ZONAL MARKING

I don’t profess to know anything much about zonal marking but it is clearly not working for Derby County. That being the case, why haven’t we changed to man for man marking?- it’s probably too late to change now and, of course, the team maybe just as bad at man to man marking. Is zonal marking still prevalent in the top 2 divisions and what are its perceived advantages? As a layman, I would have thought that giving each player a nominated opposition player to mark would be much simpler , particularly at set pieces.

6 minutes ago, Arsene Titman said:

I don’t profess to know anything much about zonal marking but it is clearly not working for Derby County. That being the case, why haven’t we changed to man for man marking?- it’s probably too late to change now and, of course, the team maybe just as bad at man to man marking. Is zonal marking still prevalent in the top 2 divisions and what are its perceived advantages? As a layman, I would have thought that giving each player a nominated opposition player to mark would be much simpler , particularly at set pieces.

Agree completely. I've never understood it's benefits, and when done badly it just leaves opposition players free at set pieces. 

Tbh I think it works really well

we leave their players in their own little zone to do with as they please and then they score 

recycle and repeat ... and the great thing is too we’ve found multiple different ways to do it  

or is that not how it’s meant to work ? ? 

Edited by NottsRam77

I’ve suggested this before, but I suspect Rooney is trying to apply playing ideas to our ragtag bunch that might work for higher Premier League players but are simply too difficult for our mob to cope with. You’d hope he’d have worked it out by now and changed to something more simple, but he does seem to have a level of stubbornness that overrides common sense…..

5 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

I’ve suggested this before, but I suspect Rooney is trying to apply playing ideas to our ragtag bunch that might work for higher Premier League players but are simply too difficult for our mob to cope with. You’d hope he’d have worked it out by now and changed to something more simple, but he does seem to have a level of stubbornness that overrides common sense…..

But when Rooney was first appointed, it was all about simplicity. And it worked, we picked up a lot of good results and kept clean sheets. Why have we gone away from that and why can't we get back to it?

2 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

But when Rooney was first appointed, it was all about simplicity. And it worked, we picked up a lot of good results and kept clean sheets. Why have we gone away from that and why can't we get back to it?

I think continual injuries to different positions haven't helped.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think continual injuries to different positions haven't helped.

No doubt but look at the goals conceded yesterday. Basic defending. It's so easy to beat us at the minute, Swansea weren't good at all. 3 minute spell where they put the ball into our box a few times and we've lost the game. 

3 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

No doubt but look at the goals conceded yesterday. Basic defending. It's so easy to beat us at the minute, Swansea weren't good at all. 3 minute spell where they put the ball into our box a few times and we've lost the game. 

Unfortunately when you look at the goals we've conceded and where the error (mostly) lies then it seems to be a different player each time. Bar yesterday when I'd give Roos a double! 

1 hour ago, Rammy03 said:

Do you remember they set up for corners with the big guys zonal and little guys disrupted the runners

47 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

What zonal marking was there yesterday? There wasn't any marking, players didn't pick up people from the cross. Was not zonal, was individual mistakes

Their first goal came from us not dealing with a short corner. It went short and 2 players rushed to the player in possession, who simply laid it off to a player on the corner of the box with about 10 yards of space and all the time in the world to pick out a cross. Everybody else more or less standing waiting for something to happen.

It's quite possible that in training, they had not worked out who would do what at short corners. It's quite possible that they did but the players forgot.

Take your pick.

Personally, I have no idea how zonal marking is supposed to work. Do zones extend to beyond the edge of the area?

We defended corners well during the first half of the season, using zonal marking.

Zonal marking at corners comprises of 4 of your best headers of the ball around 4 or 5 yards out in a line ready to attack the ball and another 3 or 4 smaller players trying to block runs from forwards 9 or 10 yards out.

Most teams now do this. Whether it's the best way to go is open to opinion, but using the choice of this as a stick to hit Rooney is hysteria.

If people want to explain how and why they think Derby aren't coaching or implementing this method then fine. 

As @AndyinLiverpool has suggested yesterday's issue was how to react to a short corner involving a 3rd potential crosser of the ball. 

The recent issues we have had recently in conceding goals has largely not been in defending a straightforward corner, but rather in not marking or being out of position following a delayed cross or following a partially cleared corner/free kick.

3 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

Whichever clown invented it should face a firing squad. Turned the simple art of defending a corner into something unnecessarily complicated.

Hmmmm. It’s a weird one. We were shocking at defending set-pieces under Clough and he went man for man and improved when McClaren came in and went zonal. 

3 hours ago, Arsene Titman said:

That's you and Rooney then. You're in good company.

I've never really understood zonal marking. May work in strong teams with much better defenders but I think when you are struggling man to man is the way to go. Surprised Rooney hasn't given it a go as he's experimented with everything else!

Also don't understand why many teams dont bother with men on the post corners. We've conceded quite a few this season where men on the post would have stopped a goal.