Is Nigel Having A Go At The Board?

Looks like Keith Hill has installed a new brand of football at Barnsley, i know you cant read too much in pre season but will be interesting to see how they get on, certainly more impressive than our pre season and that's just 2 goals.

I know Cov and ER wouldnt approve of that football but i enjoy watching it.

The first goal was nice but I can't see the defence being given so much space in a competitive game. There was no closing down at all.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bet the moment they get into trouble they'll go into hoof-ball mode though.

Not suprising either, hard to keep that sort of passing game after game when teams become wise to it. Not exactly the most technical side, are they. (Not that we are either, but we're getting better).

We're on about net transfer spend, but thanks anyway. Like i said, there'll be another 3 or 4 teams i've missed that have a net transfer spend more than us in the last year.

But like always, there will be someone who can't see GSE or the investors in anything other than in a.......erm......damn cliches......shiny suit of armour(not saying you fancy men in armour.), who picks on my every word to try and come up with some excuse for them.

The wages i was about in another thread was to do with how much investment there was, not transfer spend.

And there will always be people who move the goalposts when what they post about them is incorrect

Brighton on one player.

West Ham

Hull

Ipswich

Leicester

Cardiff

Portsmouth

Anyone would think we don't have one of the biggest turnovers in the league.

That list took 2 mins......there's probably another 3 or 4 i've missed

Ipswich sold Connor Wickham for 9 million.

One team of a list from the top of my head. i do apologise. It does say i spent two minutes on it.

Well thats the list that you are hanging the board on, so sure you can understand if people do try to pick it to pieces.

On that list, only Leicester have spent considerably more.

Brighton, West Ham, Portsmouth, Ipswich and Cardiff have all got rid of their top goalscorers interestingly.

The first goal was nice but I can't see the defence being given so much space in a competitive game. There was no closing down at all.

How often do teams close down the centre backs quickly? Very rarely.

As i said, i just thought it was interesting they were playing that way. As Alex said, we'll see how they get on doing it and whether they resort to hoof ball. It's how Brighton play and they managed to do it successfully last year, may be a sign of more teams adopting a 'passing' style.

Well thats the list that you are hanging the board on, so sure you can understand if people do try to pick it to pieces.

On that list, only Leicester have spent considerably more.

Brighton, West Ham, Portsmouth, Ipswich and Cardiff have all got rid of their top goalscorers interestingly.

No one’s hanging the board (or not) on the basis of some nitpicking argument about the finances of clubs like West Ham, Cardiff, and Ipswich.

Are you really arguing that the board has provided Derby with adequate funds over the past couple of years to make us genuinely competitive in this league? If so then you must be deluded. Given the lousy foundations and thin gruel we’ve been on since PJ left I think it’s a miracle we haven’t been relegated.

Or are you just getting into some accountancy fizz about the details of this summer’s transfer window compared to other clubs? If so then, so far, there’s still very little evidence of any significant new investment from our billionaire owners. Clough appears to be spending mainly what he’s managed to save from previous sales in the last 12 months and the retirement of deadwood - and he’s already having to bring in loans.

No one’s hanging the board (or not) on the basis of some nitpicking argument about the finances of clubs like West Ham, Cardiff, and Ipswich.

Are you really arguing that the board has provided Derby with adequate funds over the past couple of years to make us genuinely competitive in this league? If so then you must be deluded. Given the lousy foundations and thin gruel we’ve been on since PJ left I think it’s a miracle we haven’t been relegated.

Or are you just getting into some accountancy fizz about the details of this summer’s transfer window compared to other clubs? If so then, so far, there’s still very little evidence of any significant new investment from our billionaire owners. Clough appears to be spending mainly what he’s managed to save from previous sales in the last 12 months and the retirement of deadwood - and he’s already having to bring in loans.

I'm not arguing anything.

I'm stating that it is my opinion that in terms of what we have spent we are not far behind any other team other than Leicester.

I'm also stating that if a manager is signing 9 new players then we should have something like a team that he believes is capable of competing.

