The Boxing but not Boxing Thread

Day

Eddie Hearn is doing a good job crapping all over this in a complimentary way. He knows what he is doing.

Praising Fury for taking a fight for mega money where there isn’t a chance in a million of him losing.

Anybody who pays to watch this is an absolute mug. You’re paying for a glorified spar between a world heavyweight champion and another guy who wouldn’t even make top 5 heavyweight boxers in Chesterfield.

Edited by Bris Vegas

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Not confident on this one. Diaz is sounding pretty punch drunk in all of the prefight interviews and he is too small...

Won't be drunk, will be high. That's Diaz and all this is pretty standard behaviour for him.

He's an animal, you wouldn't think he would have stamina for days and do triathlons when listening to him.

If he loses, my prediction will be a doctor stoppage, he has so much scar tissue now he could sneeze and open up a gash.

1 minute ago, David said:

Won't be drunk, will be high. That's Diaz and all this is pretty standard behaviour for him.

He's an animal, you wouldn't think he would have stamina for days and do triathlons when listening to him.

If he loses, my prediction will be a doctor stoppage, he has so much scar tissue now he could sneeze and open up a gash.

No doubt that he isn't going to run out of energy in the fight to be fair, I just think the size disparity is going to be too much. The scar tissue definitely isn't going to help. That stoppage against Masvidal proved as much! Generally he's had an iron chin but Jake Paul surprisingly has a bit of power.. I can only see it going one way. 

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

No doubt that he isn't going to run out of energy in the fight to be fair, I just think the size disparity is going to be too much. The scar tissue definitely isn't going to help. That stoppage against Masvidal proved as much! Generally he's had an iron chin but Jake Paul surprisingly has a bit of power.. I can only see it going one way. 

I think it's the volume that Diaz will offer rather than brute power, would go to a decision I'm thinking.

10 rounds, will be nothing for him to keep up.

1 minute ago, David said:

I think it's the volume that Diaz will offer rather than brute power, would go to a decision I'm thinking.

10 rounds, will be nothing for him to keep up.

I'd love to see it. I really would. It'd be a great way for Nate to celebrate a pay day, but I think Jake is going to get a KO. I think Nate is going to come out hard to start the fight, and when it settles in the physical mismatch is going to play the key part.

30 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I'd love to see it. I really would. It'd be a great way for Nate to celebrate a pay day, but I think Jake is going to get a KO. I think Nate is going to come out hard to start the fight, and when it settles in the physical mismatch is going to play the key part.

KO really? Can't see that happening at all 

I know next to nothing about Nate Diaz but I hope he wins. 

I'm fed up of mismatch fights followed by trash talk about going on to bigger things to then return with another fixed mismatch WWE event. 

Weight divisions exist for a reason. Why do we not fight people our own size anymore?

Like wtf was with that Anderson Silva fight. Thought he was some UFC legend. Getting beat up by a YTer. What's that then? Fixed? UFC is a farce? Mismatch? 

All this is making Mayweather Vs McGregor look honest. And as a boxing fan I could see that was 100% Mayweather in exhibition. How can it have gotten worse from that point. 

I mean if Froch and Bellew actually did come back for these events and just ironed these con artists out it would be the sweetest sporting moment ever.

Just Bellew, round 1, bang, done. 

25 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I know next to nothing about Nate Diaz but I hope he wins. 

I'm fed up of mismatch fights followed by trash talk about going on to bigger things to then return with another fixed mismatch WWE event. 

Weight divisions exist for a reason. Why do we not fight people our own size anymore?

Like wtf was with that Anderson Silva fight. Thought he was some UFC legend. Getting beat up by a YTer. What's that then? Fixed? UFC is a farce? Mismatch? 

All this is making Mayweather Vs McGregor look honest. And as a boxing fan I could see that was 100% Mayweather in exhibition. How can it have gotten worse from that point. 

I mean if Froch and Bellew actually did come back for these events and just ironed these con artists out it would be the sweetest sporting moment ever.

Just Bellew, round 1, bang, done. 

I'd pay the PPV to watch that, no bother 😂

Saw bits online this morning. 

Diaz looked like a guy who's never fought before! 🤣 What was he doing?!? 

No wonder he was picked out. Jesus Christ. 

I might watch Fury v Ngannou now. These guys are comical. UFC seems like just regular blokes having it out. No way are these guys actually trained in combat? Are they just hard nuts dragged off the street?

6 hours ago, Alpha said:

Saw bits online this morning. 

Diaz looked like a guy who's never fought before! 🤣 What was he doing?!? 

No wonder he was picked out. Jesus Christ. 

