ZONAL MARKING

3 hours ago, sage said:

I am amused at the level of criticism of something that people admit they don't understand.

In my case I wasn't clear. I don't understand why zonal marking is used so much not that I don't understand what it is...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I used to play centre forward in East Midlands senior league (?) I always used to go and stand next to the smallest defender in the box. Often they would move around to try and switch me to bigger defender but usually if I just followed him they would give up as they wanted to get set for the corner.

Not sure I have a point, other than you need discipline to man mark or zone mark. I did not score many goals, but often caused havoc leading to others scoring.

33 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

When I used to play centre forward in East Midlands senior league (?) I always used to go and stand next to the smallest defender in the box. Often they would move around to try and switch me to bigger defender but usually if I just followed him they would give up as they wanted to get set for the corner.

Not sure I have a point, other than you need discipline to man mark or zone mark. I did not score many goals, but often caused havoc leading to others scoring.

A mate of mine was a great header of the ball. Whenever we got our first corner, as it was being taken, he used to say to his marker 'have you ever seen a grown man naked?' 

Scored loads of goals that season. 

20 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

Whichever clown invented it should face a firing squad. Turned the simple art of defending a corner into something unnecessarily complicated.

In theory it’s not bad though? 
Man marking normally Means the attacker gets a run on the defender because it he defender is reacting to the attacker. In zonal marking you give the players a part of the box and tell them to win the ball there. 
it’s being executed poorly At the moment because there is no way that zonal marking doesn’t include the back post or the 6 yard box which is where Brun scored their 2 goals against us. 

What happened to teams putting me a man on the post from corners? Guess it went out of fashion. Was normal practice back when I played football and as a small fullback was nearly always my role from corners. Making a goal line clearance was my equivalent of scoring a goal haha!

Just seems crazy how often a shot goes fairly slowly in off a post from a corner and I think I definitely would've cleared that

19 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

In theory it’s not bad though? 
Man marking normally Means the attacker gets a run on the defender because it he defender is reacting to the attacker. In zonal marking you give the players a part of the box and tell them to win the ball there. 
it’s being executed poorly At the moment because there is no way that zonal marking doesn’t include the back post or the 6 yard box which is where Brun scored their 2 goals against us. 

Yeah I hate it, and always will ?‍♂️?

Archived