Jerry Yates - signed on a season-long loan

8 hours ago, S8TY said:

Don't know loads about Yates coming in on loan but if he's a good championship striker why don't Swansea want to use him ? 

Was signed by a different manager, who they then sacked. Played regularly first half of the season, not so much the second half. Still finished joint top scorer.

22 hours ago, S8TY said:

Don't know loads about Yates coming in on loan but if he's a good championship striker why don't Swansea want to use him ? 

He played in 43 of 46 league games last season, 46 games overall and ended the season as their top goalscorer. 

Obviously there is context to that, but it seems by all accounts he didn't fit the way they play and he didn't have a good rapport with the fans and didn't settle in the area. 

I'm still waiting for anyone to name a more proven Championship player (than Yates) on our likely budget. I honestly thought a player like Yates would be beyond our reach and we would need to take more of a risk on a young player on-loan or from lower league. 

I'm not sure how realistic, but the ones that seem to stand out for me: 

Karlan Grant, Michael Obafemi, Lucas Joao, Kieffer Moore, Oli McBurnie, Lyndon Dykes.. 

These are players that have a recently decent track record at this level. Kieffer Moore would be great, but people would probably still hammer Warne for signing a former player. 

I think most of these are starting for £20-30k a week too. A few of these are coming off poor seasons too. 

22 hours ago, Ramplinho said:

Solid workhorse type player, just like Osborn and Jackson. At least we won't lack endeavor. 

Get a midfield playmaker and a goal machine in to compliment them and we'll do okay. 

Agreed. They all feel like very solid signings so far - better than I expected. Feels a bit like a time in the TBE era - get some solid players in and add a bit of flair. I suspect we won't get quite as much flair like...