Clough says tough times ahead?

Stimacked

Looks like Commons has never shown any loyalty to any club he has played for.

Exactly, he is supposedly a Forest fan and he soon jumped ship to come to their biggest rivals. Why would anyone expect him to show anymore loyalty to us. And to be fair and possibly unpopular if the chance a playing for Rangers or Celtic in Europe comes along would any sensible person really expect him to stay in the championship. I fear there is more to this than simply wages no matter what the board haters would have us believe.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have noticed that the ovations he was getting at PP for corners etc.. are a bit muted at the moment.

I must admit I used to clap him etc.. when he came over to the NE corner - now I just can't be arsed because it has no effect on him.

Mind you he looked like he couldnt be arsed: to tackle, challenge a fifty fifty ball or pass to a teammate on Saturday (when he should have passed to Porter in the second half instead of taking a weak shot with his right foot)

On the other hand he looked like he could be arsed : to nearly make a tackle or challeng (see he is still working hard by getting close enough but not risking injury by tackling or gooing for fifty fifty). He was also keen to try and get the glory for himself - i.e not passing to Porter and having a go at Bueno for daring to take a free kick he wanted.

He played like someone trying to get a move rather than someone even remotely committed to his current club

would you stay at derby county if you were him?

to be honest, yes I would. He's settled in the area, being offered a very good wage (apparently), is playing the best football of his career and seems to be enjoying it. With Clough at the helm I would also be willing to wager that if Commons does sign a new three year deal that we would be in the premier league by the end of it

would you stay at derby county if you were him?

Good Question. This contract is - maybe - his last chance to play in the PL. So if that is what he wants in the next couple of years, DCFC is properly not the place reach that.

If he is going for the highest wage, even some clubs in CC and Celtic can give him that.

Actually it can be a little hard to name a reason for him to stay.

Dont Think Mr. Clough is his favourite either.

We have to se what the future brings... !

I would get out if i was him and had a decent offer on the cards, this is a club that isn't showing ambition and is in a transition phase. He says he hasn't been offered a new deal yet but him and nige are keen to get a deal done.

He is 27 and can't wait 5 years to get int he prem as by then he probably wouldn't be a first team player, he could sign for a wigan or wolves on more money and probably get a start. This is the poorest championship in years and when teams come down next year they will have good players and probably all go back up or two of them as this year the premiership is very competitive.

I would get out if i was him and had a decent offer on the cards, this is a club that isn't showing ambition and is in a transition phase. He says he hasn't been offered a new deal yet but him and nige are keen to get a deal done.

He is 27 and can't wait 5 years to get int he prem as by then he probably wouldn't be a first team player, he could sign for a wigan or wolves on more money and probably get a start. This is the poorest championship in years and when teams come down next year they will have good players and probably all go back up or two of them as this year the premiership is very competitive.

If West Ham and Wigan come down, they will be severely weakened as a team because of finance issues. Wigan rely entirely on Premier League money. They can't use gate sales as they are the poorest supported team up there. West Ham have a huge debt. Wolves might go back up, they play within a budget.

Liverpool are Liverpool.

Where does he say this? All the noise I hear is that he has been offered numerous deals.

to be honest, yes I would. He's settled in the area, being offered a very good wage (apparently), is playing the best football of his career and seems to be enjoying it. With Clough at the helm I would also be willing to wager that if Commons does sign a new three year deal that we would be in the premier league by the end of it

God I hope your right but for some reason can see him being a Jester player start of next season. Not too far away lots of money and a better chance to get into the PL sooner!

We discussed his comments when he said this a month ago. Where does it say he has been offered numerous deals?

http://www.therams.co.uk/news/COMMONS-MEET-ADVISERS-CONTRACT-WAITING-GAME/article-3060221-detail/article.html

This was a couple of days a go but interviews with Clough etc on radio before Christmas stated he had been offered at least one before. I do not keep any transcripts of those interviews and since you did not make it clear that your quote was over a month old I thought I had better bring it to your attention.

Athough not perfectly clear this article does suggest it is not the first offer on the table. ;)

We discussed his comments when he said this a month ago. Where does it say he has been offered numerous deals?

It says in one of the recent articles that he has been offered another deal and he is talking to advisors about it.

If I was him, I'd wait to see what other offers are on the table.

If a club doesn't have to pay a transfer fee, then I think that free's up more cash to spend on wages.

