Killer driver sues cyclist victim's family

Hucknall Ram

What utter tosh.....I cycle a twenty mile round trip to work, 6 miles on the road and 14 on the beach, at least once a week some twa t pulls out of a junction and tries to kill me.....if a few more people got off they're fat arris's and on to a bike the NHS wouldn't need to be making highly qualified staff redundant, I think cyclists should have insurance because they do sometimes cause accidents....oh and Yr we'll see who's slow when the fossil fuels run out.... it takes me twenty mins to drive to work and 32-36 mins on the bike depending which way the winds blowing.

frogg we don't need fossil fuels to run cars necessarily, at least we certainly won't by the time that happens. There are cars running on hydrogen, bio fuels etc etc. Bikes will be redundant in a hundred years anyway as the parts and materials needed will eventually have probably disappeared. Virtually every morning when i get a lift with my mum to work there is always a cyclist weaving in and out and going so slow, half the time you don't know when they are going to pull out as they don't think the rules apply to them with their "green" option which has been manufactured half way around the world and shipped here half the the time. Again when i go down to Lincolnshire I can guarantee there will always be a cyclist either being very slow or frankly being dangerous, there are good and bad for every kind of cyclist, motorist, walker etc, so am not passing judgement on everyone, however a lot of cyclists i have seen are dangerous and could cause an accident, plus they SHOULD pay roadtax.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
are you having a laugh, if you lot got off your lazy arses then this wouldn't be a problem, and neither would some other of the world's problems. As someone pointed out early on, road tax has no connection with road maintenance so why is that relevant exactly. As you may have guessed I'm a cyclist and the number of drivers that actually look like they are trying to kill you is ridiculous.

I wouldn't propose road tax is for road maintenance, however cyclists use the road, as do cars and they should be taxed simply as. I am lazy? what a statement and based on what exactly? that i don't cycle? i used too to play tennis but i don't anymore as i prefer to walk to the tennis courts, plus my sense of balance is not too great due to motor dyspraxia and thus i can fall off quite regularly and not feel confident. Also one could say if you didn't use the road then it wouldn't be a problem either, also you do sit down on a bike so your still on your arse technically.

I've never seen a cyclist get angry unless some idiot has almost knocked them off their bike, but how often do you see people getting road rage and nearly causing an accident because they can't wait 10 seconds until they're in a safe position to overtake a cyclist. Some drivers have no patience, and think that cyclists have no right to delay their journey by 10 seconds.

well i disagree, i think everyone should be taxed, yes cycling might not produce any emissions, however as most of them are built around the world then shipped over here i imagine they do quite a bit of damage, not as much as cars but a good bit of damage. I believe everyone should pay road tax simple as.

frogg we don't need fossil fuels to run cars necessarily, at least we certainly won't by the time that happens. There are cars running on hydrogen, bio fuels etc etc. Bikes will be redundant in a hundred years anyway as the parts and materials needed will eventually have probably disappeared. Virtually every morning when i get a lift with my mum to work there is always a cyclist weaving in and out and going so slow, half the time you don't know when they are going to pull out as they don't think the rules apply to them with their "green" option which has been manufactured half way around the world and shipped here half the the time. Again when i go down to Lincolnshire I can guarantee there will always be a cyclist either being very slow or frankly being dangerous, there are good and bad for every kind of cyclist, motorist, walker etc, so am not passing judgement on everyone, however a lot of cyclists i have seen are dangerous and could cause an accident, plus they SHOULD pay roadtax.

There are so many spurious claims in this paragraph it is difficult to quite know where to start. Bikes dissapearing in 100 years? Not a green way of travelling? Both of these comments are wildly speculative.

I cycle every day and whilst I agree there are dangerous cyclists there are also inconsiderate drivers. All road users need to make an effort to be more conscientious.

Plus, not to be pedantic but isnt it a Vehicle Tax as opposed to a Road Tax? Therfore you pay tax based on the vehicle you use. Bikes....understandbly tax free.

well i disagree, i think everyone should be taxed, yes cycling might not produce any emissions, however as most of them are built around the world then shipped over here i imagine they do quite a bit of damage, not as much as cars but a good bit of damage. I believe everyone should pay road tax simple as.

Covered in VAT and other import taxes.

Like i say, cars slowing down to pass bikers who have coasted to the front of traffic lights and need overtaking again cause more pollution than if they were in a car themselves.

The worse thing you can do for polluting is make a car brake, all energy lost.

Wind farms make me laugh aswell. They cost more to build than the saving over energy it produces. It aint time to go green man!

There are so many spurious claims in this paragraph it is difficult to quite know where to start. Bikes dissapearing in 100 years? Not a green way of travelling? Both of these comments are wildly speculative.

I cycle every day and whilst I agree there are dangerous cyclists there are also inconsiderate drivers. All road users need to make an effort to be more conscientious.

Plus, not to be pedantic but isnt it a Vehicle Tax as opposed to a Road Tax? Therfore you pay tax based on the vehicle you use. Bikes....understandbly tax free.

Well i am not saying they are not green as they produce no emissions they are, however as many bikes are made in other countries, shipped over, use parts which are reliant on materials that aren't sustainable,I am saying that in the process of making them and getting them here they cause damage to the environment, is oil in bikes? again if oil is made to use bikes then the bike is a dying ember unless you can make a non oil bike. So you say they are speculative but are they so? frogg's assumption was that cars would run out when fossil fuels die which isn't going to happen as we can power cars with all sorts of things nowadays. I would argue that the bicycle is a vehicle, because it is a structure that gets you to work etc. http://ardictionary.com/Vehicle/709

Well i am not saying they are not green as they produce no emissions they are, however as many bikes are made in other countries, shipped over, use parts which are reliant on materials that aren't sustainable,I am saying that in the process of making them and getting them here they cause damage to the environment, is oil in bikes? again if oil is made to use bikes then the bike is a dying ember unless you can make a non oil bike. So you say they are speculative but are they so? frogg's assumption was that cars would run out when fossil fuels die which isn't going to happen as we can power cars with all sorts of things nowadays. I would argue that the bicycle is a vehicle, because it is a structure that gets you to work etc. http://ardictionary.com/Vehicle/709

Clutching at straws a bit pal...

You have very little evidence about these foriegn made bikes and construction methods - you just seem to have an arguement you are tyring to justify. What about British made bikes...Pashley, Brompton etc.

This is all just a bit speculative.

Of course the bike is a vehicle, but like other vehicles that produce no carbno emmissions (e.g. Eco-Cars) they are tax free. My point is that the tax is payable on the vehicle not simply the fact they are a road user.

Archived