Clough says tough times ahead?

Stimacked

In the DET article today about Clough's 2 year management anniversery,

he makes a comment that we could be in for a tough 3-4 months aheadand talks about the club still being in survival mode.

Is he just being overly cautious, or is he suggesting we are going to end up having to do without a couple more key players, through outgoing sales

and thereby playing with a further weakened squad.

Sounds like he feels pretty secure in his position either way, which must be a good thing at least. Very important 3 weeks coming up in the transfer market. Even if we only end up adding a couple of loans,

we need to keep Commons and replace anyone else who is sold.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In the DET article today about Clough's 2 year management anniversery,

he makes a comment that we could be in for a tough 3-4 months aheadand talks about the club still being in survival mode.

Is he just being overly cautious, or is he suggesting we are going to end up having to do without a couple more key players, through outgoing sales

and thereby playing with a further weakened squad.

Sounds like he feels pretty secure in his position either way, which must be a good thing at least. Very important 3 weeks coming up in the transfer market. Even if we only end up adding a couple of loans,

we need to keep Commons and replace anyone else who is sold.

When asked by Gibbo about his 2 years in charge, he said he hopes to be standing there in two years time having had a bit better a time of it. He said it without batting an eyelid.....

I hope he's here for another 2 at least.

Was thinking the other day, that the Clough management team have done themselves no harm in hanging on to their jobs at Derby over the last 2 years. Given the lack of funds Clough has had he has done a great job so far overall. He is not afraid to start the team over again from scratch if need be.

The worrying thing is will the fans put up with this? Also why should we any more?

In my opinion there is nowt we can do to keep Commons no matter what. He did the same to Stoke and Forest and now us. Some fans will use this as a stick to beat the club with no matter what.

We are in the poo and getting deeper rapidly. I fear we are going to end up losing Clough before we actually find out what he is capable of.

I know I sound a little contradictory but if they know we are losing Commons then every effort should be made by our owners to fix it. The lack of action over Hulse was bad enough this will be a disaster. We started this season looking like a half decent team we look very poor at the moment and although history will tell us that we drew 0 - 0 with Millwall, all of us who went knows it should have been much much worse.

I think that next season is crucial, because next season if we are in a similar position to me that isn't acceptable because he would have had 3 years and done nothing. So far I am on the fence with the man and his abilities.

I think that if we finish top 6, but don't get promoted this season, next season is a dead cert for the Prem. ;)

next year will be tougher as the teams going down from the prem will be stronger and we will be without commons and bueno

Very true. It's only gonna get tougher.

Promotion this season would serve us very nicely. More likely to keep Bueno and Commons, and the Premier League will be a lot weaker and more open.

well then clough has to replace them, that is his job to find affordable players to replace outgoing ones. If not show him the door. In my opinion clough needs to grow some if he can't do his job properly and say it in damn public or resign.

I'd accept your point, but you've only made 81 posts, so you're clearly unreliable.

The worrying thing is will the fans put up with this? Also why should we any more?

In my opinion there is nowt we can do to keep Commons no matter what. He did the same to Stoke and Forest and now us.

I thought that mate but florist brought him for 300k! was pointed out to me and the popular ppl laughed at me :frown:

Think he will go and I think the board will give Nige some money in the summer if not think i will be a little closer to the wrist slashers than the happy clappers!!

I thought that mate but florist brought him for 300k! was pointed out to me and the popular ppl laughed at me :frown:

Think he will go and I think the board will give Nige some money in the summer if not think i will be a little closer to the wrist slashers than the happy clappers!!

True but the deal came about because he refused to sign a new contract, the fee was for compensation due to his age and not because he was under contract.

http://www.ltlf.co.uk/players/commons_kris.htm

The official Nottingham Forest website claimed that Kris Commons' signing was an 'EXCLUSIVE', but in truth his imminent arrival had been common knowledge for weeks. To Stoke City fans, it was the equivalent of Gareth William's free transfer to Leicester City and they viewed it with the same dismay. Commons, who turns 21 this August, was regarded as one of the most exciting players in the Potteries, but Forest were able to make the most of his refusal to sign a new contract there.

Left-winger Commons joined on a three-year contact and his transfer fee will be decided by tribunal. In fact, Mansfield-born Commons was returning to the club after being on the books of the Forest Academy as a youngster. He left over a decade ago, having spells at Notts County and Chesterfield before signing for Stoke in 2000.

He broke into the first team during the 2002/03 season and was a regular for Stoke last year. He faces an even bigger task getting into the team at Forest, with the Reds' own young sensation Andy Reid still occupying the left-wing position.

On signing he said: "I was a regular in the Stoke side last season, but I know I can't just expect to walk straight into the Forest team. It's up to me to work hard for a chance and when that comes along, I'll look to make the most of it.

"This is a fantastic opportunity for me. It really does feel like I've come home. I used to watch Forest as a kid and was on the club's books for a while. I decided to leave because there were one or two things I didn't think were right for me at the time. But that was then. A lot has changed since then and I'm delighted to be back. I've always regarded Forest as my club and I really couldn't be happier at joining them."

Unofficial Stoke City website The Oatcake commented on his departure: "Losing Commons is going to be a big blow the fans and may also throw something of a spanner into [manager] Tony Pulis's plans for the new season. It wasn't totally unexpected though and most of us could see it coming. Despite all of his protestations of loyalty and commitment, Commons always had the look of someone who had his eye on a move and that is perhaps why Pulis was not so keen to have him in the team."

Looks like Commons has never shown any loyalty to any club he has played for.

Archived