Mad? Bad? Maduro

Crewton

Well, who had Venezuela down as the next wannabe imperialists? It seems El Presidente Maduro wants to annexe about 2/3 of Guyana, an area which conveniently also encapsulates large oil and mineral reserves. Guyana are appealing to the UN and the US for assistance.

Bizarre.

Well the ICJ ruled against their claims if that counts for anything anymore. Probably not

This comes back to the British Empire too doesn't it? It's a tough gig Imperialism. I don't know why everyone fancies a shot at it. 

Thought Venezuela was under strict sanctions already? What they going to do when America hits them with more? Flirt with China, Russia, Iran?

I think it comes back to the Dutch and Spanish too (throw in the French too for invading the Netherlands) and now it's all about a beleaguered leader looking for a diversion from domestic troubles at the expense of a weaker neighbour.

The US spent 25 years trying to undermine Chavez, for his sins of wanting to reduce inequality and share Venezuela's oil-riches amongst his people, not just the oil barons. It's also strongly rumoured that they had a hand in his mysterious sudden onset of aggressive cancer.

The last thing the US wants is a strong South American nation showing what can be done if you govern for the many and not the few

Maduro has been dealt a losing hand from the start - this Guyana stuff feels like a last ditch move of desperation, and it's never going to work. It's the Venezuelan people you have to feel sorry for 😔

23 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

The US spent 25 years trying to undermine Chavez, for his sins of wanting to reduce inequality and share Venezuela's oil-riches amongst his people, not just the oil barons. It's also strongly rumoured that they had a hand in his mysterious sudden onset of aggressive cancer.

The last thing the US wants is a strong South American nation showing what can be done if you govern for the many and not the few

Maduro has been dealt a losing hand from the start - this Guyana stuff feels like a last ditch move of desperation, and it's never going to work. It's the Venezuelan people you have to feel sorry for 😔

I very much do feel sorry for the Venezuelan, but don’t go making out that Chavez and Maduro are Robin Hoods. They are / were very bad men, with very bad plans, and the country is an absolute mess because of them.

(I know quite a few Venezuelans that have left in a mass exodus). 

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

I very much do feel sorry for the Venezuelan, but don’t go making out that Chavez and Maduro are Robin Hoods. They are / were very bad men, with very bad plans, and the country is an absolute mess because of them.

(I know quite a few Venezuelans that have left in a mass exodus). 

Did I imagine it, or is your wife Venezuelan?

I don't know huge amounts about the details of what Chavez and Maduro did, other than I believe Chavez did appear to have good intentions back in 1998  - hence his winning the presidency, but ultimately he seems to have been just another populist basket case South American leader, just left-wing instead of right-wing. Argentina have just made the same mistake

2 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Did I imagine it, or is your wife Venezuelan?

I don't know huge amounts about the details of what Chavez and Maduro did, other than I believe Chavez did appear to have good intentions back in 1998  - hence his winning the presidency, but ultimately he seems to have been just another populist basket case South American leader, just left-wing instead of right-wing. Argentina have just made the same mistake

Peruvian, but close enough. She keeps her ear to the ground. Crack pot South American leaders is a very fair shout. She’s not too happy with the political situation in Peru at the minute either.

there are a lot of Venezuelans in Peru though.

thats the problem with Communism, which looks good on paper, but it seems like every time its out into practice, the people in charge get corrupted. It’s like everyone is equal, expect me, I’m a little bit more equal than everyone else. And then it all goes wrong.