Luke Varney

Day

7 hours ago, Andrew3000 said:

His poorly-told anecdotes just aren't funny,shocking or reveal any interesting insight and instead reflect badly on him as an impulsive bloke with little regard for his teammates or profession beyond his own amusement.

He speaks with pride at the worst aspects of British lad culture. Grim.

That's a pretty good description of one of the hosts, never mind Luke Varney! I would watch/listen to more of those if they changed their personnel. I think some of the guests sink to that level too sometimes.

I will give Varney 20 minutes and see if it/he is as awful as you suggest!

• 1 month later...
On 09/11/2022 at 08:20, jameso said:

That's a pretty good description of one of the hosts, never mind Luke Varney! I would watch/listen to more of those if they changed their personnel. I think some of the guests sink to that level too sometimes.

I will give Varney 20 minutes and see if it/he is as awful as you suggest!

I actually think that they're really good interviewers. They are able to put their guests at ease and encourage them to speak openly. Too much of modern football is sanitised PR speak, so it's great to actually hear the truth, even if that truth is depressingly juvenile and grim on occasion. 

20 hours ago, Anon said:

I actually think that they're really good interviewers. They are able to put their guests at ease and encourage them to speak openly. Too much of modern football is sanitised PR speak, so it's great to actually hear the truth, even if that truth is depressingly juvenile and grim on occasion. 

I think two of them ask good questions, particularly the one who isn't an ex-professional!

I agree though that they do (usually) give their guest a chance to speak, which sometimes makes for a brilliant interview. I loved the Martin Allen one.