New Football League TV Deal 2012-2015

CumbrianRam

The Football League and Sky Sports have signed a new broadcasting agreement to run for three seasons from 2012/13.

The new deal, worth £195m, will see Sky Sports extend their unrivalled live coverage of the npower Football League, Carling Cup and Johnstone's Paint Trophy into 2015.

The League is also engaged in ongoing discussions with broadcasters regarding free-to-air match highlights.

Under the new agreement Sky Sports will broadcast, exclusively live, each season:

• 75 matches from across the npower Football League.

• The npower Football League Play-Offs - including all three Finals.

• 15 matches from the Carling Cup, including both legs of each Carling Cup semi-final and the Carling Cup Final from Wembley Stadium.

• The Johnstone's Paint Trophy Final and at least two matches from the preceding rounds.

Sky Sports will also broadcast highlights and clips of the npower Football League, Carling Cup & Johnstone's Paint Trophy. The agreement encompasses television, broadband internet, video-on-demand and mobile services.

In announcing the new agreement Football League Chairman Greg Clarke said:

"Sky Sports is a highly valued partner of The Football League and we are delighted to extend our relationship for a further three seasons. They are a class act and our clubs will welcome their continued support.

"This has been a challenging climate in which to negotiate television rights, given the state of the economy and the lack of competitive tension in the sports broadcasting market.

"I am confident that our clubs will take heart from seeing such a significant ongoing investment in their competitions, despite a reduced level of broadcasting income, as it provides financial certainty in uncertain times."

Barney Francis, Managing Director of Sky Sports said:

"Sky Sports has had a long and successful partnership with The Football League.

"We have seen the growth of attendances, the huge success of the Play-Offs and some wonderful Carling Cup Finals.

"This new deal will extend the relationship to 2015 and will take us beyond our 1000th live Football League game.

"Sky Sports will bring viewers more live matches - over 100 a year from across all divisions and each of The League's competitions - and be the home of live npower League, Carling Cup and Johnstone's Paint Trophy football."

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does it mean no more highlights on BBC?

Not had time (or the inclination) to read all the detail but if we get to a place where the only games shown are on SKY then football will lose hundreds of thousands of future fans like boxing and cricket has.

Does it mean no more highlights on BBC?

Not had time (or the inclination) to read all the detail but if we get to a place where the only games shown are on SKY then football will lose hundreds of thousands of future fans like boxing and cricket has.

Ah, Bloomers Tweeted this yesterday

"Looks as though the BBC will lose Football League TV rights for AFTER next season. Still radio comm but no FL Show, Late KO etc."

Just didn't read the first 4 words :frown:

Its the lack of competition really, it's a shame, but if the Football League has to generate TV money and there is only one bidder then what can they do.:frown:

I agree with the above posters though, Sky is taking sports away from the people who can't afford their ridiculous prices.:mad:

I personally couldn't care less if the football league show is no more. I think it's a poor program, the format is poor, the presenters are poor. When you watch MOTD you get the feeling of a professionally put together program for a professional league. When you watch TFLS you get the feeling they're trying to do a 'real fans' pitch and make it basic for the true fans who follow their team. But I don't care what some Ssausagehorpe fan emailed the studio about so don't want someone in a different room perched on a desk reading them out.

As for Sky, the only problem I see is more 'local' fans supporting a Prem club instead due to them being given more coverage on free to view TV. If Sky have a highlights show too I hope it's better than the BBC's with a red button option to chose your league and then you can watch a highlights show focused purely on that league.

Wont miss Manish, Claridge or Rosenior. Was better with Chappers though. Was Manish off doing Cricket? I like him doing Cricket...... because i don't watch or listen to Cricket.

At least we wont hear about Leicester every 2 mins. Or ridiculous discussions where Leroy Rosenior gives his indepth professional view.

Manish. "it was an excellent strike and the manager i'm sure he'll be happy with that goal"

Leroy "It WAS an excellent strike and he's the sort of player capable of goals like that. I'm sure the fans will of enjoyed it too."

No? Really??

Just watched BBC's highlights for our game online, and apparently Savage hasn't scored since November? So the money I pay for my tv license goes on lazy people who can't be bothered to check stats, and incompetent boeing people who know less about football than I do!! And that is on the program I do watch, nevermind the rubbish that I don't watch.

Sorry rant over!!:D

Archived