Let's Talk al-Notts Rovers

Day

A friendly in Jan ?

[size=3]The European Super Cup match was between the 1978/79 winners of the European Cup, Nottingham Forest, and European Cup-Winners' Cup, Barcelona[/size]

[size=3]Face it mate Forest beat the best teams in Europe[/size]

[size=3]WE beat the european cup holders Liverpoo over two legs[/size]

[size=3]Then went on after winning the biggest prize in Europe to beat Barcelona in a playoff between champions of Europe[/size]

[size=3]Liverpool & Barcelona in Europe [/size]

[size=3]Forest did it at the higest level & take there place in history as great champions[/size]

Barcelona weren't even one of the top three Spanish sides in that era. This was at a time when Real Madrid dominated the Spanish league. Did you play them?

Liverpool - European Cup holders, fresh from beating another glorified European pub team, Bruges.

We played Benfica, Juventus and Real Madrid. Forest probably had the easiest route to a final in European Cup history.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Barcelona weren't even one of the top three Spanish sides in that era. This was at a time when Real Madrid dominated the Spanish league. Did you play them?

Liverpool - European Cup holders, fresh from beating another glorified European pub team, Bruges.

We played Benfica, Juventus and Real Madrid. Forest probably had the easiest route to a final in European Cup history.

Which time ?

You see we went for two years beating the best teams from that era. Forest did what Derby could not. Forest won,then went on to win again. Only a handful of teams have every won the European cup more than once even less have won it back to back.

Forest also went to Wembley 3 times in a row during that period winning the cup twice & played in the UEFA super cup final twice ( winning it once ) They also came runners up in the World Club Championship.

While posting a 42 game unbeaten run in the league.

You can try to belittle the great mans achievement if you want.

But the facts say your wrong !

Which time ?

You see we went for two years beating the best teams from that era. Forest did what Derby could not. Forest won,then went on to win again. Only a handful of teams have every won the European cup more than once even less have won it back to back.

Forest also went to Wembley 3 times in a row during that period winning the cup twice & played in the UEFA super cup final twice ( winning it once ) They also came runners up in the World Club Championship.

It was a great time for you, it was also a great time for English clubs dominating Europe, Liverpool and Villa

Which time ?

Yes, the league, everything else pales into insignificance against the league. Far harder to win over a 42 game season than a tin pot where you can avoid the best sides in Europe through the luck of the draw.

Of course we've won the league TWICE. Anyone can fluke it once, as you proved. Only great sides win it more than ONCE. We knew that, that's why we concentrated on a second league title over a European jolly boys.

Of course, by the time Brian got to Forest, winning the league was old hat - been done already.

The great man knew the importance of the league over Europe, that's why his league winner's medal with Derby was his most treasured possession.

Yes, the league, everything else pales into insignificance against the league. Far harder to win over a 42 game season than a tin pot where you can avoid the best sides in Europe through the luck of the draw.

Of course we've won the league TWICE. Anyone can fluke it once, as you proved. Only great sides win it more than ONCE. We knew that, that's why we concentrated on a second league title over a European jolly boys.

Of course, by the time Brian got to Forest, winning the league was old hat - been done already.

The great man knew the importance of the league over Europe, that's why his league winner's medal with Derby was his most treasured possession.

Clough has always said his 42 game unbeaten run was his greatest achievement in fooball.

But alas for Forest & Derby we are not up there with the front runners anymore.

Will ethier team make it back to the prem ?

Clough has always said his 42 game unbeaten run was his greatest achievement in fooball.

But alas for Forest & Derby we are not up there with the front runners anymore.

Will ethier team make it back to the prem ?

Not anytime soon I doubt. Part of the reason why modern football is sh1te - it's all geared towards keeping the big teams big, and the same few clubs challenging for honours year in, year out.

The likes of Derby, Forest, even Leeds, winning the league again, almost non-existent.

I wonder if teams from England will dominate again ?

Or are the Spanish out of reach ?

English and Spanish sides will dominate for years to come. Italy isn't what it once was, and everyone else is far, far behind.

I hate them with every molecule of my fit, svelt, 40 year old tanned body, BUT one thing you cannot deny is they were the best team in Europe for two whole seasons.

Yes, the might only have had to beat a team of part time pig farmers from Sweden to actually WIN it, but to get there they beat some great sides..... didn't they beat Liverpool 8i can't be bothered to google it to find out, it makes me sick) and Munchangladbach. And don't forget that this was the time that only the champions got in it and more importantly you lost on game and you were out of it... not like the crap competetion now where you can finish 4th in the league, lose 20 games in the competetion AND still win it...

having said all that.....scummy club.....scummy fans....etc etc... :-)

I hate them with every molecule of my fit, svelt, 40 year old tanned body, BUT one thing you cannot deny is they were the best team in Europe for two whole seasons.

Yes, the might only have had to beat a team of part time pig farmers from Sweden to actually WIN it, but to get there they beat some great sides..... didn't they beat Liverpool 8i can't be bothered to google it to find out, it makes me sick) and Munchangladbach. And don't forget that this was the time that only the champions got in it and more importantly you lost on game and you were out of it... not like the crap competetion now where you can finish 4th in the league, lose 20 games in the competetion AND still win it...

You are spoiling my fun. You know how mardy they get when we belittle the tin cups. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/angry' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':angry:' />

Red_Dawn, you seem fairly levelled - but in your opinion, if you was going to spend that sort of money on a player, would a striker be the first position you would look to?

I only say this because, again, looking at the squad you've got central midfielders and strikers falling out the ground and into the trent, yet (if cox signs) that will mean 3 of your signings are in them positions.

Miller, Blackstock, Findley, Tudgay, Derbyshire, and McGoldrick (6 strikers), Cox will make it 7.

Gillett, Harding, Moussi, Cohen, Mcgugan, Greening, Guedioura and Majewski (7 central midfielders)

which is all well and good, but you only have a squad of 22 at the minute and 13 of them cover 4 positions on the pitch 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' />

We need another central defender, a couple of wingers and a striker. CB is the main priority though.

Not sure of Halford is going to be good enough to play there.

I don't know - I would say, from outside looking in... in this order

a centre back - a leader, an established consistent centre back

right midfielder - with pace, because reid has none.

centre back - another one, this time less apparent perhaps as back up.

left back - you have one left back, a couple is needed for a 46 game season

goalkeeper - is darlow good enough back up? i don't know but 2 keepers is still short.

left mid - if andy reid plays every game this season i'll eat my own ****.

right mid - to back up the first one.

and then you can sign a striker.

And don't forget that this was the time that only the champions got in it and more importantly you lost on game and you were out of it... not like the crap competetion now where you can finish 4th in the league, lose 20 games in the competetion AND still win it...

Ah, but this is the very reason that, back then, it was possible to get a kind draw, catch a few good teams on an off day, and fluke your way through to the final. Forest would have been found out if they had had to contend a group stage. Also, and I'm not entirely sure of this, being merely a 30 year old tanned svelte bod, it's all before my time, but based on the fact that FOREST ONLY WON ONE CHAMPIONSHIP (don't mean to shout, but I wanted to make sure they heard), they must have been able to qualify without having to win the league.

Archived