Steve McClaren

Poynton ram

29 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

This is sort of come down on it, I think he planned on staying but was deliberately leaving the door open a bit on the Newcastle job. Why ? I'm not 100% sure, perhaps it was because a premiership job at his boyhood club or perhaps it was because there was a new owner on the horizon and knowing how those things usually go he wanted to insure himself against it. I suspect the apologies when he came back were largely to smooth things over with fans and bury the hatchet.

Personally my unfounded cynical suspicion is that the sacking in each occasion was less about him and more about MM getting "his man" in post with both Clement and Rowett being rapidly appointed following McClaren's exit. With the Newcastle stuff being used as a bit of a smokescreen in the first instance and the down turn in results being used in the second instance.

Agree with that, especially with Rowett.

Just with football being such a short term employment, I'm not sure he needed any more reason to keep his Newcastle options open than the way the game is and it was at the time, an attractive job. I doubt him telling Newcastle 2p off would've made his chances any better that season.

I'll admit, it is a pet peeve of mine when footballers and politicians don't answer questions properly:

RD: 'What's your view of the Newcastle job that you're linked with'

Mac: 'I'm focused on the Derby job'

RD: 'But would you be interested if they made an approach'

Mac: 'Look (a tell-tale sign of BS to follow), it's all hypothetical. I'm here and working on the next match'

RD: 'What sort of answer is that? Why don't you just say yes or no? I'm actually none the wiser Stevie boy' (that's what he thought - I imagine! ;))

A parallel; Andrew Marr & 'Sir' Kier:

AM : 'Will you privatise the utilities?'

KS : 'no' (pick me up off the floor - an actual binary response)

AM : 'but it says here in your manifesto that you will'

KS : 'ah, but kinda.... but then the bigger boys... sorry... I don't understa... what I meant was....'

AM : 'you kinda trailed off there Sir Kier; would you like to finish the sentence?'

KS : 'what I meant was... it depends? And what I mean by that is that if the promise gets us in power we'll probably then realise that it's not feasible so yeah... I sort of mean it, sort of don't - same with all of it TBH'

AM : 'Thought so. Same old BS then. Just like Lib Dems - promise free Uni, blah, blah blah and once it, deliver on none of it'

KS : 'Yep, I'll go back to sniping at everything the government do but with absolutely no better ideas nor will I contribute in any meaningful way - and I reserve the right to change that at any given moment'.

AM : 'Thanks Kier - you're a true Red'

KS : 'Blues are no better'

AM : 'Trudat. Peace'

So there ya go, Steve Mac is exactly the same as Kier Starmer. I don't know where all that came from. Nurse!

39 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

Countless times, dont think so.

Listen I have zero "skin in the game" as far as really liking Stevie Mac or Mad Mel, they both mean nothing to me, but the facts are, Steve was SACKED by Mad Mel more than likely because of his ego getting the better of him, he did not quit to go to Newcastle, he said on numerous interviews that he wanted to stay at Derby and Newcastle did not appoint him until Mad Mel had sacked him...

It doesnt matter what you "think" Stevie Mac was thinking or not, the facts are that Mel sacked him, so he had no job, so who can blame him for taking the Newcastle job..?

21 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Listen I have zero "skin in the game" as far as really liking Stevie Mac or Mad Mel, they both mean nothing to me, but the facts are, Steve was SACKED by Mad Mel more than likely because of his ego getting the better of him, he did not quit to go to Newcastle, he said on numerous interviews that he wanted to stay at Derby and Newcastle did not appoint him until Mad Mel had sacked him...

It doesnt matter what you "think" Stevie Mac was thinking or not, the facts are that Mel sacked him, so he had no job, so who can blame him for taking the Newcastle job..?

So me and raich are wrong, dont recall the numerous interviews myself, but what do i know.

25 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Not commenting further, this has run its course, getting bored. We all got our own opinions, wouldnt be good if we all thought the same, dont you agree.

2 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

So me and raich are wrong, dont recall the numerous interviews myself, but what do i know.

I don't recall Lampard saying he wouldn't go to Chelsea? We all knew he wanted to manage them. Why on earth would you be surprised if Mac wanted to manage Newcastle?

He stayed with us, Mel sacked him because he wouldn't pinky swear that he had no interest in Newcastle! ?

41 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

I’m not saying you are wrong at all… I am saying that the facts are he didn’t leave us to go to Newcastle. Mad Mel sacked him… end of. He was without a job because (if I haven’t made It clear) Mad Mel sacked him, and then he got the Newcastle job - AFTER Mad Mel Sacked him….