Killer driver sues cyclist victim's family

Hucknall Ram

One word for this man, c0ck!

A speeding driver who hit and killed a teenage cyclist is suing the boy's family for the damage to his car.

According to reports in Spanish newspaper, El Pais, businessman Tomas Delgado is seeking almost £20,000 to cover the cost of the damage to his luxury Audi A8.

Delgado was driving at 100mph in a 55mph zone when he hit 17-year-old Enaitz Iriondo.

But he faced no criminal charges over the incident because a judge ruled both parties were to blame.

Iriondo was not wearing a helmet or reflective clothing when he was killed and was hit when he rode through a Give Way junction.

Now Delgado wants 20,000 Euros (£14,830) for the cost of the damage Iriondo's body did to his car when he hit it. And another 6,000 Euros (£4,450) to cover the cost of hiring a rental while his own car was being repaired.

Following the fatal accident in the La Rioja region of Spain, Iriondo's family were paid 33,000 Euros (£24,479) in compensation by Delgado's insurance company, which acknowledged his speeding could have helped cause the accident.

Until the lawsuit, the boy's parents said they had pitied Delgado, feeling sorry for the guilt they assumed he felt over the accident.

But Delgado told El Pais: "I'm also a victim in all of this, you can't fix the lad's problems, but you can fix mine."

The boy's mother, Rosa Trinidad said: "This was the final straw, a kick in the teeth."

His father said: "The driver's negligence was the cause of death. If he'd been travelling a bit slower, he'd have had time to brake."

A ruling on the lawsuit is expected on Wednesday, (January 30).

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/killer-driver-sues-cyclist-victims-family-14240

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is going to sound harsh, but had that guy been on a motorbike, rode through the give way junction and collided with the A8 the insurance companies would have settled it between themselves and it wouldn't even have been on the news.

Cyclists have no insurance so the only way drivers can get compensation for damage is through the courts. Yes the driver was speeding but the cyclist was at fault too. Just like those that undertake at traffic lights when you are turning left, or go through red lights. They ignore road markings and traffic lights and stuff, but it's not their fault when drivers hit them.

This is going to sound harsh, but had that guy been on a motorbike, rode through the give way junction and collided with the A8 the insurance companies would have settled it between themselves and it wouldn't even have been on the news.

Cyclists have no insurance so the only way drivers can get compensation for damage is through the courts. Yes the driver was speeding but the cyclist was at fault too. Just like those that undertake at traffic lights when you are turning left, or go through red lights. They ignore road markings and traffic lights and stuff, but it's not their fault when drivers hit them.

No, sorry Dav but its never the cyclists fault.

It is ALWAYS the arrogant, bad tempered, mardarsed car drivers fault.

If these retarded Jeremy "****" Clarksons'" took 10seconds out of their supremely important lives to actually check their mirrors and look round they'd kill far less people.

no most cyclists shouldn't be on the roads, they are slow, don't pay road tax, they can cause accidents through poor riding and not showing exactly where they are going. I would never say before i have seen who's fault it is but cyclists are a pain on the road.

No, sorry Dav but its never the cyclists fault.

It is ALWAYS the arrogant, bad tempered, mardarsed car drivers fault.

If these retarded Jeremy "****" Clarksons'" took 10seconds out of their supremely important lives to actually check their mirrors and look round they'd kill far less people.

Can't tell if your being sarcastic or not, so I'll reply as if not.

A few months ago I was at a junction indicating to turn left, the lights go green, check my mirrors and blind spot all clear so pull off. Done tit of a cyclist cones down the inside of me and turns left, just missing my wing mirror. He ignored the rules if the road, undertaking, and had a go at me for daring to turn left. He was nowhere to be seen when I started to pull away.

Can't tell if your being sarcastic or not, so I'll reply as if not.

A few months ago I was at a junction indicating to turn left, the lights go green, check my mirrors and blind spot all clear so pull off. Done tit of a cyclist cones down the inside of me and turns left, just missing my wing mirror. He ignored the rules if the road, undertaking, and had a go at me for daring to turn left. He was nowhere to be seen when I started to pull away.

No sarcasm Dav.

I take your point that some cyclists are complete nobs, but so are many, many drivers.

A daft cyclist is unlikely to kill someone else.

no most cyclists shouldn't be on the roads, they are slow, don't pay road tax, they can cause accidents through poor riding and not showing exactly where they are going. I would never say before i have seen who's fault it is but cyclists are a pain on the road.

What utter tosh.....I cycle a twenty mile round trip to work, 6 miles on the road and 14 on the beach, at least once a week some twa t pulls out of a junction and tries to kill me.....if a few more people got off they're fat arris's and on to a bike the NHS wouldn't need to be making highly qualified staff redundant, I think cyclists should have insurance because they do sometimes cause accidents....oh and Yr we'll see who's slow when the fossil fuels run out.... it takes me twenty mins to drive to work and 32-36 mins on the bike depending which way the winds blowing.

Horses and cyclists should have to stay on the path.

Cyclists and horse riders may be eco etc, but do they realise that putting themselves on the road actually increases pollution. Slowing down, then speeding up just to pass them causes alot more pollution than if they just got a car themselves.

If you get in the way of pedestrians on the path, then think, why would be acceptable to do the same to cars on the road?

Oh, and stop the lycra wearing thing. i hate it when you start off at the lights with your bum in the air, suffocated by this thin lining of sausage skin showing every bulge you have.

are you having a laugh, if you lot got off your lazy arses then this wouldn't be a problem, and neither would some other of the world's problems. As someone pointed out early on, road tax has no connection with road maintenance so why is that relevant exactly. As you may have guessed I'm a cyclist and the number of drivers that actually look like they are trying to kill you is ridiculous.

Archived