The Annual Halloween/Bonfire Night Reminder

Day

39 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Incoming true story...

The setting:  The NEC (If memory serves?) for an all-encompassing forces charities shin-dig/Open Day/"We are here to help" type affair.

In the company of my missus and son.  The latter on his way to departing the armed forces on medical grounds, due to "invisible injuries received in combat".
Also in attendance were numerous folk offering all kinds of help, to all types of military service sufferers.
Uniforms of all styles, colours, and notably many festooned with medals galore.
Most evident, were the countless personnel who needed physical aid to get around, and equally, the mind-numbing number of obvious scars, visible wounds, and the sheer haunting number of missing limbs.

Looking down at the piles of tabled leaflets, and scanning the surrounding stalls from countless charities, offering endless advice, goodwill, and well-meaning comfort, said missus announced without whisper... "It's a minefield, innit". 
Said father and son just stared at each other, and burst into fits of giggles. 
Thankfully, so did the dozen or so wounded soldiers who initially and momentarily cringed at hearing such a statement, in such surroundings. 

Phew!  For a minute there, I thought my missus had embarrassed herself!  🤣

Wondered where you was going with all this 😂

On 18/10/2024 at 12:04, Day said:

Don’t dress your kids up and send them knocking on strangers doors for sweets. Take them round family and friends houses that agree to this nonsense. Or better still, buy them sweets yourself.

Also don’t be that family that set off fireworks, plenty of public displays which are far better than anything you can do in your back garden. They are a colossal waste of money, far better ways to spend it like a subscription at DCFC Fans, did you know that for just £3 you would not see any adverts on the forum for an entire month and still support this forum?

Couldn’t even afford a Catherine wheel for that.

Public displays also limit the “festivities” to the correct days, not a month solid of living like we’re in Beirut.

The elderly, PTSD soldiers, dogs, cats, horses, wildlife, all hate this time of year because of this anti social behaviour. Don’t be that person. Be a human, think of others.

I’ll be back the same time next year. 

Well, my dogs like to watch the fireworks out of the window. So I guess you can’t stereotype everything the same.

Sounds to me like you don’t care about animals or the elderly or people with PTSD who live near official displays as long as it isn’t near you?

NIMBY.

3 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Well, my dogs like to watch the fireworks out of the window. So I guess you can’t stereotype everything the same.

Sounds to me like you don’t care about animals or the elderly or people with PTSD who live near official displays as long as it isn’t near you?

NIMBY.

We have an official one at the rugby club behind that hotel you stayed at. So stick that up your steam train.

Maybe it should be illegal to set off fireworks on any day other than those agreed by statute? November 5th, Diwali, Eid, NYE that kind of thing.

We've definitely had Fireworks Night creep over the years. Growing-up in the 60s, it would be restricted to Nov 5th and 6th, and most people had small home firework displays or went to a public event, so the effect on pets and other sensitive groups was contained.

I used to live on the Thames, so regular firework displays were something I got used to, and some were memorable, but the ones that were annoying were the impromptu ones that happened just because some c*** had got hold of some fireworks. 

As I've never bought fireworks since I was a kid, and have seen enough of them to last a lifetime, I'd fully support further legislation that restricted their use to specific days. Think of the money saved!