If I was playing for Derby right now (and I wasn't a Derby fan) I'd personally be looking at the players we have, the players Clough thinks are good and plays and whether I think we will go up in the next two years - therefore, I'd be looking elsewhere. Leicester could be the place to be soon.

Wigan rely entirely on Premier League money. They can't use gate sales as they are the poorest supported team up there.

Dave Whelan- Owner with ambition.

This league is so poor, any team which throws abit of money about with a modicum of sense seems to be up there, Forest, QPR and Cardiff are prime examples. If our billionaire investors just threw in a few million we could leapfrog this "slow progress" baloney which is by no means guaranteed to work. I'd hasten to add that if we lose Commons then he is that pivotal in my mind, Clough's 2 year tenure (through no fault of his own) will see the squad quality go backwards.

I don't buy into this solid, steady improvement analogy year-on-year either, to me there is so little difference between a 7th place team and 21st in this league, namely a signing or 2, you can't deem it progress or decline whether we finish 8th or 17th for argument's sake. 1 decent acquisition or a comparative loss could make-or-break 3 years of hard work is effectively what I'm alluding to. Anybody calling 12th this season "progress" and anybody calling 16th "decline" for instance in my opinion is talking nonsense, isn't it fair to say, either way, give or take we're about the same position we were 12 months ago? An improvement is playoffs to me, backwards is relegation and maintaining the status quo is somewhere inbetween. I'd be interested to see if anybody agrees?

In my mind we are treading water, we could go up a couple of places every year for the next 3 and it would mean nothing going into the following season, there would in my eyes be no foundation to do the same again. This is football people.

Dave Whelan- Owner with ambition.

This league is so poor, any team which throws abit of money about with a modicum of sense seems to be up there, Forest, QPR and Cardiff are prime examples. If our billionaire investors just threw in a few million we could leapfrog this "slow progress" baloney which is by no means guaranteed to work. I'd hasten to add that if we lose Commons then he is that pivotal in my mind, Clough's 2 year tenure (through no fault of his own) will see the squad quality go backwards.

I don't buy into this solid, steady improvement analogy year-on-year either, to me there is so little difference between a 7th place team and 21st in this league, namely a signing or 2, you can't deem it progress or decline whether we finish 8th or 17th for argument's sake. 1 decent acquisition or a comparative loss could make-or-break 3 years of hard work is effectively what I'm alluding to. Anybody calling 12th this season "progress" and anybody calling 16th "decline" for instance in my opinion is talking nonsense, isn't it fair to say, either way, give or take we're about the same position we were 12 months ago? An improvement is playoffs to me, backwards is relegation and maintaining the status quo is somewhere inbetween. I'd be interested to see if anybody agrees?

In my mind we are treading water, we could go up a couple of places every year for the next 3 and it would mean nothing going into the following season, there would in my eyes be no foundation to do the same again. This is football people.

Damn right,couldnt have put it better myself.

The longer process works, IF you build the side and get them playing together. A squad core that plays together for a while will gel better, and Clough wants to build a young side with a few experienced players that will slowly improve.

At some point, promotion will come. This season we want a top half finish, Nigel said this himself. Anything better is a bonus. When was the last time we finished in the top half? That IS improvement. It is undeniable.

Next season I think, if we manage the top half this season, will be a real play offs push. We MUST have a striker in by then, if not I will be questioning GSE's priorities alot more.

But improvement and building a squad works, splashing money around can go badly if you do not get promoted. Forest will not be, and they're incredibly lucky that they have Doughty. QPR are also lucky. We do not have those funds.

SillyBilly - That is a cracking post and I entirely agree. Its one of the most sensible posts I've seen on here for a while.

My own caveats to it are that if you do throw money at it, you're more risk averse to do it with someone who has been there and done it - Look at those teams you mention and its no co-incidence, everyone one of those clubs managers has a promotion to the Premiership on his CV.

I think a lot of people will agree with your post but not know they are agreeing with it. By this I mean anyone who states the lack of ambition the club/owners show and gets frustrated by it, it is because to the fan, they don't care if they finish 7-21st (although competing for a play-off place in the last few games of the season is slightly different). This is entirely where I sit.

Very few clubs go up without investing a bit of money or retaining the nucleus of a team that came down. Blackpool are an exception to the rule but had a cracking manager. I think the other breed of supporter is that who believes Clough fits into this category. My view is Clough doesn't, and my reasoning is that I am disturbed by his tactics of playing players in the wrong position, and that I think he overrates players. (Doyle, Pearson, Roberts, Moore to name a few).

Still - cracking post SillyBilly.

Archived