Front two option.

jimbobram

With the likely formation changing to 532 next season and a clear lack of realistic attacking options in the free agent market, could we potentially fill the front with players we currently have. 

This formation doesn’t really give our most dangerous attacking players NML and Barkhuizen a position in the team which is a concern for me.

Could 1 or both be potential striking options ? 

Edited by jimbobram

To be fair, I think Barkhuizen could play up front. He’s intelligent enough to work the role, and does pretty well in tight spaces. Think he’d do reasonably ok linking up with someone who’s got a bit more strength and can hold the ball up for him.

Mendez-Laing, however, is completely negated up front. His strengths lie in using his pace and power to drive past the opposition. He doesn’t have the space to operate effectively if he’s through the middle. 

And therein lies one of my worries. Our current squad does not suit 3-5-2, and would take a lot of surgery to adjust - which does not appear to be our plan in the transfer market. I hope Warne doesn’t try to force the team into his favoured formation when it’s not capable of it.

1 hour ago, jimbobram said:

With the likely formation changing to 532 next season and a clear lack of realistic attacking options in the free agent market, could we potentially fill the front with players we currently have. 

This formation doesn’t really give our most dangerous attacking players NML and Barkhuizen a position in the team which is a concern for me.

Which is why it'll be 3421. Mendez-Laing, Barkhuizen, Sibley and a new signing competing in the '2'.

Collins and 1 or 2 others competing for the CF spot.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Which is why it'll be 3421. Mendez-Laing, Barkhuizen, Sibley and a new signing competing in the '2'.

If we’re relying last year’s strike force we won’t get the goals we need for automatic promotion.

None of those listed are goalscorers.

11 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Certainly more appealing 

5 hours ago, jimbobram said:

4 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

To be fair, I think Barkhuizen could play up front. He’s intelligent enough to work the role, and does pretty well in tight spaces. Think he’d do reasonably ok linking up with someone who’s got a bit more strength and can hold the ball up for him.

Mendez-Laing, however, is completely negated up front. His strengths lie in using his pace and power to drive past the opposition. He doesn’t have the space to operate effectively if he’s through the middle. 

And therein lies one of my worries. Our current squad does not suit 3-5-2, and would take a lot of surgery to adjust - which does not appear to be our plan in the transfer market. I hope Warne doesn’t try to force the team into his favoured formation when it’s not capable of it.

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I think our current squad suits a 343 best with the likes of NML and Barks being "inside forwards". This could changed to a 3412 with say Sibley playing in the 10 role.