Let's Talk al-Notts Rovers

Day

So that is one crock, and it terms of the squad as it is, 2 to 3 seasons Championship experience, all at very high tension scenarios, a relegation battle and two Play Off attempts.

So far the totality of your signings are one fatboy, and potentially one crock to follow shortly. Bodes well.

How can it be, that your 8 signings, and many of no Championship experience, be seen as in a better sitauation then Forest looking at a crock and a brilliant footballer, overweight or not will do well for us.

We've only got to improve on a relegation threatened squad to better our situation, you've got to improve on a promotion threatening squad to better your situation. I think we both know who's likely to be meeting expectations this year and who isn't. ;)

I can quite understand the League with WHU and Brum and Leicester will be harder, if we do become mid table ish because of the improved level, on what basis is your 8 signings, gonna overturn the improvements of most Championship teams, that will be your main opponents, Brighton, Southampton Ipswich Watford Doncaster, who are the whipping boys? it is a tough League for us to get out, as much as its a tough League for you to stay in?

Would that be fair?

Fielding - England U21 keeper

Shackell - Barnsley's captain and POTY

Bryson - Scotland international and Kilmarnock captain

Legzdins - Burton's POTY

Ward - Already showed his worth last season pitching in with valuable goals

Maguire - A Scotland international with international goals to his name (unlike Findlay)

Robinson - gash - I'll give you that one

Tyson - Very good with a flagstick

Most of those will improve our squad over the previous season's, and for the first time in a long time we're going to have a solid defence - Shackell and Barker, with Fielding behind is probably the most reliable (on paper) defence we've had since the Jim Smith Premier League days.

Main problem we've had in recent years is the psychological stigma of the 'loser' mentality. By gutting the first team we're stripping that out. For my money I'd get rid of Leacock, Pearson and Bywater now and the ties with the disastrous PL season are all but gone.

Plus we'll have Green and Addison coming back in the new year, that's as good as two new signings.

Nigel's already said we're looking for another 3/4 signings still.

We haven't even started looking at the loan market yet.

Bottom line, we're 8 players in already, probably 3/4 more on a permanent basis, and then maybe a couple of decent season-long loans. Yes, much better than last season already.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another debate to be had, of course it is more difficult to improve our squad, Reid has done that and the loss of Tyson, McKenna, Adebola,Bennett, Earnshaw at this stage has weakened our squad, not as much as you think, but the same optimism of improvement as your 8, should be shared with the Garners McGoldricks Andersons and McClearys with the very strong possibility of regular berths for McGugan and Majewski, and the skills of Reidy, with Findlay, may just football our way there.

We would never sign 8 to improve our level, too mush dosh? not the plan? but we have players that can come in, and only 3 more, and we can try to bridge the gap.

So, optimism is one thing, but football will tell!

Another debate to be had, of course it is more difficult to improve our squad, Reid has done that and the loss of Tyson, McKenna, Adebola,Bennett, Earnshaw at this stage has weakened our squad, not as much as you think, but the same optimism of improvement as your 8, should be shared with the Garners McGoldricks Andersons and McClearys with the very strong possibility of regular berths for McGugan and Majewski, and the skills of Reidy, with Findlay, may just football our way there.

We would never sign 8 to improve our level, too mush dosh? not the plan? but we have players that can come in, and only 3 more, and we can try to bridge the gap.

Earnshaw will be a big loss, he's easily the best striker that you've got. Findlay's an unknown at this level, but his record at international level speaks for itself - 0 goals in 4 years - during which time the United States will have played countless games against the likes of Honduras and El Salvador. Garner, McGoldrick can't really be seen as improvements to your first team, otherwise they'd have been first choice over the likes of Earnshaw last season.

You may make the playoffs, but I can't see you going up, or even realistically threatening to do so. Leicester are throwing stupid money around already, WHU and Brum will both have half decent squads already further bolstered by parachute payments, and then we still don't really know what to expect from Cardiff and Reading. Middlesborough finished last season strongly as well so it wouldn't surprise me to see them have a decent push next season as well.

Alternatively, for us, Peterborough, Brighton, Watford, Barnsley, Coventry, Palace, Doncaster - are all eminently beatable. Can't see us finishing anywhere near the bottom three this time around.

Elvis you must be the only Forest fan that isn't concerned at the situation. McClaren is bricking it and rightly so, 9 players out of an already thin squad and 1 in, you don't need 8 players in, you need 12-15.

Talking about promotion at this stage is daft to say the least. If Garner, McCleary and Mcgoldrick are the players to take you up I seriously think you should lay off the wine.

McClaren may pull it out the bag at the last minute and bring some quality players in, with your squad as it is now you would be lucky to finish mid-table.

Elvis you must be the only Forest fan that isn't concerned at the situation. McClaren is bricking it and rightly so, 9 players out of an already thin squad and 1 in, you don't need 8 players in, you need 12-15.

Talking about promotion at this stage is daft to say the least. If Garner, McCleary and Mcgoldrick are the players to take you up I seriously think you should lay off the wine.

