getting it out wide to wide midfield players who cant beat there full back. We just seem to hope that one of our players can make or nic a goal then try and defend it which is what the little dwarf did and gets hammered for.

I assume the little dwarf you refer to is Billy Davies. He doesnt get hammered for the style of play but fir his attitude. Wishing it was Preston who had won the play-offs, whinging about the board etc...

i am sorry but wouldn't any manager know that as a pre requisite of a team to do well, to have at least a decent defense or not leaking goals all the time? he didn't learn it, he already knew it but couldn't achieve it until now.

I think people expecting flowing attacking football and wins by big margins in this league aren't really understanding the nature of this division. This division is so tight and if you take a look at the actual scorelines over the last few rounds of games there is more often than not one goal in it. We played ok away from home yesterday, obviously lacked some quality up front, in the end we got put on the back foot after a perfectly fair challenge by Shacks was penalised.

You win some you lose some, take this one on the chin and move on. O'brien had another good game, didn't make a mistake from what i can recall? Hendrick looked tidy again but i think he needs to start imposing himself on games more.

After observing ou first 6 games I think we've been all over the place with tactics and personnel.. We look far better without Croft put it that way..

Firstly we all know S.Davies is not a target man, nor is he a natural striker IMO..

But my biggest gripe is with Croft.. He limits Brayford.. How many times did we see them 2 playing messing about with the ball on the wide right of Covs box, only for Brayford to then aimlessly hit in a cross to our only man in the box (a skinny, weak, glasslegs S.Davies who offers no threat in the air).. The reason for this is Croft can't take on his man, doesn't cut inside and basically takes up the space for an attacking RB to exploit (ie. Brayford)

If you see any decent team play a 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3 formation or something similar, the right attacking midfielder needs to cut inside to allow the fullback to overlap or vice versa (on the left) and basically be the RM/LM, playing Croft in that position automatically takes out a player from the game, as he does nothing.

Ward on the other hand cuts it, yet Kilbane doesn't overlap, due to a lack of pace I imagine, leaving a gaping hole down our left side..

This needs addressing immediately

All over the place with personnel? We've hardly changed any players all season, even the subs and who comes on. The tactics haven't changed much either. What are you on about?

Basically you are saying that Croft limits Brayford's attacking, Kilbane may not have the pace to overlap and S.Davies is not a target man or natural striker. Hardly "woefully wrong". These woefully wrong tactics kept 2 cleans sheets away from with 2 wins. I wonder what you would have said if Clough had made wholesale changes and we had lost?! We were poor 2nd half yesterday, but the team was set up to nick one and keep it tight. You still don't seem to have seen Kilbane's simple header he put over from 3 yards or Ward's poor effort when 1 on 1 with the keeper.

I love later on this thread when you hark back to the Burley wonder year(s) that some of the young'uns might not remember!

Since i've been alive, there has only been 6 seasons in which we have won more matches than we have lost. (i'm 23) I'm not sure if it is only 6, but that's all i can remember

Glicks fault that is....well 4 of them are.

which makes the good years hard to forget ;) the bad ones just get stacked up apart from the horrific ones.

Archived