Academy thread 23/24

IlsonDerby

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

There are a number of promising moments, but we need to tighten up at the back.

We're arguably missing out on our first choice CB duo in Bardell and Bartley. With a fully fit first team, Rooney probably would have been dropping down occasionally too.

I would try to slot the odd first team defender in when we have a gap in our first team schedule. At the very least, it would help top up the match fitness of players like Elder and Bradley. But, I feel an experienced defender could help the youngster with their positioning and decision making.

Has Bradley Johnson ever played in defence? 

I ask because he was caught out for pace on their second goal and a couple of other times,too.

Thought he would be a stronger option at centre half than what we have available currently. 

Having said that, he did play some fantastic through balls last night that set off our attacking moves.

So, I think I've talked myself out of that suggestion already! 

As you were.

10 minutes ago, angieram said:

I ask because he was caught out for pace on their second goal and a couple of other times,too.

Thought he would be a stronger option at centre half than what we have available currently. 

Having said that, he did play some fantastic through balls last night that set off our attacking moves.

As you were.

😄🐏

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

There are a number of promising moments, but we need to tighten up at the back.

We're arguably missing out on our first choice CB duo in Bardell and Bartley. With a fully fit first team, Rooney probably would have been dropping down occasionally too.

I would try to slot the odd first team defender in when we have a gap in our first team schedule. At the very least, it would help top up the match fitness of players like Elder and Bradley. But, I feel an experienced defender could help the youngster with their positioning and decision making.

For me this is where we need to play Johnson. He can coach from there and if needed can play Radcliffe as the holding midfield.

Last night back 4

First year pro.  Pro.  2nd year Scholar. Loan

moore.      Radcliffe.      Cox.        Jeffcott

Thats a young back 4 and let’s be honest Jeffcot is looking for another club after Arsenal. 

Add to that we had no cover for the FBs from our “wingers” covering there runners so you need to rely on your “4” to drop in. I hate to say it but Johnson looked leggy last night which is why I think playing him at CB helps the team and him. 

57 minutes ago, angieram said:

As you were.

You have just read my mind. I know we look lightweight without him in there as Fapetu is struggling to get up to speedat this level at the moment but I’d swap him for Radcliffe and ask for Robinson to play whenever he can…

1 hour ago, angieram said:

As you were.

I used to be indecisive. These days, I'm not so sure.