I am also stating that the 20 something million that our owners have put in since takeover will be among the higher levels of investments made by owners in this division.

Yes, we’ve been living in a financial golden age. Behind the scenes we're actually competing to buy the best players alongside some of biggest spenders in our division.

Trouble is, ever since PJ left, there’s been that pesky and difficult to shift perception that squad building is suffering from an overly tight and penny-pinching budget.

At one point this unfortunate misperception even had fans protesting outside PP. It’s shocking I know but, even now, some people suspect that, so far, most of what we’ve spent this summer is mainly what Clough’s managed to painfully scrape together from sales and savings over the past 12 months.

I’m sure it’s all been a big misunderstanding. If only GSE were just a little better at getting their message across.

Yes, we’ve been living in a financial golden age. Behind the scenes we're actually competing to buy the best players alongside some of biggest spenders in our division.

Trouble is, ever since PJ left, there’s been that pesky and difficult to shift perception that squad building is suffering from an overly tight and penny-pinching budget.

At one point this unfortunate misperception even had fans protesting outside PP. It’s shocking I know but, even now, some people suspect that, so far, most of what we’ve spent this summer is mainly what Clough’s managed to painfully scrape together from sales and savings over the past 12 months.

I’m sure it’s all been a big misunderstanding. If only GSE were just a little better at getting their message across.

big [sIZE=7]like [/sIZE]

Great attempt at sarcasm. Was there no interest in Fielding, Ward, Tyson, Shackell and Bryson? Please inform me as you obviously have great inside knowledge.

Yeah you've got me there. All of the money from the sale of players just sits in a pot waiting to be re-invested on new players. We don't need the money to meet running costs. That's why the investors have not had to inject money into the club every season since they took over.

And you are definitely right about the mass protests, Pride Park was rocking to its foundations as all 20 of the teenagers stuck two fingers up as singing Yanks Out...I think it even made the national news.

Great attempt at sarcasm. Was there no interest in Fielding, Ward, Tyson, Shackell and Bryson? Please inform me as you obviously have great inside knowledge.

Yeah you've got me there. All of the money from the sale of players just sits in a pot waiting to be re-invested on new players. We don't need the money to meet running costs. That's why the investors have not had to inject money into the club every season since they took over.

And you are definitely right about the mass protests, Pride Park was rocking to its foundations as all 20 of the teenagers stuck two fingers up as singing Yanks Out...I think it even made the national news.

You think the owners have given Clough enough to compete for the top 6 don't you?

You also think that the seson ticket offer was just a routine gesture, don't you?

Nobody else does. Not anybody i know anyway, can't vouch for everyone on here with people like Alex W around:D Love you Alex.

You think the owners have given Clough enough to compete for the top 6 don't you?

You also think that the seson ticket offer was just a routine gesture, don't you?

Nobody else does. Not anybody i know anyway, can't vouch for everyone on here with people like Alex W around:D Love you Alex.

Top 6? Probably not. I think if the manager has signed 9 players (plus last seasons signings) then we should be looking for midtable.

I think the season ticket gesture is much of a muchness. If I buy anything else and don't like it, I take it back so why should a season ticket be any different.

However, thank you for speaking for the whole forum and saying nobody else agrees.

Pretty conclusive!

Why say that if you can't vouch for everyone else?!

So where do you think we should be finishing this season with the resources at NCs disposal?

Pretty conclusive!

Why say that if you can't vouch for everyone else?!

So where do you think we should be finishing this season with the resources at NCs disposal?

Not really. Not if you read the rest of the sentence. But you do that alot. Picking on certain words.

Without knowing the wage bill, and the net spend over the last year (taking into account nobody has been sold for more than 850k) then i'd say anything 14th and above would be good. With our wage bill, it probably should be higher.....but 9 new players and still some deadwood, i don't think it will be an easy job.

Still think we'll have hardly spent a penny in the last year if Bywater and Leacock go. Not with the rumours of just loans coming in from Bloomers etc.

Archived