Form in November

Wistaston Ram

It has been a pretty good November for the rams (Crewe aside). DavesaRam mentioned in another thread about how we  traditionally do well in November.  It is something I have long suspected, certainly in my time following Derby since the late 70s, so while idly flicking through my copy of the complete record I thought I would see how true it is.  Apologies to our younger viewers, I have only looked at the 80's and early 90's so far (1979-1990). A very turbulent time in the history of the club with a fall and rise in fortunes over the the decade.

Out of a total of 53 games played in November we won 26 (49%) drew 18 (34%) and lost 9 (17%). Some memorable home wins during that period were v Forest 4.1 (1979), v Lincoln 7.0 (1985), Man City 6.0 (1989).  Away wins included v Stoke 2.0 (1986), v Southampton (2.1) v Spurs 3.1 (1988),2.1 (1989), v Villa 2.1 (1988).  I was lucky enough to have gone to most of these games, which is probably why I think November is such a good month as a Derby fan.  Be interesting to see if the theory still holds for more recent seasons, but I cannot be arsed! 

Derby have certainly gone on runs of good form in the late Autumn/early Winter in the past. It’s been noted by some managers successful of promotion in the past that a side need at least 2 good runs of form in a season to give themselves the best chance at going up. One is around the time we do it, the other run should be March onwards as the season starts to wrap up. That’s where our issues have been recently.

I’d like to think our good run currently can carry on into the new year, but it will be important that this team pick up form again in the Spring

We went 6/6 in the Billy Davies season.

McClaren went 7/8 in the 2013/14 season, while winning six on the spin in his return after Nigel Pearson.

In 2014/15 and 2015/16 after somewhat slow starts we really hit form in November and topped the league around New Year. Both seasons we beat Ipswich away 1-0 around that time too.

Throw in Rowett and Lampard where we also surged up the table and late autumn, early winter has mostly been a good time for us.

The only one where I can think of the opposite was under Nigel Clough after Kuqi left. 

If we can avoid a collapse in December, and get some really good additions/replacements in January, theres no reason that the November form can't be replicated. A few sustained periods of good form and we have a chance to get out of this dreadful league. 

Usually when we have had a good phone of form. It has been when we have been playing attractive football. AT present our has been boring at best!

It will be interesting to see if we hit top form when we get to a play decent football which is worth watching! At that time we could run away with this league and start on the road back to where we really belong.

Should we continue playing as we are and ride the crest of a slump we will be condemned to yet another year in league one. Maybe we still need one significant signing in the January transfer window!

On 02/12/2023 at 22:59, europia said:

If we can avoid a collapse in December, and get some really good additions/replacements in January, theres no reason that the November form can't be replicated. A few sustained periods of good form and we have a chance to get out of this dreadful league. 

My thoughts entirely. A net improvement getting 1, maybe 2 strikers in, a speedy wide player, and a proper solid Seth/Hudds-like midfielder plus adequately replacing any players exiting is what is needed.