Non-Derby County games thread

ANGERMAN1

All football measures is the ability to stick the ball in the net as many times as possible in 90 minutes.

Naturally, stopping the ball going in to the net is as important as doing it yourself.

I love watching Barcelona as much as the next man, but Celtic did the best they could, kept out Barca as best they could, and were unlucky to be undone at the death.

In that game, Barcelona were barely any better because they only scored one more goal.

That's the stat that counts. 80% possesion isn't measured in the table.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Such a terrible attitude to have..

Football is a game, or should be a game, where the idea is to win and score more goals than the opposition.. If it happens that they both cancel eachother out and it's a draw, well fair enough..

But to have the attitude of going into the game making very little attempt to win is just ridiculous, and it cheats the fans who pay good money to travel and watch their team..

I can understand in cup games or one off games where a draw is all that is needed, you can defend for your lives knowing a draw would keep you up then that is the objective.. On the other hand I would also like to away goals rule to be wiped out of the CL so that you don't get one team defending from the off for 90 minutes and effectively ruining what should be a grand show of two heavyweights going at it..

Cletic deserved nothing, and we're lucky to make Barca wait so long to secure victory..

It only cheats the fans if they have unrelistic expectations. We see so many teams go to a tough away game with a mindset of defending; safe in the knowledge they will always get that great chance to score at the other end.

I see it all the time in football. Yes, a lot of the time they lose and the fans go home thinking what might have been but to go to games playing much better opposition than yourself and go for the win is just plain daft.

You are however right in one thing you say. Celtic deserved nothing as Barcelona scored one more than they did but had they held out for another minute or so then they would have been very deserving of a point.

I very much doubt the Celtic fans traveled home feeling as if they had been cheated. More likely they went home proud of their display and feeling gutted that they couldn't hold them off for another minute or so.

Incredible how the BBC twist things all the time regarding Barca..

Apparently Celtic were unlucky and deserved a draw.. Despite having 1 shot on target and 4 in total throughtout the whole game and 28% possession compared to Barca who had 26 shots on goal, 16 on target and forced Forster into one of the best games of his life..

Yet Shakhtar fully deserved to beat Chelsea despite only having 2 more shots than them and 54% possession in favour..

I'm also amazed at how clinical teams are against Barca or how many goals they concede from set pieces.... Deportivo scored 4 at the weekend against them.. One was a serious error from Valdes (suprised?) from a corner, one was a perfect freekick from 30 yards out, another was a penalty that wasn't and another was a freak own goal from Jordi Alba..

For a leftback Alba has scored 3 in his last 4.. Not a bad record that..

Just the way you believe BBC twist things against Barca, there will be a lot of people think Sky, and you, twist things in their favour.

At the end of the day they have scraped a 90th minute winner against a very poor Celtic team who many believe would struggle in The Championship.

You and the commentators can get as excited as you want by boring tippy tappy passing but even by your own admission football is about scoring goals (as the attacking team) or at the other end of the pitch stopping them from going in.

Forster game of his life? Which of his other matches are you comparing this to? I only remember him having to make one top drawer save, everything else was pretty routine in my opinion.

And then to go on about where Deportivos goals came from, does it matter? Does this not just prove that Barca cannot defend? As other people have said defending is as important to football as attacking is. It might not be as glamorous but there is a reason why Wright, Moore,Beckenbauer, Baresi, Maldini etc are mentioned amongst the greats of the game.

No body will argue that Barcelona are not a great team but your constant gushing over them and whining when other teams find them out can be really tedious.

That said you are obviously very passionate about them, just as I am with The Rams, however, I will always try and take a step back and consider other views on my team!

I think if a team has 26 shots and forces a goalkeeper to make 4/5 wonder saves then they haven't defended that well and deserve to lose.

I understand Celtic going there to defend, getting a draw and deserving it.

But they didn't defend that well. Their keeper deserved to be on the winning team but Celtic deserved a spanking. Any less of a game from Celtic's keeper it'd of been 5-1. Any less luck on the deflection 5-0.

Feel sorry for the keeper.

If that was Derby we wouldn't be saying how unlucky the other team was. We'd be saying how good the other keeper was and how we were miles better and deserved a win.

Barca aren't like Spain. They are for more attacking and direct. They score loads and concede a lot too at the moment

Celtic were unlucky, I only watched the second half mind you. Forster pulled of some great saves to keep them in it, Celtic also broke at speed when they had chance, they didn't hoof it up and wait for the next attack. Stats are a loada ****** in games like these.

They had a corner with a header just wide at 1-1, Wanyama charged straight down the pitch but failed to do anything with the ball, Commons got in a decent position twice but the final ball to play Hooper in just want there. Hooper wasted an opportunity towards the end by trying to take on 2 (I think) Barca defenders, should of held the ball up.

People were predicting double figures like England v San Marino, Celtic should be proud of their performance and feel unlucky not to take a point, Lennon deserves a huge amount of credit as well, yes the SPL is a pub league but the performances in Europe this season have been spot on.

Barca ****** sweaty spaniard tosspots

Just the way you believe BBC twist things against Barca, there will be a lot of people think Sky, and you, twist things in their favour.

At the end of the day they have scraped a 90th minute winner against a very poor Celtic team who many believe would struggle in The Championship.

You and the commentators can get as excited as you want by boring tippy tappy passing but even by your own admission football is about scoring goals (as the attacking team) or at the other end of the pitch stopping them from going in.

Forster game of his life? Which of his other matches are you comparing this to? I only remember him having to make one top drawer save, everything else was pretty routine in my opinion.

And then to go on about where Deportivos goals came from, does it matter? Does this not just prove that Barca cannot defend? As other people have said defending is as important to football as attacking is. It might not be as glamorous but there is a reason why Wright, Moore,Beckenbauer, Baresi, Maldini etc are mentioned amongst the greats of the game.

