Scunthorpe Chairman

uttoxram75

Looks like he's done the decent thing too, if the quote from the new owner has any bearing...

“I would like to thank everyone who assisted in the transaction, especially David Hilton.  
There are a lot of challenges and problems to overcome, but David has taken no fee for the club, and wiped all monies that he personally invested to enable this deal to happen. I wish him and his family all the best for the future, and I hope he finds some peace away from football.

On 03/10/2023 at 21:40, jono said:

Somewhere there must be a common sense equation for this industry. Years ago a small manufacturing company owner said to me - plus or minus …. it’s direct labour and raw materials, then double it and you won’t be far wrong. So working backwards … matchday costs plus wages relative to turnover and you have a figure. They have tried it before in one form or another. There doesn’t need to be a wages cap but quite simply it just has to be linked to turnover/commercial acumen . Which is tickets and sponsor deals VS wages and running costs. All of these are within a clubs ability to define easily to whoever is overseeing the machinery. Why is it so complicated ? 

All sounds good but leaves enough loopholes to drive a fleet of double decker buses through.

Lets say someone like Jeff Bazos decides he wants to own a football club. I'll give you one guess on what company would be pouring in millions of pounds in sponsorship.

2 hours ago, 1of4 said:

All sounds good but leaves enough loopholes to drive a fleet of double decker buses through.

Lets say someone like Jeff Bazos decides he wants to own a football club. I'll give you one guess on what company would be pouring in millions of pounds in sponsorship.

Which in a sense doesn’t bother me too much. What I want to avoid is the crazy gamblers who try and keep up with sovereign wealth funds, fail,  and then take the club and its community with it. In most circumstances a failed business damages creditors who know the risks when they trade with a limited liability company. It’s business.

When a Football club fails it is hugely damaging to a whole community. In another post I suggested some sort of bond akin to IATA or ABTA along with borrowing locks/financial surety  on the stadium and the clubs league membership. The EFL shouldn’t “own” and dispense the golden ticket /membership on a whim. It needs to be held by an independent regulator. 

Here’s a thing .. what about some element of average matchday support / match day tickets sold ? Not value .. numbers of bums on seats

You’re right though, as soon as there is a rule there is someone looking for a way round it without breaking it.