Downloading Music

derbydan

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
is it wrong really? also is distribution of illegally downloaded music illegal not the actual downloading?

I have been told that too, but I'm not actually sure.

It is for certain that the police don't bother with the downloaders, they just try to stop it at source.

Is illegal downloading illegal? Yes. It is illegal.

Is it wrong? That's more of an ethical question.

Once in a while you hear or read of a news report of some poor bloke getting stuck with millions of dollars in fines (mainly in USA) for illegally downloading songs and movies. So just hope that it's not you.

If you're using torrents to download copyrighted material then you don't have a leg to stand on due to the nature of how torrenting works. Whilst you're downloading from person A, you're uploading to person B, hence you're part of the distribution.

Downloading's a civil offence, hence the police wouldn't ordinarily bother either way.

The only people that care about it are those who wouldn't have a career if it wasn't for over priced CD's, excessive media coverage and it rammed down your throat every half an hour on the radio.

Because they be beautiful.

Some people prefer choice. So downloads were the only affordable way to hear the new music coming out, as opposed to listening to what the people in power wanted you to listen to.

That's the real crime here, the sheer audacity of the people in power. They should be ashamed of themselves, some of the crap they've churned out over the years.

Spotify came out, a wonderful free radio station where you can choose your own tracks/playlists etc..and put up with a few adverts here and there...

...that ended, but for a fair £4.99 per month, you can listen to as much music as you can, whenever you want and without adverts.

Not as good as the days of Napster, Oink etc.. but not far off.

Downloading has helped many artists tbf, actually allows artists who aren't backed by big labels to get heard. I have many songs that I would never have normally have heard of and off the back of that, I would go and see them live.

Pirate Bay has been duff for years. Anyhow I would hope that nobody posts direct links to illegal downloads otherwise I'll set Boycie on you.

By the way Spotify still has a free option, more adverts it would seem and they last longer.

Pirate Bay has been duff for years. Anyhow I would hope that nobody posts direct links to illegal downloads otherwise I'll set Boycie on you.

By the way Spotify still has a free option, more adverts it would seem and they last longer.

Haven't they limited the 'listening allowance' to about 5 hours or something, as well?

Archived