No body will argue that Barcelona are not a great team but your constant gushing over them and whining when other teams find them out can be really tedious.

That said you are obviously very passionate about them, just as I am with The Rams, however, I will always try and take a step back and consider other views on my team!

A very poor Celtic side? Granted they're not that good, they'd struggle in the Pl but they'd finish 1st in the NPC easily.. Some of their players are clearly a step up from the NPC..

And they didn't scrape anything.. They were absolutely dominant throughout and as Alpha says if it wasn't for the goalkeeper and a lucky goal it would have finished 4 or 5-0..

Barcelona can defend.. That's the thing, they can... Every season they've finished with conceding less than they've played, when Puyol and Pique was the regular CB partnership they had the best defensive record in the world.. They're both worldclass defenders, along with Abidal.. They're suffering at the moment from a lack of height due to Song and Macherano playing at the back, but more evidently they've had a tonne of unlucky goals given against them.. They also have a very substandand GK that they persist with because he's one of theirs.. They'd have won the league last season if Casillas and Valdes swapped sides..

We all know defending is important.. Some of my favourite ever Derby players are defenders (Chris Powell and Stimac).. But a team can defend very badly and concede none, where as another team can defend really well and concede 3 (if the GK has a shocker).. Barca defended relatively well against Deportivo yet conceded 4.. Some goals are out of the defences control.. Penalties that aren't, direct freekicks, poor goalkeeping etc..

Also what's with the 'Barca found out' nonsense.. I found them out in 2008, I knew exactly how they'd play.. They're obviously going to lose some along the way, but winning a record 14 trophies in 4 seasons goes to show that despite being found out (everyone knows their secret) they still haven't been stopped.. They're the best team.. Ever..

A very poor Celtic side? Granted they're not that good, they'd struggle in the Pl but they'd finish 1st in the NPC easily.. Some of their players are clearly a step up from the NPC..

And they didn't scrape anything.. They were absolutely dominant throughout and as Alpha says if it wasn't for the goalkeeper and a lucky goal it would have finished 4 or 5-0..

Barcelona can defend.. That's the thing, they can... Every season they've finished with conceding less than they've played, when Puyol and Pique was the regular CB partnership they had the best defensive record in the world.. They're both worldclass defenders, along with Abidal.. They're suffering at the moment from a lack of height due to Song and Macherano playing at the back, but more evidently they've had a tonne of unlucky goals given against them.. They also have a very substandand GK that they persist with because he's one of theirs.. They'd have won the league last season if Casillas and Valdes swapped sides..

We all know defending is important.. Some of my favourite ever Derby players are defenders (Chris Powell and Stimac).. But a team can defend very badly and concede none, where as another team can defend really well and concede 3 (if the GK has a shocker).. Barca defended relatively well against Deportivo yet conceded 4.. Some goals are out of the defences control.. Penalties that aren't, direct freekicks, poor goalkeeping etc..

Also what's with the 'Barca found out' nonsense.. I found them out in 2008, I knew exactly how they'd play.. They're obviously going to lose some along the way, but winning a record 14 trophies in 4 seasons goes to show that despite being found out (everyone knows their secret) they still haven't been stopped.. They're the best team.. Ever..

Interesting views.

I think Celtic are awful and think they probably have two players that would get in premier league teams.

You really don't think winning by a goal scored in the 94th minute is scraping a win?

Goalkeeper is part of the defence to me and it is very rare for defences to play well and concede 3 or 4 goals.

Haven't been stopped? Have you erased the Chelsea match from your memory?

They are an excellent team but the best ever? Not for me. Take Messi out of the team and they would be nowhere near. We saw what happens when he does not fire last night.

Interesting views.

I think Celtic are awful and think they probably have two players that would get in premier league teams.

You really don't think winning by a goal scored in the 94th minute is scraping a win?

Goalkeeper is part of the defence to me and it is very rare for defences to play well and concede 3 or 4 goals.

They are an excellent team but the best ever? Not for me. Take Messi out of the team and they would be nowhere near. We saw what happens when he does not fire last night.

there not brilliant without puyol and pique

Barcelona are ok, they are just a bit boring to watch, suffer from lack of competition in their league and rely on one player who when isn't on fire, they tend to struggle.

They can't really be that great, otherwise they would have won both the euro and their league last season, instead they won neither.

I watched em last night for last 20 and against a Celtic side struggled to create many clear cut chances, against a side that I would expect derby to give a game.

In fact they are that bad now they have followed derby in offering tickets on groupon!!!!

14 trophies in 4 seasons though.

Iniesta and Xavi are record breaking great footballers.

I don't even really like Barca. Not especially. But they are great.

Although I think they've hit the beginning of the end.

Chelsea were lucky. Messi, Fabregas, Sanchez all missed 1v1's. Messi missed a penalty. Yeah, Chelsea deserved to win. Barca deserved to lose for wasting chances. But Barcelona are still better.

Interesting views.

Take Messi out of the equation and you're only left with Busquets, Pedro, Puyol, Pique, Iniesta, David Villa and Xavi.. Who just happen to play for the greatest National team ever..

Chelsea stopped them? That semi-final victory will go down as the luckiest victory in the history of the game.... A fair reflection would have been around 8-3 on agg. If they played another 100 plus times Barca would win 97% of them.. Chelsea progressing is the equivalent of winning a raffle from over 100 numbers..

They are the best ever.. No-one has ever played at their level consistantly over 4 years.. That side that won the CL under Pep in 2009 was the perfect team.. You couldn't improve that in any way.. Every player was worldclass in their position and every player played to their maximum..

Archived