Broken iPad, advice needed

TuffLuff

So I was a bit stupid a few days ago, my rucksack was full so put my iPad on top of everything and put it in the boot of my car. Forgot about the iPads precarious position when getting it out and the iPad slipped out of its magnetic case (load of use that was) and fell on the pavement. This has caused the ‘sleep/hour’ button to be permanently down so I can’t switch it on anymore. Everything else is seemingly fine.

Took it to the Apple Shop tonight and they basically won’t do anything because I don’t pay for the apple care kit. It won’t switch on either when plugged in because it’s in recovery mode.. Best they can offer is to sort it through insurance or I could have paid £459 for a recovered model (I politely declined). 

I’m not particularly tech savvy so I have a few questions.

1) if I now got apple care kit and took the iPad back then is that worth a gamble or they going to have a record of me going to the shop with the same issue?

2) is this worth trying to repair or a lost cause? Anyone know any decent repair shops in Derby/Derbyshire who’d be willing to give this a go?

If you buy Apple Care after the purchase window, you would need to run Apple’s diagnostic app before completing the purchase. It checks to make sure the device has no issues. Which obviously you wouldn’t be able to do as it can’t be turned on.

Also needs to be done within 1 year of purchase.

Best bet is either 3rd party repair or through your insurance now.

10 minutes ago, David said:

If you buy Apple Care after the purchase window, you would need to run Apple’s diagnostic app before completing the purchase. It checks to make sure the device has no issues. Which obviously you wouldn’t be able to do as it can’t be turned on.

Thanks David, I’m still within a year but not for too much longer so might see what I can do in terms of getting it to switch on (when I put it on charge a page comes up telling me to plug it into a laptop and go to an apple restore website).

11 hours ago, David said:

I think you need to buy it within the first 60 days actually. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202702

Best bet is probably through insurance or a third party. If you feel comfortable having a go yourself @TuffLuff then that is an option too. Swapped out many a screen for friends in the past so it can be done with the right parts off ebay etc.

7 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

I think you need to buy it within the first 60 days actually. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202702

Best bet is probably through insurance or a third party. If you feel comfortable having a go yourself @TuffLuff then that is an option too. Swapped out many a screen for friends in the past so it can be done with the right parts off ebay etc.

Bottom of your link:

In some countries and regions, you can buy an AppleCare Protection Plan within 1 year of purchasing an eligible Mac, Apple TV or other device.

UK is one of the countries

2 minutes ago, David said:

Bottom of your link:

In some countries and regions, you can buy an AppleCare Protection Plan within 1 year of purchasing an eligible Mac, Apple TV or other device.

UK is one of the countries

Weird. I've never been able to buy after 60 days. Even my new devices show a days remaining before I can't add it anymore. I missed it on my M1 Pro MBP and it won't let me do it now. I think you can after that time in store but obviously subject to them checking it. Can't see them doing it for the already dinged iPad though.

4 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

Weird. I've never been able to buy after 60 days. Even my new devices show a days remaining before I can't add it anymore. I missed it on my M1 Pro MBP and it won't let me do it now. I think you can after that time in store but obviously subject to them checking it. Can't see them doing it for the already dinged iPad though.

I’ve done it once and was linked to a diagnostic test to run first, might have changed it now where you go in store. Would make sense I guess.

While we're on the topic of iPad issues...

Miss Wolfie has an old iPad Mini 5 of mine (not under warranty) and the screen has developed a fault where a section stops responding to touch. Sometimes it's a small section right in the centre and others, it is more widespread.

Software is fully updated and hard reboots (she says) have worked for a while and then it comes back. I do wonder if she's right in this but she's only 9!.

Does anyone have any experience with a similar problem?. is it a new screen at a phone repair shop or another solution I haven't thought of?

Ta

2 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Miss Wolfie has an old iPad Mini 5 of mine (not under warranty) and the screen has developed a fault where a section stops responding to touch. Sometimes it's a small section right in the centre and others, it is more widespread.

