Wage budget

1. I was going to put this in finance, but its nowhere near that level of discussion and is specific to wages so I gave it its own thread.

2. Its only a bit of speculation/fun, and although the numbers are based on realistic sounding internet figures I haven't meticulously studied each clubs accounts/chatted with the owners, so the contrarian(s) who like to frequently tear posts apart need not bother.

I've been looking at what clubs reportedly spend on wages compared to their attendances, and if these tell us anything about our likely wage bill increase for next season.

Same stats used for those clubs put us at around £160k per week once departing players are removed (Sibley and Collins still included), meaning we can expect to spend another £120-220k per week on wages. That seems massive.

image.thumb.png.9c91679f15412e39310b962a5785f8c2.png

26 minutes ago, Rample said:

1. I was going to put this in finance, but its nowhere near that level of discussion and is specific to wages so I gave it its own thread.

2. Its only a bit of speculation/fun, and although the numbers are based on realistic sounding internet figures I haven't meticulously studied each clubs accounts/chatted with the owners, so the contrarian(s) who like to frequently tear posts apart need not bother.

I've been looking at what clubs reportedly spend on wages compared to their attendances, and if these tell us anything about our likely wage bill increase for next season.

Same stats used for those clubs put us at around £160k per week once departing players are removed (Sibley and Collins still included), meaning we can expect to spend another £120-220k per week on wages. That seems massive.

Not much of a statistician but wouldn't such a variation in figures show that there's not really any correlation between fan numbers and wage budgets?

2 hours ago, Rample said:

What's your source for the wage bills?

Your 8th highest equates to just £19m, whereas club accounts will only have around 3 clubs at or below that figure.

I'll be extremely surprised if our total wage bill in 24/25 is not in the £22-28m range (half the division will be in that range). £25m is a reasonable estimate, with roughly £20m of that being first team player wages.

Have the details of wages for the season just finished been released? I thought the most recent accounts are for the 2022/23 season.

Is the wage budget per fan based on how much each club spends for everyone £1 spent by a supporter? In which case I'm sure that more clubs are spending more than they are bringing in. Even National League teams are and the Championship is becoming just as crazy as the premier league when it comes to spending.

I think it's hard to put a figure on our budget exactly. I feel like its fair to say we are much bigger than a number of teams in the championship in terms of fanbase, infrastructure and the club in general, but they are a number of teams who will just spend ridiculous money that Clowes (rightly) won't be willing to do.

I have seen it somewhere that Bamford is on £70k a week , and I bet a few others at Leeds . What would our limit be for a top Tier 2 striker ? £35k a week like Beilik ? Don’t forget Mid table budget = Mid table finish . ( as everyone keeps saying ).

On 02/06/2024 at 12:19, Rample said:

I don’t know where you got these numbers from , but if I take the Millwall figures which are in the public domain their wages and salaries were for 22/23  £22.6million on a turnover of £19.4million i.e wages to revenue of 117% so I do not see where the figures quoted above are sourced fromand their total expenditure was £30.3 million giving a loss of £12.2 million which included player sales of £2.5 million, Millwall finished 8th in 22/23 Given that the Rams will have revenue of a maximum £30 million I cannot see DC putting £10million of his own cash to cover any debt and pay wages/salaries of £420,000 a week to match a mid table team like Millwall, don’t forget the business plan is to break even.

I bet my bottom dollar there is a figure DC has on the table that will marry with turnover. What that is I don’t know but I’d bet my second bottom dollar that it won’t be 117% of turnover.

Its a wage heavy industry - everyone knows that but if we are turning over 30 million I would be surprised if wages are more than 20 million 

40 players at 10k a week = 20 million

There will be a fair few single figure thousands and some edging at 15k but I seriously doubt basic salaries offered will be more than this if we are to be sustainable/ break even. Those legacy contracts that clubs have from pre Covid will be pretty much run out. Parachute clubs apart, the championship world has to/is changing. 

Maybe I am naive but even if this is inaccurate, it’s coming for all those clubs without an indulgent sugar daddy or gambler as an owner. We are one of them.