I might watch Fury v Ngannou now. These guys are comical. UFC seems like just regular blokes having it out. No way are these guys actually trained in combat? Are they just hard nuts dragged off the street?

Nate's an old school wrecking machine, but he's punchy AF and well past his best. Also, these guys are not being paid to fight, they're being paid to lose. Tommy Fury still thinks he's a fighter, so he came to fight, but from what I've seen of the ex-MMA fighters, they're just collecting a paycheck and why not? They've earned it more than Paul.

As for are they trained? Of course they are. Most never stop training, but in a cage fight, it's not just the front of the other guy's fists you need to deal with. Knees, feet, forearms, elbows, it's all allowed and that's before you take into account the grappling side of things with the nasty joint stretching limb bars and the 'you're going sleepy nite-nite' chokeholds. MMA bouts are won from time to time by fighters standing and punching, boxer style, but not that often, which the cash aside, is why you'll see ex-MMA guys or guys  at the end of their careers stepping in a boxing ring, but you'll very seldom see boxers go the other way. Very different sports, with very different skill-sets after all and the risk-profiles are a mile apart.

And there's the pinch... While I've come to not begrudge the MMA fighters earning the dollar (these guys will be retiring off these Jake Paul fights), I do lament the light in which it portrays the sport, given very few MMA fighters will have had any meaningful boxing experience and are all tiny compared to the guy they're being paid to fight. Frankly, a rematch between Diaz and Paul in an octagon would show folk quite clearly and quickly, who has combat training and who does not.

1 hour ago, Comrade 86 said:

Nate's an old school wrecking machine, but he's punchy AF and well past his best. Also, these guys are not being paid to fight, they're being paid to lose. Tommy Fury still thinks he's a fighter, so he came to fight, but from what I've seen of the ex-MMA fighters, they're just collecting a paycheck and why not? They've earned it more than Paul.

As for are they trained? Of course they are. Most never stop training, but in a cage fight, it's not just the front of the other guy's fists you need to deal with. Knees, feet, forearms, elbows, it's all allowed and that's before you take into account the grappling side of things with the nasty joint stretching limb bars and the 'you're going sleepy nite-nite' chokeholds. MMA bouts are won from time to time by fighters standing and punching, boxer style, but not that often, which the cash aside, is why you'll see ex-MMA guys or guys  at the end of their careers stepping in a boxing ring, but you'll very seldom see boxers go the other way. Very different sports, with very different skill-sets after all and the risk-profiles are a mile apart.

And there's the pinch... While I've come to not begrudge the MMA fighters earning the dollar (these guys will be retiring off these Jake Paul fights), I do lament the light in which it portrays the sport, given very few MMA fighters will have had any meaningful boxing experience and are all tiny compared to the guy they're being paid to fight. Frankly, a rematch between Diaz and Paul in an octagon would show folk quite clearly and quickly, who has combat training and who does not.

It looks bad for anyone who doesn't watch UFC. It reflects badly on the sport cus these guys are so poor at fighting. Like Anderson Silva, I heard the name but the first time I paid attention to him was when he lost to a YouTuber. 

I guess the thing is that it does always take place in a boxing ring. They do look so utterly terrible. That Tyrone guy? Ben Asken? McGregor looked the best but still didn't look like even an average boxer. 

Then even a fraud like Tommy Fury outclassed a YTer. 

I guess for boxing it's all in home ground. 

If I was a UFC fan I'd be pissed. But it's the boxing fans that seem more offended. 

20 minutes ago, Alpha said:

It looks bad for anyone who doesn't watch UFC. It reflects badly on the sport cus these guys are so poor at fighting. Like Anderson Silva, I heard the name but the first time I paid attention to him was when he lost to a YouTuber. 

I guess the thing is that it does always take place in a boxing ring. They do look so utterly terrible. That Tyrone guy? Ben Asken? McGregor looked the best but still didn't look like even an average boxer. 

If I was a UFC fan I'd be pissed. But it's the boxing fans that seem more offended. 

Yh, ok mate 👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/08/2023 at 20:09, Alpha said:

It's not that they are bad at fighting, they are bad at boxing.

In MMA it's labeled as striking. Boxing is a different world, you could walk down Derby City Centre and find people on the street with more power than Jake Paul, it's the boxing IQ that they would be lacking.

Jake Paul and co wouldn't last a round in the Octagon where they could be kicked, taken down, elbowed and chocked.

It's disappointing to see them cross over and get humiliated by a YouTuber that has been training for a few years. Jake Paul is talking about coming over but I doubt he will as he would get battered.

At the same time Nate Diaz earned more from that boxing than his UFC career in total. That's the sad thing, they are not paid for what they go through so you can understand why they are happy to throw their hat in the boxing ring knowing that one fight will set them up for life.