Postive start to the season

B4ev6is

I think positive is how I'd describe it at the moment. 

The key positives are that we look like we have a plan for how we want to play, have been recruiting accordingly, have an idea of how we are going to create space and chances and we are trying to go into games to impose ourselves and control the game. And so far it seems to be getting more cohesive game to game (especially after we got a couple more free agents over the line). It was my major criticism over Rooney last year and this year he's somewhat surprised me so far. 

It's not all roses; we should really have more points on the board, we've been wasteful in front of goal and have a propensity for a defensive howler. There is still a couple tactical issues to iron out and I do think Rooney can be overly conservative at times. But my hope is that we now have something to build on. I'm not overly worried about who we've played because form in this division is fickle and the quality of sides is relatively flat compared with a lot of leagues, I think if we kick on from what we've done so far we will be absolutely fine.

17 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

Middlesbrough were not expected to be top 6. 

Huddersfield are 4th at the moment, but they have only played Reading, Preston, Sheff Utd, and us. They lost 5-1 v Fulham. Huddersfield are a mid table side at best.

Yeah your right about the refs in Middlesbrough & Forest games, but we shouldn't be relying on having to get pens from the officials. 

Middlesbrough are expected to be NEAR the top six. 

Huddersfield aren't good but they're in form. We did better against them than Sheff Utd, Preston and Reading, which isn't that bad considering we're meant to be the favourite for relegation.

You can't really tell how good every team is after the first few games of the season. Wait till it settles down after the international break, then we can judge it., but the start is much better than the end of last season. 

Edited by DCFC Kicks

Trying to stay positive, when all I read is negativity. We aren’t the car crash ( poor analogy ) team we thought we would be. Rooney doubters need to give him a break IMO.  We are playing better football at times and that was what we needed . Admittedly we aren’t doing it for 90 mins but it’s a start.  To be able to do this under our squad/embargo problems gives me hope that when we can free ourselves from the EFL obsession to hurt us we can move forward and challenge this division .

COYR??

11 hours ago, Ruud Aralliss said:

Trying to stay positive, when all I read is negativity. We aren’t the car crash ( poor analogy ) team we thought we would be. Rooney doubters need to give him a break IMO.  We are playing better football at times and that was what we needed . Admittedly we aren’t doing it for 90 mins but it’s a start.  To be able to do this under our squad/embargo problems gives me hope that when we can free ourselves from the EFL obsession to hurt us we can move forward and challenge this division .

COYR??

Agree. Wayne has said himself that at the moment we are not managing to play in the second half as we do in the first. He says more bravery needed. Our first half's have been very good. If they can get us playing just a little better in the second half we will be a pretty decent match for most teams which in my opinion is pretty good going from the management team. 

46 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Agree. Wayne has said himself that at the moment we are not managing to play in the second half as we do in the first. He says more bravery needed. Our first half's have been very good. If they can get us playing just a little better in the second half we will be a pretty decent match for most teams which in my opinion is pretty good going from the management team. 

I find this a very familiar pattern from the start of last season. After the Norwich game, up to Bournemouth, we were generally the better team in each first half, in some cases by some way. The comments at the time were about being braver, scoring the second goal. 

This season, we have a better team(though thin), we have had a full pre season to train with this set of players. There are things to be positive about and you can see what Rooney wants the team to do. How good that can be, not even considering it until at least 10 games in.