Clough is now the 17th longest serving manager in the FL.....

GeneralRam

This business that he only still has the job because he is Clough is getting old. I think with the performances on the pitch at times and not producing the goods for some fans if they wanted rid they would have done.

May be it is because he has met their expectations.

Kept us in the championship, reduced the wage bill, overall the club by getting rid of over paid over rated players, develop the academy so transfer funds in the future are not needed to sustain the squad. Build a team that believe in each other and the staff etc.... this might be the reason he has kept his job.

Clough is honest - for example no pay rise, ensure his staff all received a contract. He expects only a few things the same as any manager in any job, honesty, integrity, hard work, teamwork, to do as they told becuase if it goes wrong then it is on his head. (before anyone says he takes no responsibilty for performances against Barnsley he passed comment on if the team selection was wrong in the first half then we have to accept that and look at it)

Clough or not this board have said and displayed that this is a business plain and simple and emotions are not involved in decisions. I believe it is time to move on from the Clough syndrome and probably look at a bigger picture and look at what is taking shape as I think that the way things are going is exactly what Clough/Glick/Owners want and it is sustainable and that I think is why he is still in the job.

Come on if his name wasnt Clough the fans wouldnt have been as patient as they have been with what has been on show, cutting costs or not. The players in the first team from the academy werent all just picked up from Cloughs rein, it takes years and years, yes they are getting the chance but that is because there isnt much other option not because they have pushed there way past others. They have done well which is an added bonus, they are all pretty steady, I dont think any will go on and be a top player sbut decent solid pros yes maybe.

I didnt know the club was on its way to being sustainable, I dont think its been metioned or debated on this forum,

You always write a lot but dont really say much to be honest, is your name Tom? All this build a team that believe in each other and the staff, how do you know that? The results havent improved that much. Why do they more than any other team we have had in the recent past? Why he it so great that he paid off leacock, Pearson, Bywater and didnt give teale, Sav, Jay etc new contrats. I think all of us would have done that.

We are what we are, a mid table battling team.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come on if his name wasnt Clough the fans wouldnt have been as patient as they have been with what has been on show, cutting costs or not. The players in the first team from the academy werent all just picked up from Cloughs rein, it takes years and years, yes they are getting the chance but that is because there isnt much other option not because they have pushed there way past others. They have done well which is an added bonus, they are all pretty steady, I dont think any will go on and be a top player sbut decent solid pros yes maybe.

I didnt know the club was on its way to being sustainable, I dont think its been metioned or debated on this forum,

You always write a lot but dont really say much to be honest, is your name Tom? All this build a team that believe in each other and the staff, how do you know that? The results havent improved that much. Why do they more than any other team we have had in the recent past? Why he it so great that he paid off leacock, Pearson, Bywater and didnt give teale, Sav, Jay etc new contrats. I think all of us would have done that.

there were no 'big names' in the team that won the title in 1972

there were no 'big names' in the team that won the title in 1972

I havent said anywhere we need big names. Im not a big fan of Clough as the style of football isnt my cup of tea, but as we are keeping him he does need backing. He keeps speaking off needing 3 or 4 more players to be in the top 6 they should suppoet him. That doesnt mean throw millions and millions at it but when he wants a Hooper, Makie, Salmon etc lets go and get them.

Erm, the academy players coming through not down to Cloughs rein? ******

Yes they may have been at the club before Clough took over but how many had got clues to the first team?

Ball was what 16 when Clough took over, same fir Hendrick and O'Brien wasn't much older. Mason was 12. I think it's fair to say much if their development to first team contenders is down to the staff Clough brought in

Actually in respect of the academy he started again when he came in. Under Jewell the academy was size first skill second (probably why we never had any come through). I worked with someone whos two lads are at the academy who was not getting much of a chance although had skill but were small for their age under Jewell. Clough came down changed the ethos in the first couple of weeks where if you were good enough size didn't matter. They are now playing in the age group above.

Derby under Clough has done more recruiting then any other manager has in I would say at least a decade. They advertise open trials, put events on, put on practice sessions before games in the indoor centre across from the ground, this is all geared to picking up players. It is also why it has taken the three seasons for a player to break into the team.

I was not around at the time of Brian, I know what he did with us was great but I am not that soft to think that if Nigel was not meeting the club expectations then he would have gone. Although the fans in attending and buying merchandise help fund the club we do not have a say who is hired or fired and if you think we do sorry to say this but we don't.

Whether you think he is the right man for the job or not the people who make the decisions believe that he is and that is what matters. I personally think he is doing a good job with the funds and resources available. Yes I would like more but I am also patient as I can see what he and the club are striving for.