Software is fully updated and hard reboots (she says) have worked for a while and then it comes back. I do wonder if she's right in this but she's only 9!.

Does anyone have any experience with a similar problem?. is it a new screen at a phone repair shop or another solution I haven't thought of?

Ta

UK consumer law should cover you as long as the device doesn't have any cosmetic damage where they can claim it's been dropped, that's what has caused the fault.

https://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/uk/

4 hours ago, David said:

UK consumer law should cover you as long as the device doesn't have any cosmetic damage where they can claim it's been dropped, that's what has caused the fault.

https://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/uk/

6 year coverage under UK law?. I don't understand that & how companies can impose a 1 year warranty only.

Anyway, mine was bought while on holiday in the US, so won't be covered anyway.

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

6 year coverage under UK law?. I don't understand that & how companies can impose a 1 year warranty only.

Anyway, mine was bought while on holiday in the US, so won't be covered anyway.

Yeah it's a new law that they don't really want you to know. Basically covers you for having a working device for 6 years, so all this 1 and 2 years is nonsense really.

I do pay £12pm for my iPhone Apple Care still as it covers me for accidental damage, loss and theft. 

Things like iPads, MacBooks which I don't take out the house much and look after well I don't bother with.

Had one repair outside of warranty for a hard drive failure.

I've actually got a new iPad 11" pro coming tomorrow.

I've got a 10.5" about 3 years old. It was actually a replacement for one I had burgled (in Portugal), and the insurance company gave me a refurbed replacement, but the finger-print button never worked. Aside of that it's fine, so I might flog it.

On 14/11/2022 at 21:40, TuffLuff said:

So I was a bit stupid a few days ago, my rucksack was full so put my iPad on top of everything and put it in the boot of my car. Forgot about the iPads precarious position when getting it out and the iPad slipped out of its magnetic case (load of use that was) and fell on the pavement. This has caused the ‘sleep/hour’ button to be permanently down so I can’t switch it on anymore. Everything else is seemingly fine.

Took it to the Apple Shop tonight and they basically won’t do anything because I don’t pay for the apple care kit. It won’t switch on either when plugged in because it’s in recovery mode.. Best they can offer is to sort it through insurance or I could have paid £459 for a recovered model (I politely declined). 

1) if I now got apple care kit and took the iPad back then is that worth a gamble or they going to have a record of me going to the shop with the same issue?

2) is this worth trying to repair or a lost cause? Anyone know any decent repair shops in Derby/Derbyshire who’d be willing to give this a go?

Worth checking if you are covered for accidental damage on either your house insurance or car insurance.

The normal consumer advice is you should never pay for extended warranties or accidental damage plans from the manufacturer or retailer. Instead, add it as an extra to your home insurance policy. Much cheaper and covers all your devices.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/11/2022 at 10:35, Wolfie said:

Ta

Mine does the same when in landscape mode but works fine in portrait.

Boughtt   second hand from eBay three years ago so I just live with it!

Edited by Brammie Steve

• 1 month later...
On 14/11/2022 at 21:40, TuffLuff said:

Small update, but ended up getting it fixed from a mate and it’s as good as new. Just for future ref that these things are fixable.

Two fingers up to the sh***hawks in the apple shop at Meadowhall!

Edited by TuffLuff

On 12/01/2023 at 13:46, TuffLuff said:

Small update, but ended up getting it fixed from a mate and it’s as good as new. Just for future ref that these things are fixable.

Two fingers up to the sh***hawks in the apple shop at Meadowhall!

I've always tried to fix first before taking them back/claiming on insurance.  There's 100's of Youtube videos on how to replace batteries, homescreens, buttons, cameras etc.  and you can get every component off ebay for peanuts.  It's just whether you're willing to give it a go. 

Although now that my iphone model doesn't have a home button, and have become for more fiddly I don't think I'll risk it next time