John Eustace

VulcanRam

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People are so short sighted, how is a captain of a team that finished above us regarded as one of the most influential midfielders in the division last year, not just by Watford fans but also fans of other clubs due to his presence in the middle of the park and apparently not worth 250k, seriously.. how short sighted do you have to be, not to be able to look past a 10 game loan spell here, shortly after he came back from a large injury? wonders never seize, I don't doubt Watford fans opinion of him, ever since we was linked they have stood by their opinion, I believe signing Eustace will make them a lot stronger in the up and coming season, not just because of his ability but his influence.

Like it or not, he would of improved our team a lot not because he is individually amazing, but because of his influence on the pitch.. we're going to struggle to find anyone like that, more than likely end up with some young player who enjoys running around kicking, seems to be the popular thing.

People are so short sighted, how is a captain of a team that finished above us regarded as one of the most influential midfielders in the division last year, not just by Watford fans but also fans of other clubs due to his presence in the middle of the park and apparently not worth 250k, seriously.. how short sighted do you have to be, not to be able to look past a 10 game loan spell here, shortly after he came back from a large injury? wonders never seize, I don't doubt Watford fans opinion of him, ever since we was linked they have stood by their opinion, I believe signing Eustace will make them a lot stronger in the up and coming season, not just because of his ability but his influence.

Like it or not, he would of improved our team a lot not because he is individually amazing, but because of his influence on the pitch.. we're going to struggle to find anyone like that, more than likely end up with some young player who enjoys running around kicking, seems to be the popular thing.

That's exactly what i think.

I have no idea what any player is worth nowadays though.

The guy is in his 30's (had) only a year left on his contract and has played only one Prem game in 10 years etc.

If Commons goes for 300k, I don't really want to spend that on a player who will probably only be any use for two years max!

See, when you put it like that he's probably not worth 250k. Not at all.

I'd have paid it though if i was Nigel. Because time is getting short and we're short of options in that area of the team.

The guy is in his 30's (had) only a year left on his contract and has played only one Prem game in 10 years etc.

If Commons goes for 300k, I don't really want to spend that on a player who will probably only be any use for two years max!

Makes you wonder what Commons would go for now if someone tried to buy him from Celtic... 3m? 5m?

That argument doesn't stack up though.

Scotland are a different association. Celtic could have signed him on a pre-contract in January and waited til the summer and paid nothing. They paid to get him 6 months early, we needed the money.

It's what they did with Wilson at Forest.

in all honesty i would rather have had eustace than oakley. We need a settled spine of the team for 2-3 years, Oakley probably has a year left in him but more than that and he would be struggling i think. I don't think we will sign Oakley anyway.

I'd take Oakley, he's not that old. And there appears to be a distinct lack of good midfielders that fit into our budget available. I can see us relying on loans from now on, I think we have seen all the permanents that were going to come in. Clough has clearly missed out or been priced out on some of his main targets such as Eustance and Waghorn.

Oakley is 34, in football terms that is old, and we need a settled spine, eustace at 31 is it? is good for another 2-3 years maybe 4 if you are lucky, Oakley is good for 12 months maybe 2 years if you are lucky, i just think he is a little too old and that it would be a step backwards in all honesty.

Oakley is 34, in football terms that is old, and we need a settled spine, eustace at 31 is it? is good for another 2-3 years maybe 4 if you are lucky, Oakley is good for 12 months maybe 2 years if you are lucky, i just think he is a little too old and that it would be a step backwards in all honesty.

As a rule players are playing for longer these days, you could probably play that holding midfield role until 36/37 if you looked after yourself. But you are right eustace does have more time on his side and is steady enough, shame we missed out on him. I'm sure we could get a good 6/12month loan at that position from a prem team so watch this space. I always though Leacock would be better suited in that role so if we cant shift him he would be an option, Billy Davies used to think that was a decent position for him as he isnt super quick but no slouch either.

Agreed with you, I loved Ian Taylor, his 1st season he was outstanding but at the start of the second you could see signs that his legs had gone, by mid- season they had, Oakley is a better player than Eustace but I feel we would have to replace Oakley next season

As a rule players are playing for longer these days, you could probably play that holding midfield role until 36/37 if you looked after yourself. But you are right eustace does have more time on his side and is steady enough, shame we missed out on him. I'm sure we could get a good 6/12month loan at that position from a prem team so watch this space. I always though Leacock would be better suited in that role so if we cant shift him he would be an option, Billy Davies used to think that was a decent position for him as he isnt super quick but no slouch either.

well you could but you would need to be pretty intelligent football wise to make up for your lack of legs in that position, because even though it sounds like you don't have to use them in dm he will have to cover a lot in reality, especially when teams are breaking against us, i would rather have a bit more of a settled spine in the team now instead of chopping and changing constantly as that is no good. Leacock would be good there if he could concentrate for more than 20 minutes a game now, he needs to find a new club as i don't think he will play really well for us again, thus i would have to say no in the end to that.

Archived