Also regarding Teale is was shocking and did not deserve to wear a derby shirt. Savage they did renew and then his time had come. Jay Macevely was on prem wages which he was not worth and is now out of the squad at Barnsely. So no I would not have done any different.

Can't believe you wanted Teale to have a new contract. He went to Wednesday played half season in league one and was then replaced where is he now

Come on if his name wasnt Clough the fans wouldnt have been as patient as they have been with what has been on show, cutting costs or not.

Are you suggesting that another manager could have done a better job?

In my mind, Clough has done a stella job at Derby and his stock will have risen. We are in a very good place this season and we have a very young squad.

Some fans may want rid and they are entitled to their opinion but thakfully we have a board that lives in the real world. What exactly have the fans to be impatient about? Is it Cloughs fault that he has had to rid the club of it's high earners and replace them with players earning peanuts?

Some fans make me sick with their constant sniping at the manager. Get real and accept that in our current financial position, we are in no place to challenge with the top clubs of the division......not until that is the financial fair play rule comes into play.

Agree with this mate, I think were doing fine, Clough doing a good job considering the resraints hes had, If we had got

Hooper or Samon and not Shackell would we be any further up the table? the limit seems to be one marquee signing

per season, as you say after FFP our spending power should be better than 95% of the other clubs in this division due

to our higher revenue - cant wait.

Are you suggesting that another manager could have done a better job?

In my mind, Clough has done a stella job at Derby and his stock will have risen. We are in a very good place this season and we have a very young squad.

Some fans may want rid and they are entitled to their opinion but thakfully we have a board that lives in the real world. What exactly have the fans to be impatient about? Is it Cloughs fault that he has had to rid the club of it's high earners and replace them with players earning peanuts?

Some fans make me sick with their constant sniping at the manager. Get real and accept that in our current financial position, we are in no place to challenge with the top clubs of the division......not until that is the financial fair play rule comes into play.

We don't know if anyone would have done a better job but didn't Jim smith get us into the prem when his ask was to get rid of all the big earners? Didn't burley get us into the play offs doing the same thing?

Also regarding Teale is was shocking and did not deserve to wear a derby shirt. Savage they did renew and then his time had come. Jay Macevely was on prem wages which he was not worth and is now out of the squad at Barnsely. So no I would not have done any different.

Can't believe you wanted Teale to have a new contract. He went to Wednesday playUed half season in league one and was then replaced where is he now

Tell me where I wrote teale should have got a new contract? I said I don't understand why clough gets such a pat on the back for not giving poor high earners such as teale, sav, jay etc new deals or paying off bywater, leacock and pearson. Surely just about everyone would have done that.

We don't know if anyone would have done a better job but didn't Jim smith get us into the prem when his ask was to get rid of all the big earners? Didn't burley get us into the play offs doing the same thing?

The whole football climate has changed since the days of Jim Smith and George Burley. We had international players in those days. Todays internationals demand salaries way in excess of what a club looking to balance the books can pay. Hence the reason that Green is looking for a larger contract.

We are one of the only clubs in the division that are able to balance their books and the ones that can't are likely challenging and looking for short term gain. A very risky policy.

Look at Rangers. Look at Portsmouth. Without weallthy owners who are daft enough to throw money at a club and treat it like a toy then the only way forward is the DCFC model.

We will be the envy of many clubs soon but sadly, the Derby fans or a small minority fail to see this.

Just look what Clough has done. Arrived at a club in near financial ruin. Ridded the club of all of it's top earners. Replaced those earners with a mixture of youth and lower leage players which he is deserving of a massive amount of praise and incredibly this has not had a detrimental effect on league placings.

Sadly, I read idiotic comments on here berating Clough for signing players like Buxton who is the type of squad player that is proving very valuable to the club.

I would say that his legacy will be looked upon with a massive amount of admiration and praise when it finally comes to an end.

Let me ask you; What exactly are your expectations of Clough? Where do you think DCFC should be with the money he has had at his disposal?

The whole football climate has changed since the days of Jim Smith and George Burley. We had international players in those days. Todays internationals demand salaries way in excess of what a club looking to balance the books can pay. Hence the reason that Green is looking for a larger contract.

We are one of the only clubs in the division that are able to balance their books and the ones that can't are likely challenging and looking for short term gain. A very risky policy.

Look at Rangers. Look at Portsmouth. Without weallthy owners who are daft enough to throw money at a club and treat it like a toy then the only way forward is the DCFC model.

We will be the envy of many clubs soon but sadly, the Derby fans or a small minority fail to see this.

Just look what Clough has done. Arrived at a club in near financial ruin. Ridded the club of all of it's top earners. Replaced those earners with a mixture of youth and lower leage players which he is deserving of a massive amount of praise and incredibly this has not had a detrimental effect on league placings.