McClaren may pull it out the bag at the last minute and bring some quality players in, with your squad as it is now you would be lucky to finish mid-table.

Im not concerned mate; however give me another week without any deals being agreed or completed and then i will be!! lol

Mr. McClown does'nt agree with you...................

Nottingham Forest manager Steve McClaren says he needs new players in before their pre-season trip to Portugal next Wednesday.

Nine players have so far left the City Ground with only Andy Reid coming in.

McClaren told BBC Radio Nottingham: "It would be great to see some new faces because at the moment we don't have a squad big enough to work with.

"We've just got to keep going and realise the urgency of the situation that we need players."

Forest have made an approach to sign Newcastle winger Wayne Routledge and are being linked with a number of other players, including Bristol City striker Nicky Maynard.

But McClaren says he understands why many supporters are getting concerned at the lack of transfer activity.

"It's very difficult to think of anything but assembling a squad and we have eight players to bring in," he added.

"I join their concerns and I think the big headline is that we need players.

"We are eight players short but it's important that we get the right quality and when you're doing that it is difficult to negotiate with clubs and with agents.

"There's a lot going on behind the scenes, everyone's ferreting around and working so hard."

Forest will play one game while in the Algarve against a Tottenham Hotspur XI.

Forest aren't in as bad as a position that you make out Staffs.. They might have lost 6 or 7 players, but how many of those are first teamers? They had a huge squad before, too big if you ask me, and only Earnshaw could be classed as a first teamer.. Remember Dexter Blackstock is yet to come back, he was their best striker, not Earnshaw..

Forests squad might have got weaker, but their first 11 could potentially be stronger than what it was at this stage last season, with their youngsters getting better and a couple more signings (Routledge and Reid will improve them for starters)

This myth that you need 30 players to get promoted is ridiculous and incorrect.. You need a healthy decent first 11 and players who know their roles and can do a job (could be youngsters, loans, reserves) to fill in when injuries/suspensions occur.. When Reading won the league with 106 points they used 19 players all season and had a starting 11 that started well over 30 games.. Forest could actually have that? Who knows?

As for us Rams, I don;t get the optimism.. Our best team from last year included Commons, Kuqi/Moore, Cywka, Bueno, Green, Moxey, Savage... Bryson we all imagine will be better than Savage, but maybe he's just another Bob Malcolm or Stephen Pearson ie. cack.. And are you honestly trying to convince me that a front 4 of Tyson, Ward, Maguire and Davies is better than Cywka/Green, Commons, Moore and Bueno.. A front 4 full of skill, creativity, vision and movement or a front 4 full of huffing and puffing and most likely no end product..

Our squad looks fresher and younger than last season, we still have huge numbers.. But our starting 11 looks alot weaker, and to think we're all of a sudden going to overhaul a team that's finished in the playoffs for the past 2 seasons just because they've lost a few squad players and we've added 8 players (of only Shackell and possibly Bryson are better than what we had last season - a team that finished 19th with less than 50 points) then you're quite possibly going to be in for a shock this season.. I refuse to get carried away, I've seen it all before with a shed load of new signings not improving the team (Jewell)

I don't drink, nor have I ever taken drugs?

There is a concern for Forest to acquire the right signings to challenge for the Automatic berth, being as we have a young squad, only a couple of additions will give us a good chance for Play Offs and maybe the football will give us the same as Leicester in buying all and sundry.

Our worse scenario would be Mid Table, whilst I'm sure we all agree Mid Table for Derby would be a success?

At some stage, the game is about Football, Blackpool done it Loanees, Norwich with loads a signings? swanseas with loads a signings?

We need a goalscorer, and my examples are we may have him here already.

We need a leader as McKenna gone and maybe Moussi next

We need a Left Back for sure.

After that, we've seen the Forest football v WBA away and Earnshaw didn't play. We've seen the unbeaten runs, Away and at Home, and Earnshaw hardly played, we've also now seen the Derby double, so you know what we have, and you'd love nothing more than this Media frenzy to be right.

Your in for a shock, we have a few touch footballers here now, Billy wouldn't play um, I think SM will!

Looking good from the Shed!

Swansea City have made a bid of around £1.5m for Newcastle United midfielder Wayne Routledge.

"We have expressed an interest in Routledge and are in discussions with Newcastle," a Swansea spokesman told BBC Wales Sport.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14104170.stm

How does that song go again......erm......oh yeah!

Another one bites the dust

And another one gone, and another one gone

Think that was Tricky Tree. I heard Whittingham and Pratley are both very close to joining now, they are best mates with the guy who runs the newsagent not that far from the Shitty Ground.

Nah mcgugan is going nowhere, we are not a selling club! Plus it would be very hypocritical for doughty to preach that we have a good batch of youngsters coming through and then sell one of the youngsters who has come through and made an impact.

Extremely happy boy if the routledge deal goes through!!!

You can't make the 25 man squad yet without youth players involved.

Sounds to me like McClaren is slightly concerned, maybe Elvis should nip round and reassure him that they already have a automatic promotion winning squad.

Steve if your reading, chances are you are probably not, but if you are quit now before it get's messy.

Archived