Headline of the week

GboroRam

36 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

Taken at face value, that's just ridiculous.

... but look deeper, and it's all more than fair.

First off, the decision makers "just wanted to have a little fun", hence the wording on their signs and announcements.  I'd applaud that, personally.

Fact is, this is a free-of-charge drop-off area "at the door", where traffic and foot-flow is likely to be high and constant.  There's a nearby car park apparently, that gives a free 15 minutes, and one would assume there is the option to park for longer, for a fee.

Last time I looked, EMA had no free drop off area ("At the door")... which equates to "No free hugging area" whatsoever!

They do have a drop off area (at EMA)... At a minimum £5 for up to 15mins, + £1 for each minute thereafter.  (That's where the headline should be!)
Again, there are alternatives at other EMA car parks... but nothing for free, anywhere near the entrance/Departures!  (£6 for 30 mins is the cheapest at short stay). 
You can get a free hour at long stay... 15min walk, or shuttle-bus away.)

I know which I'd prefer!

EDIT:
... And besides, 3 minutes is ample time for a hug.  Why, some of us can make love and have the kettle on in that time!

Edited by Mucker1884

7 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Taken at face value, that's just ridiculous.

... but look deeper, and it's all more than fair.

First off, the decision makers "just wanted to have a little fun", hence the wording on their signs and announcements.  I'd applaud that, personally.

Fact is, this is a free-of-charge drop-off area "at the door", where traffic and foot-flow is likely to be high and constant.  There's a nearby car park apparently, that gives a free 15 minutes, and one would assume there is the option to park for longer, for a fee.

Last time I looked, EMA had no free drop off area ("At the door")... which equates to "No free hugging area" whatsoever!

They do have a drop off area (at EMA)... At a minimum £5 for up to 15mins, + £1 for each minute thereafter.  (That's where the headline should be!)
Again, there are alternatives at other EMA car parks... but nothing for free, anywhere near the entrance/Departures!  (£6 for 30 mins is the cheapest at short stay). 
You can get a free hour at long stay... 15min walk, or shuttle-bus away.)

I know which I'd prefer!

EDIT:
... And besides, 3 minutes is ample time for a hug.  Why, some of us can make love and have the kettle on in that time!

The clue is in...the thread title 😉

image.png.327def257b5dc921a43101da6022097a.png

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13981771/Sign-New-Zealand-airport-hugging.html

37 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cn5z54236wgo

Serious Fraud Office probe £112m Unite union hotel. 

Unite the Union spent a total of £112m of its members’ money on the project in Birmingham.

The building has since been valued at just £29m, suggesting £83m has been wasted.

Keep paying the subs lads. They want to build an extension next.

£14M has simply vanished....I'm sure the Unite leadership team have some lovely houses though....

And just two days ago, a senior official at Unite lost an unfair dismissal claim amid a police investigation into allegations of bribery, fraud and money-laundering...

Edited by Gaspode

46 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cn5z54236wgo

Serious Fraud Office probe £112m Unite union hotel. 

Unite the Union spent a total of £112m of its members’ money on the project in Birmingham.

The building has since been valued at just £29m, suggesting £83m has been wasted.

Keep paying the subs lads. They want to build an extension next.

Len McCluskey was the General Secretary at the time but no accusations that he had anything to do with this, He changed Unite policy to carry on for another 2 years, He was in a long running battle with Jerry Hicks who was RR works convenor at Bristol and sacked, Bristol workers had a rep of striking/walking out and the finger pointed at Hicks, But he was on holiday at the time, Hicks took RR to court for unfair dismissal, Won his case, RR refused to take him back 

3 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

Len McCluskey was the General Secretary at the time but no accusations that he had anything to do with this, He changed Unite policy to carry on for another 2 years, He was in a long running battle with Jerry Hicks who was RR works convenor at Bristol and sacked, Bristol workers had a rep of striking/walking out and the finger pointed at Hicks, But he was on holiday at the time, Hicks took RR to court for unfair dismissal, Won his case, RR refused to take him back 

My wife spotted McCluskey and his partner as we were passing through London Bridge station a couple of weeks ago (I didn't clock him). He's got a flat somewhere around that area that he bought a few years ago with a £500,000 interest-free loan from Unite when he was Gen Sec. I've little doubt that he and his allies cheated Jerry Hicks out of the position in a rigged election. McCluskey is another bloke who, if asked "what would you be if you weren't a powerful Union boss" could legitimately answer "a Virgin".