Clough says tough times ahead?

Stimacked

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think so, you've just highlighted the salient points ;)

Clough worked a minor miracle in getting us to the playoffs, but that was proven to be unsustainable with his current squad.

We've had three periods of consistency this season, one good and two bad, if we're serious about mounting a sustained challenge, then we can't afford the kind of runs like the one at the beginning of the season or the one over Christmas.

Modest investment - no one's asking to break the bank, but another transfer window of exclusively loan activity isn't going to do the trick I fear.

I'd agree with you, if i knew what that word meant. I think we are only two or maybe three players away from being a proper contnder. That's if Addison and Davies stay fit.

Don't think it's unrealistic at all, if Clough can find another two players like Bailey and Brayford..... which i have no doubt he will.

Clough worked a minor miracle in getting us to the playoffs, but that was proven to be unsustainable with his current squad.

I'm not sure it was a minor miracle. He's done amazingly well to get the best out of the key player in Commons. He did very well signing Bailey, Brayford and Cywka. Other than that I think Metgod needs to take a lot of credit. He was instrumental in Bueno signing and also in the change of system that has seen us play more attractive football.

If you look through out teams it's not that poor, just missing. Few players to be a very good championship team. Cough deserves credit for that, getting the best out of the likes of Commons and picking some good players from lower leagues. Wouldn't say minor miracle though, that's what this league has generally (bar the likes of QPR) turned into. Loans from the Prem and signings from the lower leagues.

I'm surprised a thread's been made of this at all.

I find it laughable that anybody was expecting the 3 following seasons after being the worst team in English football history to be anything other than a struggle.

It's still amazing that we haven't been relegated again.

Why is it amazing. With the squad we got relegated with, our budget and the signings we made, I personally didn't expect to get relegated again. Did you? Infact, the board, the manager and indeed many fans were optimistic of a fruitful season. That season was a nightmare, never to be repeated again, we drew a line under it as we do after every season, good or bad. Please don't tell me we're suffering the hangover still.

Let's get this straight. The board are on plan B but are selling it to you as plan A. Make no mistake, they took us on, as a soon-to-be relegated side with great potential to get promoted first time of asking and sell on for the highest price. This didn't happen. After 2 seasons and no promotion with the end of parachute payments, a contigency plan was created. Cut costs at every level and hope Nigel can do it the hard way. There isn't any money coming and there never has been. They used what the club had, when it had it and it's gone. They don't give a flying **** about the financial stability of the club, they're surprised in all probability that they are still here. They are doing the only thing that they can do. Sitting tight. As long as the investors make a profit and GSE pick up their fees do you really think they care what state the club is left in? I don't.

I'm not sure it was a minor miracle. He's done amazingly well to get the best out of the key player in Commons. He did very well signing Bailey, Brayford and Cywka. Other than that I think Metgod needs to take a lot of credit. He was instrumental in Bueno signing and also in the change of system that has seen us play more attractive football.

If you look through out teams it's not that poor, just missing. Few players to be a very good championship team. Cough deserves credit for that, getting the best out of the likes of Commons and picking some good players from lower leagues. Wouldn't say minor miracle though, that's what this league has generally (bar the likes of QPR) turned into. Loans from the Prem and signings from the lower leagues.

Pretty much the point I was trying to get across - Clough and his team have done their part, and gotten the most out of the squad that they're likely to. To go that extra mile, now, more than ever, he needs the backing of the board. If they don't back him now then there's a strong possibility that they never will.

Why is it amazing. With the squad we got relegated with, our budget and the signings we made, I personally didn't expect to get relegated again. Did you? Infact, the board, the manager and indeed many fans were optimistic of a fruitful season. That season was a nightmare, never to be repeated again, we drew a line under it as we do after every season, good or bad. Please don't tell me we're suffering the hangover still.

Let's get this straight. The board are on plan B but are selling it to you as plan A. Make no mistake, they took us on, as a soon-to-be relegated side with great potential to get promoted first time of asking and sell on for the highest price. This didn't happen. After 2 seasons and no promotion with the end of parachute payments, a contigency plan was created. Cut costs at every level and hope Nigel can do it the hard way. There isn't any money coming and there never has been. They used what the club had, when it had it and it's gone. They don't give a flying **** about the financial stability of the club, they're surprised in all probability that they are still here. They are doing the only thing that they can do. Sitting tight. As long as the investors make a profit and GSE pick up their fees do you really think they care what state the club is left in? I don't.

Good squad? Did you watch the Premier League season?

That squad was a mixture of the worst team the English top flight has ever seen and some mediocre Championship players.