Sadly, I read idiotic comments on here berating Clough for signing players like Buxton who is the type of squad player that is proving very valuable to the club.

I would say that his legacy will be looked upon with a massive amount of admiration and praise when it finally comes to an end.

Let me ask you; What exactly are your expectations of Clough? Where do you think DCFC should be with the money he has had at his disposal?

We go around in circles, the climate isnt that different to Burleys rein, which as ive put before I worked at the club then. The budget was smaller than the current wage bill that Glick quotes. I really cant see us being the envy of anyone unless we are winning promotion. We have this thing in our heads that we are so well run and every other club above us isnt, there will always be the pompeys of the world, always have been, yet you can run a club well and be pushing on. You are laping up Glicks spin. The FFP isnt going to hurt all these clubs otherwise it wont get voted in, it will end up so watered down, these things always do.

We go around in circles, the climate isnt that different to Burleys rein, which as ive put before I worked at the club then. The budget was smaller than the current wage bill that Glick quotes. I really cant see us being the envy of anyone unless we are winning promotion. We have this thing in our heads that we are so well run and every other club above us isnt, there will always be the pompeys of the world, always have been, yet you can run a club well and be pushing on. You are laping up Glicks spin. The FFP isnt going to hurt all these clubs otherwise it wont get voted in, it will end up so watered down, these things always do.

Really? The average salary has gone up by about 500%. In those days, the clubs owned the players. These days, it's the other way round.

I am most definately not lapping up Glicks spin. He has stated that our incomings must balance up with our outgoings. What is wrong with that? Other clubs cannot do that and I am proud that DCFC is attempting to be morally right and do just that.

You, like many others simply fail to see the bigger picture. A club run like ours cannot be succesful in the current climate but when that climate changes and it will, we will reap the rewards. The day will come when the banks say right, let's demand our money back from these clubs and DCFC will be laughing.

The other option is to borrow money we don't have and risk financial ruin.

clough has done exactly what the owners have asked of him.

cull a squad bloated by the wages wages of feckless under performers, assemble a squad which looks ok in the championship - within a very tight budget.

and for those reasons he is still in a job at derby and should be allowed to continue imo.

(fwiw - i have always been skeptical about the appointment and i would like to see the board back NC with greater funds. but i can see clough's merits and also those of the financial prudence employed by the board.)

Really? The average salary has gone up by about 500%. In those days, the clubs owned the players. These days, it's the other way round.

I am most definately not lapping up Glicks spin. He has stated that our incomings must balance up with our outgoings. What is wrong with that? Other clubs cannot do that and I am proud that DCFC is attempting to be morally right and do just that.

You, like many others simply fail to see the bigger picture. A club run like ours cannot be succesful in the current climate but when that climate changes and it will, we will reap the rewards. The day will come when the banks say right, let's demand our money back from these clubs and DCFC will be laughing.

The other option is to borrow money we don't have and risk financial ruin.

This is where you are listening to Glicks spin. Me like many others dont see the bigger picture? Derby will be laughing when the banks call the money in from all these clubs? I dispair. Is 6th form off this week.

Forest are openly admitting they have no money

Doncaster can't afford to buy and loan players - cashed in on Billy Sharpe

How much has been spent by championship clubs this season? Only Leicester and west ham I seem to recall spending lots of money this season

FFP won't hurt initially but it will bring things in check over the first few years.

League 1 and 2 voted in their FFP despite it having a major impact no reason why the championship won't

Well find out this week there is a meeting at PP on the issue on Thursday

cull a squad bloated by the wages wages of feckless under performers, assemble a squad which looks ok in the championship - within a very tight budget.

and for those reasons he is still in a job at derby and should be allowed to continue imo.

(fwiw - i have always been skeptical about the appointment and i would like to see the board back NC with greater funds. but i can see clough's merits and also those of the financial prudence employed by the board.)

Thanks for the breath of fresh air Rimbaud 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

And well said MCSilks. A series of top notch posts with sound reasoning. Football has to become realistic. Banks won't sanction silly over spending. Only clubs with owners who are prepared to pour millions into them at massive risk can carry on in the Chelski, Man City model. The only way forward is the DCFC route.

Also, just to add to those who say we aren't good enourg for this or we aren't good enough for that..............The team is still work in progress. Hand in hand with the DCFC model is step by step improvement. We have by and large the defence sorted, the midfield is getting there but going forward we still need to improve. Nigel knows this and has said it. Why are some suprised therefore when Nigel is pleased with a 0 - 0 at Millwall at THIS stage of development?

As has been said. We are on the right track.

Archived