Everybody out

Mick Brolly

On 17/09/2024 at 17:29, Day said:

You're right, would not dispute that. 

However most jobs wouldn't involve running for say 7 miles whilst getting booted about, not blowing out your ACL with 9 months of rehab, missing your children's birthdays, first day at school, Christmas.

You can get pissed at the weekend, even if it's a 2 litre bottle of white lightning at home without being weighed in on Monday morning.

You're not getting abuse thrown at you from thousands of "customers" each week, nor do many not have to travel up and down the country, into Europe and spend their summers in tournaments.

These are young men, in their 20's and early 30's, living completely different lives that their mates. They can't walk freely round city centres or just go to the cinema without mass intrusion. I'm talking the likes of Beckham, Rooney in their primes. It's a sheltered life in many respects.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not out here with the violin out, plenty of worse jobs to be in, packing fish in a frozen factory for 12 hours a day on minimum wage. Whilst footballers will not experience the financial struggles of the average workers, I'm not sure we truly appreciate the strains on their body and minds. 

I've always been fairly unsympathetic to players.

But, putting aside the money argument (they are clearly massively overpaid) I've been convinced by players who have simply said 'Yes we CAN play that many games but do we play as well as if we played fewer games, no'.

As long as they are willing to take a decent pay cut then I'd agree playing 2 or 3 games a week as well as training, preparing... doesn't get the best performance out of them week in week out.

Just now, Chester40 said:

But, putting aside the money argument (they are clearly massively overpaid) I've been convinced by players who have simply said 'Yes we CAN play that many games but do we play as well as if we played fewer games, no'.

As long as they are willing to take a decent pay cut then I'd agree playing 2 or 3 games a week as well as training, preparing... doesn't get the best performance out of them week in week out.

Sky Sports ran some interviews with Kompany and Ancelotti yesterday on this, only caught the end, apparently they believed players would take a pay cut to play fewer games.

If FIFA, UEFA and domestic governing bodies don’t seriously investigate the possibility of this, an opportunity to reduce the crazy money in the game. They are, and I don’t say this lightly, they are imbeciles.

9 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

The closest we’ve ever got to a player strike was when Cloughie resigned. Roy Mac and Stuart Webb were very interesting on the probable consequences last night on Radio Derby but, of course, that was the 1970s and things were different then.

Thought @RoyMac5 had been quiet recently, moonlighting on Radio Derby eh? 😜

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

I get why some would suggest that players today are "massively overpaid" I'm not in that bracket, It's a free market where footballs riches know no bounds...so fare play to em.

I remember a tale some years ago where the Leeds Chairman(Ridsdale I think)interviewed Seth Johnson, When it got to money Ridsdale offered around £30k a week, Johnson looks at his agent, Agent looks at Johnson and ask to leave the room for a chat, Ridsdale thinks...and when they came back in he upped his offer...£10k I was told 🤷‍♂️

Now don't forget when Bates took over he stopped Johnson from playing his 50th game as that would have been a pay day for DCFC, Money money money as ABBA sung 😁

Who's to blame, Sky, Chairmen, The Fans?

Nope you sign the contract you takes your chance...no sympathy here ☺️

1 hour ago, Day said:

Sky Sports ran some interviews with Kompany and Ancelotti yesterday on this, only caught the end, apparently they believed players would take a pay cut to play fewer games

The ridiculous amount they get paid taking a pay cut wouldn’t affect them at all