Stephen Pearson

derbyram1994

He had a good game on saturday but excluding that how many people thing he is good enough to produce a good display everyweek. In my opinion all he can do is run and his passing and touches are poor. I also think that he is living on his wembley goal. His scoring record is also very poor saying he doesn't do to many assists etc.

What are your thoughts?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think he's living on his Wembley goal, that ship sailed a long time a go. He's here for his pace in the main.

If he continues with his form, which has been okay of late, no reason he can't have a rotational squad status and play in that central/defensive midfield role. He was brilliant against Swansea, particularly in the second half.

His touch and passing weren't really questioned after that game. Against Ipswich, he did a lot of running but had nobody to feed the ball to. Against Swansea he had both Bueno, Davies/Robinson to feed.

He offers boundless energy and for a skinny, ginger, white fella he has electric pace but really that's all he brings to the team. I did hear his passing and touch were better against Swansea but considering his age and the fact he's a professional footballer they should be a given not an exception.

He's a winger who can't cross or a midfielder who can't pass or score, I'd prefer if we flogged him in the summer...

We've been on a pretty terrible run of late, and I don't think anyone has particularly shone as much as they did in the good run this season. Playing in a team with no confidence is pretty tough and he's done well to turn in a few decent performances.

With some confidence flowing through the squad I think he's a handful. He can run at players and cause problems.

Like a few more in the squad he performs better in central midfield, the problem is we have too many who prefer to play there resulting in some playing out of position which sometimes makes the team seem unbalanced imo.

I one game recently I counted 5 central midfielders on the pitch at one time.

I think Pearson is better in a side that presses high up the pitch and gets in the face of the opposition using his pace. The thing is we dont do that very often. He must have something as most of our managers have rated him and managers like Martin O'neill have spoke highly of him.

I think Pearson is better in a side that presses high up the pitch and gets in the face of the opposition using his pace. The thing is we dont do that very often. He must have something as most of our managers have rated him and managers like Martin O'neill have spoke highly of him.

Must be something in that. The amount of managers who rate him means they can't all be wrong, yet he has had some shockers for us.

I thought he was doing ok at Sheff U until he came off.

Maybe he needs to be in a team on the front foot not hanging on for dear life!

Awful footballer. Looked alright in his first season but I have never seen anything to suggest that he's got anything other than fitness, my heart sinks whenever I see his playing. I'd imagine he's one of the higher earners?

Agreed, even on saturday, largely considered one of his few good displays in the 3 1/2 years he's been here, he managed to be invisible for 95% of the game.

I had a thought a while ago, he's an 'attacking' midfielder who doesn't take set pieces, yet he's only scored 3 goals in nearly 100 appearances.

Assuming that we would get an average of, say, 8 corners and 5 free kicks that go into oppo's penalty area in a game, that's a rough estimate of around 1,300 set pieces where he would be standing in and around the penalty area and he's never scored one of them (as far as I remember his 3 goals came from open play), you'd think one of them would have hit him on the arse and gone in wouldn't you? Where does he go to during set pieces, has anyone ever noticed him in the box, has he ever headed it or attacked the ball that any of you can remember? If he stands in the same spot for a corner every time, how long do you think it will be before he realises that the ball is not going to land there and he needs to stand somewhere else, 2030?

Just an observation, like.

Agreed, even on saturday, largely considered one of his few good displays in the 3 1/2 years he's been here, he managed to be invisible for 95% of the game.

I had a thought a while ago, he's an 'attacking' midfielder who doesn't take set pieces, yet he's only scored 3 goals in nearly 100 appearances.

Assuming that we would get an average of, say, 8 corners and 5 free kicks that go into oppo's penalty area in a game, that's a rough estimate of around 1,300 set pieces where he would be standing in and around the penalty area and he's never scored one of them (as far as I remember his 3 goals came from open play), you'd think one of them would have hit him on the arse and gone in wouldn't you? Where does he go to during set pieces, has anyone ever noticed him in the box, has he ever headed it or attacked the ball that any of you can remember? If he stands in the same spot for a corner every time, how long do you think it will be before he realises that the ball is not going to land there and he needs to stand somewhere else, 2030?

Just an observation, like.

Weird observation.

You'd be aiming at people like Howard, Addison, Barker, Davies and Ayala.

That's just a few players. Pearson isn't exactly a player that's going to hold people off the ball using his strength, and balls pinging around a box can go anywhere. If you've already got the likes of Addison, Barker, Davies and Ayala hanging around in there, plus opposition defenders, you're not going to be first or second to the ball if you're not known for headers.

Weird observation.

You'd be aiming at people like Howard, Addison, Barker, Davies and Ayala.

That's just a few players. Pearson isn't exactly a player that's going to hold people off the ball using his strength, and balls pinging around a box can go anywhere. If you've already got the likes of Addison, Barker, Davies and Ayala hanging around in there, plus opposition defenders, you're not going to be first or second to the ball if you're not known for headers.

Balls pinging around the box can go anywhere, that's the point, they never end up anywhere near him, I'm not talking about the first header, but when it drops, he's never to be seen, not around the box when it's cleared,or when it's fired back in low, I'd expect Barry Bannan to get on the end of a few, or the odd ricochet when the defence is trying to clear, or a shot from the edge of the area. Even discounting all that, Pearson must be around 6' tall, I'd expect it to hit him on the head once in a while.

Balls pinging around the box can go anywhere, that's the point, they never end up anywhere near him, I'm not talking about the first header, but when it drops, he's never to be seen, not around the box when it's cleared,or when it's fired back in low, I'd expect Barry Bannan to get on the end of a few, or the odd ricochet when the defence is trying to clear, or a shot from the edge of the area. Even discounting all that, Pearson must be around 6' tall, I'd expect it to hit him on the head once in a while.

I know what you mean, it is pretty strange that the odds are its going to bounce off his head at least once in a while. I mean, he was there for that goal at the Wembley game.

But, never in a million years would i place Stephen Pearson as the man that headed a goal from a corner or freekick.

I'm going to look where he is when we have a set piece actually, can't really remember him being in and around there.

However, this wouldn't be one of the reasons i'd pick a fault with him. His touch and lack of an eye for a pass is what puzzles me, but i know he can do it as he proved against Swansea with a couple of good challenges and nice through balls.

Terrible player.

Can't tackle good enough for a cm

Can't pass well enough for any midfield position

Can't head especially well.

Can't cross well enough for a wide player.

Can't shoot or finish at any range.

He played well on sat simply because Swansea needed closing down. All he had to do was run and cover ground.

Worse of all though is his positioning!!!!

When he plays in midfield he ALWAYS let's runners in behind him. So poor at decision making.

Doesn't offer enough. Me dog can run.

Probably the most frustrating player on our books at the moment.

I cant wait till he leaves the club.

I think its the fact he COULD offer so much more, that aggrevates me.

He's not just like a new player who is struggling to settle into a new team. Pearson has been here ages and his good performances i can count on one hand in 3-4 seasons!

He also clearly has a mental problem in terms of scoring, with the fact he scores just one goal every season (infact this season its 0). He manages to miss the tap ins, and always looks to pass when he should be shooting himself.

Oh, and he can't beat anyone when playing out wide.

He's also an experienced pro, not a promising youngster. Get Rid Nige - please !

Archived