So yes. I was fully expecting another relegation fight. Almost whoever we had playing for us, we weren't going back up. I don't think anybody here quite grasps the psycological damage the Premier League season had. Any relegation is hard to come over, scientific studies had proven that, and to be told you're the worst team in a sport that's 150 years old is pretty demoralising.

When we went down, I thought that we weren't going to be a solid Premier League team for at least another decade. I stand by that. As Clough said, "we're still in survival mode" - if not from the Premier League season, from the previous two seasons where we've been a mid-table club that's convince itself it's been in a relegation fight.

That squad was a mixture of the worst team the English top flight has ever seen and some mediocre Championship players.

So yes. I was fully expecting another relegation fight. Almost whoever we had playing for us, we weren't going back up. I don't think anybody here quite grasps the psycological damage the Premier League season had. Any relegation is hard to come over, scientific studies had proven that, and to be told you're the worst team in a sport that's 150 years old is pretty demoralising.

When we went down, I thought that we weren't going to be a solid Premier League team for at least another decade. I stand by that. As Clough said, "we're still in survival mode" - if not from the Premier League season, from the previous two seasons where we've been a mid-table club that's convince itself it's been in a relegation fight.

Being kind to Eddie Lewis there.

Mediocre to me defines mid-table championship. Sorry to oxford dictionary you but inless you are suggesting the players were sub-standard championship players then I simply don't agree. And I don't think they were. I would have expected mid-table at least. I was careful not to say good squad by the way, I said squad relegated with, one I thought should have been competitive on paper. On paper you think our relegated squad was in the bottom 3 of the championship interms of quality? I'd have said top 12 and I'm honestly not joking. Huge disparity in opinion here clearly. Don't give me hangover here, I want to know your opinion on paper. I certainly wouldn't have swapped our squad for a newly promoted team.

Nothing to do with 'luck' Alex. We didn't offer the right money either transfer fee or wages-wise + and the club is not attractive enough because the game knows we don't have enough funding to mount a serious promotion challenge

I have my reasons for saying what I say do too. What Nigel says in public - as a consumate professional - isn't necessarily the full story.

Your confidence in GSE to come good is in some ways admirable. in others naive in swallowing all the spin.

But look, we've had these debates before. I've got a few more miles on the clock than you so, while youthful exhuberence is a fine thing, experience and common sense says to me that the empirical evidence points to an under-funded football club: Something that seldom ends in anything other than disapointment - which is all I' ve seen from GSE in 3 years.

It was bad luck with both Vaughun and Hooper. Hooper was signed by a club who could offer far more than we could. Vaughun we put a better deal in for and yet they went with Crystal Palace instead. Both of these we couldn't have changed.

I'm sure you do Pete, as do I.

And it is not spin that I believe, I am well aware that some things must be taken at face value with GSE. However, I have my own reasons for believing in them.

Just because I am young it does not mean that I have no commons sense, nor does it mean that my view is somehow worth less than yours Pete. Apart from the striker situation (I would have liked us to be going in for loans and paying if need be when we were without one, we got lucky with Kuqi) , I think they've covered every base well and i've been happy with the level of investment.

It was bad luck with both Vaughun and Hooper. Hooper was signed by a club who could offer far more than we could. Vaughun we put a better deal in for and yet they went with Crystal Palace instead. Both of these we couldn't have changed.

And it is not spin that I believe, I am well aware that some things must be taken at face value with GSE. However, I have my own reasons for believing in them.

Just because I am young it does not mean that I have no commons sense, nor does it mean that my view is somehow worth less than yours Pete. Apart from the striker situation (I would have liked us to be going in for loans and paying if need be when we were without one, we got lucky with Kuqi) , I think they've covered every base well and i've been happy with the level of investment.

I dont think Petes having a go, just saying he has been around a bit longer and seen things like this before as I have, certain posters on here believe at 1st hand what certain owners of a certain club will tell you thats all.

Now you are showing your age Alex:D

I dont think Petes having a go, just saying he has been around a bit longer and seen things like this before as I have, certain posters on here believe at 1st hand what certain owners of a certain club will tell you thats all.

I know, it just appeared so.

I am not that young that I believe everything the owners tell me, I am not blindly placing my faith in them. I make decisons based on what I see and hear, I don't just pick a stance and stick to it.

I wrote a thread before Kuqi came in where I asked GSE to reverse the strategy, as I believed at the time that they weren't doing enough to get a striker in. We got Kuqi in a few days later, but I didn't think they were doing enough to get a striker in.

So don't have total faith in them, but I am mostly pleased with their tenure.

I struggle to see how anyone can be happy with what GSE are doing at our club, not unless you fancy being miserable for several years to come.

