We need to fix up, ASAP.

Bubbles

2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I think, as well as Bielik, any of Marshall, Byrne, Wisdom (maybe), Clarke, Buchanan, Shinnie, Knight, Jozwiak, Lawrence, Roberts (maybe), and maybe even Sibley could get in that Barnsley side, who are currently in eighth. 

I think a different coaching team could get more out of this team than the current one. Again, just my opinion. 

Really, we must be a top 6 team in disguise then ?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Duracell said:

The fundamental problem is that we do not have enough first team players. We have barely enough available established players to field a starting XI, so we've had to use talented but unpolished youngsters from the academy, and then take whatever was left from the Premier League on deadline day.

Tactics, management style, fixtures, all of it, you can debate it as much as you like - that problem won't go away. A new manager bounce masked the problem, but it's a band aid on a gun wound.

This problem won't be fixed until we find a way to properly start again. New ownership, new squad - even a new division. This purgatory cannot carry on forever.

Yes fair comments. It seems the loan signings have just increased the size of the squad, but not improved the quality. 

2 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

I respect your opinion but I totally disagree with it.

I think, player for player, we have a squad that is at least capable of a top half finish in this division. That's based on their own individual ability levels shown both here, at their previous clubs, as well as the ability (player for player) of the other teams.

I think a better manager would do a better job with this team, personally. But that's just my opinion. 

I'm stealing this cracking first line for future use btw! 

I would agree that player for player, our first choice XI is capable of a top half finish. That's my main point. The squad simply isn't big enough, especially for a season such as this. 

When they're playing together, we're fine. When they're not, or when they're knackered, we lose. 

There are three teams with poorer squads than us. Coventry are not a bad side. They had a plan, kept their shape and tried to play football. They were quicker to the ball and looked fitter. Our passing was woeful. We lost by a goal that we gave them. If it continues for three more games then we have a big fight on our hands for sure.

I don’t think we’ll go down.
We should be capable of being mid-table. We won’t get higher until we get some strikers and some central defenders and a decent keeper but we do have some midfield players and the foundation of something.

It really wouldn’t surprise me if we beat Barnsley. That’s the nature of this league.

But I’m not even thinking about top 6 or promotion anymore.

I actually prefer the championship as a league. The prem with its average salary of 40k per week is gross. Clubs spend 200m a year just to survive. The top 6 or 8 spaces are entirely predictable. I don’t even bother to watch it on tv anymore. Premier League footballers have become loathsome brats. Promoted sides struggle to compete. Ask Sheff Utd fans if they are enjoying it. I get more satisfaction from watching the youngsters we produce than from watching the moneybags clubs in the top flight.

the championship isn’t perfect. Far from it. The fact that every club is losing money is plain wrong. parachute clubs take at least half of the top 6 play off spaces each year and the top standard seems to be getting worse. But at least it’s more genuine. most clubs are producing some youngsters. And It’s more competitive. Anyone can beat anyone.
We should be able to enjoy being a good team in this league and our mission statement should be to establish ourselves as a top 6 championship club with a top six PL2 academy. That’ll do. The great days are never coming back. Just get the wages under control. Become financially stable and lobby for a greater share of tv money. I wonder what would happen if we stopped promotion and the top teams in the championship qualified for a European competition of our own. Maybe that would give us the extra revenue we need. it might be better. Let the EPL become as stale and meaningless as the SPL.

I want to see us build a good young championship side and not have to sell. That’s it. 
I’m not really a fan of Rooney because he’s a whiff of the prem and the excessive wages. If he was here on 10k per week instead of 50k per week, and genuinely wanted to be a part of this club then I might feel differently. His ambitions cannot be achieved at this club. We look like a mismatched couple. Like some awful arranged marriage. The father of the bride may be smitten but surely everyone else can see that it won’t work. We talk about long term planning, so we should try to find a manager that we can imagine being here for at least 5 years. That’s when we have had our best years - Brian Clough, arthur cox and Jim smith. Can anyone really see Wayne Rooney staying for 5 years? 

We have been in too much of a hurry. Stop chasing instant glory, and just build something without crippling the club with excessive wages and debt. 

44 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I don’t think we’ll go down.
We should be capable of being mid-table. We won’t get higher until we get some strikers and some central defenders and a decent keeper but we do have some midfield players and the foundation of something.

