Striking Partners

48 hours

Thought that the forum needed a bit of lightening-up, so hear goes ...

There were lots of really good striking partnerships in the 70s - with Radford/Kennedy at Arsenal Clark/Jones at Leeds and perhaps the one that worked best Toshack/Keegan at Liverpool, not to mention O'Hare/Hector!!

With the nearly-loan of Paul Hayes from Preston, it reminded me of how good some strikers are when operating as a partnership. Paul Hayes was impressive playing alongside Gary Hooper, but hasn't maintained that level since the partnership was broken.

It is interesting to note that a few years back Billy Sharp (who played really well at Pride Park a few days back) was Top Goal scorer in League One (I think), and the players in 2nd and 3rd position that season were Nicky Maynard and Luke Varney - who played together as a partnership (at Crewe).

When Rob Hulse was at Crewe - he sometimes played alongside Dean Ashton. Interestingly, it never really worked as a partnership, and Crewe regularly used to play one or the other.

Lets all hope and pray that Ward and Robinson can gel into a decent partnership for the rest of the season.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Paul Goddard and Dean Saunders

Cracking partnership. Paul Goddard was a very underestimated player - he was technically very good - altho' not as good a finisher as Deano.

Combination of technical skills and pace/finishing - bit like O'Hare/Hector.

Thought that the forum needed a bit of lightening-up, so hear goes ...

There were lots of really good striking partnerships in the 70s - with Radford/Kennedy at Arsenal Clark/Jones at Leeds and perhaps the one that worked best Toshack/Keegan at Liverpool, not to mention O'Hare/Hector!!

With the nearly-loan of Paul Hayes from Preston, it reminded me of how good some strikers are when operating as a partnership. Paul Hayes was impressive playing alongside Gary Hooper, but hasn't maintained that level since the partnership was broken.

It is interesting to note that a few years back Billy Sharp (who played really well at Pride Park a few days back) was Top Goal scorer in League One (I think), and the players in 2nd and 3rd position that season were Nicky Maynard and Luke Varney - who played together as a partnership (at Crewe).

When Rob Hulse was at Crewe - he sometimes played alongside Dean Ashton. Interestingly, it never really worked as a partnership, and Crewe regularly used to play one or the other.

Lets all hope and pray that Ward and Robinson can gel into a decent partnership for the rest of the season.

Interesting topic, strange how it often does not work out when they are split up as Dave Mackay found to his cost when buying prolific Charlton scorer Derek Hales thus depriving him of his partner Mike Flanagan.

Archived