Maddy Cusack

WystonRam

Sorry if i missed it but I couldn’t see a thread for her. She used to referee our clubs games , girls teams. She was always very pleasant. I’ve ben at the WSL Arsenal v Liverpool game today and they had a minutes silence for her, impeccable and sombre as it was so quiet. Was quite sad if i am honest.

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, WystonRam said:

More coming out about this now. Sad.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-67558218

Very sad case. Not sure what they're getting at though with regards to the amount she was paid for football and having another job, it's like most semi-pro footballers... it's very very common in non-league everywhere. Financial pressure is certainly a problem, it's got worse for everyone over the last few years, but not sure this makes complete sense yet.

40 minutes ago, Srg said:

Very sad case. Not sure what they're getting at though with regards to the amount she was paid for football and having another job, it's like most semi-pro footballers... it's very very common in non-league everywhere. Financial pressure is certainly a problem, it's got worse for everyone over the last few years, but not sure this makes complete sense yet.

It's a very sad case, but I agree this sounds like an oblique way to blame the club for her troubles and that may or may not be unfair. By giving her a job in the club office, it seems on the surface at least that they were trying to help with her financial worries with what ought to have been a fairly flexible arrangement. Hopefully though, the family will in time get answers to the many questions they must have about what was causing her such personal pain.

They highlight the timeframe of February 2023 with a downturn in her mental wellbeing. You can join the dots, but someone joined Sheffield United Women's team then and was suspended following her death. The names not being published whilst investigations are under way, but I think it's much deeper than just about how much she was earning.

2 hours ago, roboto said:

They highlight the timeframe of February 2023 with a downturn in her mental wellbeing. You can join the dots, but someone joined Sheffield United Women's team then and was suspended following her death. The names not being published whilst investigations are under way, but I think it's much deeper than just about how much she was earning.

Yes I think so. 

I assume folk are talking about Jonathan Morgan. He's stood down pending the outcome of an investigation into his behaviour which does not sound good, but there's nothing concrete as yet to confirm that the two things are definitely linked.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/sheffield-united-womens-team-manager-under-investigation-following-complaint-over-alleged-behaviour/a1384715174.html