Joey Barton

Thornhill

Anybody see this idiot thump Pedersen yesterday? He's a disgrace and needs to be kicked out of football for good.

-------------

Joey Barton could face action from the Football Association after allegedly punching Morten Gamst Pedersen during Newcastle's home defeat by Blackburn.

Referee Michael Jones did not punish Barton, 28, as he did not see the incident, which was captured on TV.

Newcastle boss Chris Hughton said he missed the incident, in which Barton made contact with Pedersen's chest.

Norway international winger Pedersen said: "You've seen the pictures, it's up to the FA to act, not me."

Newcastle midfielder Barton thrust his hand into Pedersen's chest during a break in play in the second half, after which the Norwegian fell to the ground.

World football's governing body Fifa allows national associations to use video evidence for retrospective punishment, meaning the FA is free to investigate the incident.

Jones will be shown a video of the incident and asked what action he would have taken had he seen it during the game. If he decides he would have sent off Barton for violent conduct, the player will face an automatic three match ban.

606: DEBATE

Did Blackburn merit their victory?

Blackburn boss Sam Allardyce refused to talk about the matter because he did not want it to "detract from our victory".

"Whoever will see it will see it and do whatever needs to be done," he added.

BBC Sport football pundit Lee Dixon said on Wednesday's Match of the Day: "Barton is a very lucky boy. There is a clash of shoulders beforehand but that is the reaction of an angry man.

"It is really out of order. He said it was a slap. But if that is a slap, I'd hate to see what a punch was."

Pedersen had given Blackburn the lead after only three minutes at St James' Park, and although Andy Caroll levelled for the hosts, Jason Roberts hit an 82nd-minute winner as Rovers ended Newcastle's run of three consecutive league wins.

"We had to stop a very aggressive frontline, taking into account the form they've been in," said Allardyce, a former Newcastle manager.

"We wanted to shape up differently. They didn't think we'd go with a back three, and the way we started took them by surprise.

"We caught Newcastle a little cold. They expected us to sit off."

Roberts's winner was his second goal in as many games, as the striker put forward a good case for a new contract at Ewood Park.

"Jason can always determine his own future - he's in control of it," added Allardyce.

"If he keeps playing like he has been and if he earns a contract here as a result then great. If it's somewhere else then that's great for him too."

Click to play

Click to play

Hughton sees positives in defeat

Allardyce also said he was delighted to have come back to St James' Park and won, having been sacked by Magpies owner Mike Ashley in 2008 after seven months in charge.

"For me it's coming back to where you've been and showing them you're good at what you do. I've come back here and got a fabulous win," he said.

Despite the defeat Newcastle boss Hughton praised his side's recent efforts, which mean they are still fifth in the Premier League table, but blamed two mistakes for costing them dear on Wednesday night.

"I can't be too hard on this group of lads - it's the end of a very good run for us," said Hughton.

"The fact Blackburn played five at the back did surprise me. They defended very, very well.

"They didn't have many opportunities in the second half but we added to our own downfall."

Carroll's goal was his seventh in the Premier League this season and he is tipped to win his first England cap against France next week.

"Andy has been terrific all season. He can't have done anything more than he has done," added Hughton.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/9178056.stm

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ban him for life, he's had soo may chances just get rid, at wolves he did get kicked for 90 minutes and di a good job as he has done this eason, but you can never punch somone on the field, like when warren barton hoisted that preston player up by his neck because he wouldn't give him the ball.

well it looked pretty hard tbh, in the ribs it hurts as well. It is the very action though it doesn't matter if it didn't hurt, the very fact he punched somone on a football field is not acceptable.
Would it be OK then if he waited and slapped him in the tunnel:)

Blackburn winger Morten Gamst Pedersen has offered to take Newcastle midfielder Joey Barton out to dinner to show that their confrontation during Rovers' 2-1 win on Wednesday is behind them.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Morten-Gamst-Pedersen-has-offered-Joey-Barton-dinner-after-the-Newcastle-midfielder-punched-him-in-the-stomach-article626583.html

Well. That's an unexpected response from a professional footballer.

ban him for life, he's had soo may chances just get rid, at wolves he did get kicked for 90 minutes and di a good job as he has done this eason, but you can never punch somone on the field, like when warren barton hoisted that preston player up by his neck because he wouldn't give him the ball.

Yeah, ban him for life, kick him out of football for being a thug...just like we did when Eric Cantona jumped into the crowd with akung fu kick, aiming to kill the fan or when Zidane headbutted an opponent in the final (although he had quit after so technically couldn't have got banned) or when Shearer stamped on Lennon, or when Keane tried to murder Alfe Inge Haaland or when any other high profile player does anything like that...my point is, take away the name on his shirt before you jump all over him, I am 100% sure if it had been Lampard or Fabregas or Gerrarrd that had done it there would have been none of this "ban him for life" rubbish.

Archived