It really wouldn’t surprise me if we beat Barnsley. That’s the nature of this league.

But I’m not even thinking about top 6 or promotion anymore.

I actually prefer the championship as a league. The prem with its average salary of 40k per week is gross. Clubs spend 200m a year just to survive. The top 6 or 8 spaces are entirely predictable. I don’t even bother to watch it on tv anymore. Premier League footballers have become loathsome brats. Promoted sides struggle to compete. Ask Sheff Utd fans if they are enjoying it. I get more satisfaction from watching the youngsters we produce than from watching the moneybags clubs in the top flight.

the championship isn’t perfect. Far from it. The fact that every club is losing money is plain wrong. parachute clubs take at least half of the top 6 play off spaces each year and the top standard seems to be getting worse. But at least it’s more genuine. most clubs are producing some youngsters. And It’s more competitive. Anyone can beat anyone.
We should be able to enjoy being a good team in this league and our mission statement should be to establish ourselves as a top 6 championship club with a top six PL2 academy. That’ll do. The great days are never coming back. Just get the wages under control. Become financially stable and lobby for a greater share of tv money. I wonder what would happen if we stopped promotion and the top teams in the championship qualified for a European competition of our own. Maybe that would give us the extra revenue we need. it might be better. Let the EPL become as stale and meaningless as the SPL.

I want to see us build a good young championship side and not have to sell. That’s it. 
I’m not really a fan of Rooney because he’s a whiff of the prem and the excessive wages. If he was here on 10k per week instead of 50k per week, and genuinely wanted to be a part of this club then I might feel differently. His ambitions cannot be achieved at this club. We look like a mismatched couple. Like some awful arranged marriage. The father of the bride may be smitten but surely everyone else can see that it won’t work. We talk about long term planning, so we should try to find a manager that we can imagine being here for at least 5 years. That’s when we have had our best years - Brian Clough, arthur cox and Jim smith. Can anyone really see Wayne Rooney staying for 5 years? 

We have been in too much of a hurry. Stop chasing instant glory, and just build something without crippling the club with excessive wages and debt. 

There’s a lot of reasons to prefer the championship over the prem, as you say. But I’d still rather be where Leicester, Leeds, Southampton or Wolves (for example) are just now. With the right owners we’d be capable of that 

18 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

There’s a lot of reasons to prefer the championship over the prem, as you say. But I’d still rather be where Leicester, Leeds, Southampton or Wolves (for example) are just now. With the right owners we’d be capable of that 

I’m not sure that it’s possible to spend money in the championship without falling foul of ffp. Let’s face it Derby, Sheff wed and brum hardly went mad in the transfer market did we? Wolves cheated. Villa dodged a bullet. Leeds employed a genius. It might be great to be where Leicester are but is it sustainable? I’m not that fussed. I see their former full back - the legend that is Ben Chilwell - is on £190k per week now at Chelsea. ? 

9 hours ago, RamNut said:

I’m not sure that it’s possible to spend money in the championship without falling foul of ffp. Let’s face it Derby, Sheff wed and brum hardly went mad in the transfer market did we? Wolves cheated. Villa dodged a bullet. Leeds employed a genius. It might be great to be where Leicester are but is it sustainable? I’m not that fussed. I see their former full back - the legend that is Ben Chilwell - is on £190k per week now at Chelsea. ? 

The silver bullet is an oil rich or Asian owner who can access lavish sponsorship and media deals. MM can’t really deliver this tho his 32 deal was pretty imaginative. And he’s not found a genius (though we should not rush to judgement on WR, he’s still leaning)

But this summer’s transfer window will be freakish because EFL club finances will be at their worst, courtesy of covid. So maybe the Rooney factor will allow us to benefit from this. And EFl might further relax the ffp rules. I think Rooney will already have half an eye on summer business and MM will have considered a last push  

I think most fans want to be in the pL - warts and all - with a strong squad

10 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

I'd be interested to know some of them for my personal edification please 

1 minute ago, kevinhectoring said:

Cheaper tickets, beer, pies, don’t have to mix it with Chelsea fans,  as well as all the reasons in the earlier post 

Yer but that's like saying I'd prefer to go on holiday to Skeggy over Bali every time as hotels and meals in restaurants are a lot cheaper there. 

The Championship is a total misnomer. It's just all so boring. 

Archived