Downloading Music

derbydan

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Google MP3va. It's a Russian site and you do have to pay a certain amount to top up your user account via credit card (don't worry, I've been using it for years and haven't been scammed) but the albums are dirt cheap. Brand new release are usually $1.50-$2.00 which is around a £1.00-£1.50, easy to download zipped files and they're compatible with most players...

Downloading music is not necessarily bad.

Yes, it is technically illegal and you are putting your computer at risk of viruses and spyware.

But generally it's beneficial to both yourself and the artist. Often music I download is something I wouldn't otherwise buy anyway. As SRG stated, it is good for up-and-coming musicians. Spending £10 on a new album by an artist you haven't heard of is a gamble a lot of people won't make but if you pay nothing then you'll be willing to try all sorts of new things.

Big artists such as Lily Allen, Arctic Monkeys and Ed Sheeran have actually established their careers on the internet before being headhunted by the big record labels.

In terms of the artists losing money, that is true but they're not starving are they?

Even if they made £0 from record sales, which in the future I imagine will be the case they are still making **** loads from doing live shows.

Lady Gaga made £80,000,000 from her tour last year. Does she even need to sell any CDs now? :p

Think of all those poor downtrodden record executives who haven't enough to buy their girlfriends another Porsche, you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Seriously though those leaches deserve everything they get, they've kept the prices of CD's overly high for years while ripping off the artists as much as possible.

If my band ever got to the stage where loads of people got it for free then I'd still be well chuffed even if I didn't make that much out of it.

That website is invincible. The Swedish government, our government and the US government have been trying to shut it down for five years but haven't managed to.

I'm not 100% sure but I think Piratebay's argument has always been, the laws that the companies like Apple, Sega etc refer to are US laws, and therefore aren't valid in Sweden and hold no legal binding. So that's why they get away with it, could be wrong though.

I'm not 100% sure but I think Piratebay's argument has always been, the laws that the companies like Apple, Sega etc refer to are US laws, and therefore aren't valid in Sweden and hold no legal binding. So that's why they get away with it, could be wrong though.

They're technically doing nothing illegal, they've argued.

All they are is a search engine that finds torrents, google also performs this function but it is a legitimate company that trades on the stock market.

Fair point imo.

They're technically doing nothing illegal, they've argued.

All they are is a search engine that finds torrents, google also performs this function but it is a legitimate company that trades on the stock market.

Fair point imo.

Indeed.

All it takes is a 'The Planet of the Apes torrent' search and bam. Youze got ya torrent.

Certainly is... I think iTunes have a huge role in that, for they have made the concept of an album a little bit obsolete. There are singers (especially in USA) that have a string of successful singles but can't sell an album to save their life.

I wouldn't go that far. The pop album is dead, I agree, but the album chart is always full of proper music by genuine musicians who have made it because they're talented. If you're 9 and you like Justin Bieber/One Direction/Girls Aloud you probably can't afford a whole album anyway.

Archived