It seems some people will put fingers in their ears and go la la la when negative comments come out about them and when your manager comes out says the next few months are going to be tough and we'll be in survival mode, how can anyone think 'yeah, the board are doing a good job' I genuinely believe any other manager and we'd be struggling in league one.

I struggle to see how anyone can be happy with what GSE are doing at our club, not unless you fancy being miserable for several years to come.

It seems some people will put fingers in their ears and go la la la when negative comments come out about them and when your manager comes out says the next few months are going to be tough and we'll be in survival mode, how can anyone think 'yeah, the board are doing a good job' I genuinely believe any other manager and we'd be struggling in league one.

Either that or they've got a different opinion to you :rolleyes:

Of course the manager says it's tough, ever manager is saying that. It's always tough, whoever the club.

I'm split between both pro and anti arguments. If they didn't do what they did, we'd of ended up with Portsmouth style debts.

Ambitious says 7 years of depressing times, it could have been so much worse had they not been stable with the finances.

I don't pretend to understand anything to do with finances to be honest, but can see why they've done it. But would like a bit of an investment.

With the debt down to the mortgage, it's not a risk anymore. They should support the manager and invest accordingly, however, i don't think Clough just wants to throw money away on strikers (or any other player position) if they aren't up to the fight.

That's what everyone wants at the end of the day, including the board. Players who want to play here and achieve with us. Possibly why they won't resign Commons, his ambitions lie elsewhere, not with DCFC. He's a fine luxury to have though.

In other worlds, Ben Davies yet again involved with a Notts County goal.

So, i think i'm actually pro board but am prone to a bit of frustration. I think we should support (here i go again) DCFC and everyone involved in the club. It will happen, just takes time doing it right instead of throwing money at it, getting a player with potential/history that fails miserably. It so often happens in football these days.

Ambitious I would love to comment, but been told to lay-off the Yank posts for a bit:rolleyes:

I'm split between both pro and anti arguments. If they didn't do what they did, we'd of ended up with Portsmouth style debts.

Ambitious says 7 years of depressing times, it could have been so much worse had they not been stable with the finances.

I don't pretend to understand anything to do with finances to be honest, but can see why they've done it. But would like a bit of an investment.

With the debt down to the mortgage, it's not a risk anymore. They should support the manager and invest accordingly, however, i don't think Clough just wants to throw money away on strikers (or any other player position) if they aren't up to the fight.

That's what everyone wants at the end of the day, including the board. Players who want to play here and achieve with us. Possibly why they won't resign Commons, his ambitions lie elsewhere, not with DCFC. He's a fine luxury to have though.

So, i think i'm actually pro board but am prone to a bit of frustration. I think we should support (here i go again) DCFC and everyone involved in the club. It will happen, just takes time doing it right instead of throwing money at it, getting a player with potential/history that fails miserably. It so often happens in football these days.

Sorry been told to keep off the Yank posts but just cant help myself.

Why did they do this to the club Black&white? because it keeps them in a job as they are not our owners we have multi owners from all over the world apparently and they say what happens. GSE are just running the club and getting apid well for it.

I understand everyone when they say we might have been a Portsmouth Crystal Palace and so on....but enough is enough with the tightening of the purse strings Cloughs shown what he is capable of doing FGS Time now for investment in a couple of good old pros to get us into the play-offs.

For crying out loud mate, it was the LOG that stablised the finances. Everything was manageable. The only reason GSE have had to sell off players and slash the wage bill is because a). They had a misguided policy of inflating it when they first came rather than paying out transfer fees and b). their supposed £50million takeover was somewhere between £20million to £30million light!

I think people confuse GSE's excuses for not investing in the team and their spin on financial matters for hard facts. If you've never seen it before, read what the head of the outgoing board had to say about it, then ask yourself how different life would be as a Derby fan if they'd actually delivered:-

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/news/Gadsby-says-money-let-buy-Rams/article-240136-detail/article.html

Sorry been told to keep off the Yank posts but just cant help myself.

Why did they do this to the club Black&white? because it keeps them in a job as they are not our owners we have multi owners from all over the world apparently and they say what happens. GSE are just running the club and getting apid well for it.

I understand everyone when they say we might have been a Portsmouth Crystal Palace and so on....but enough is enough with the tightening of the purse strings Cloughs shown what he is capable of doing FGS Time now for investment in a couple of good old pros to get us into the play-offs.

I completely agree mate.

In my opinion, i don't think they do much in regards to ownership. I think Clough might just have that responsibility himself, and he is being very wise.

We've tried to locate a player to sign ourselves right here on the boards. We struggle to find anyone, and Ben Davies is a regular (Clough).

I think the money is there, but it won't be wasted. It can only be made a larger sum when we aren't spending on a 'might be'. Clough want's 'will do' and nothing else is good enough to spend money on.

Archived