We need to fix up, ASAP.

Bubbles

This isn’t reactionary (well it might be)... But in the last 6 games, we’ve had one good performance in my opinion, and that was against an out of sorts Huddersfield side.

I feel like the “managerial bounce” is over, and I’m gonna be honest. I’m bloody scared about our run in to the end of the season. we have no “easy” fixtures, and I believe we need at-least 4-5 wins to ensure safety.

I can’t help but feel worried... If we stay up, with what funds do we strengthen with?

If we go down, what will happen to us?

I’m honestly worried about the future of Derby County Football Club.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A good start would be to bring some consistency to the starting eleven. There have been so many changes, often including relative newcomers and the lack of familiarity and understanding shows.

The recent return of Cocoball has seen an inevitable lack of points secured.

25 minutes ago, sunnyhill60 said:

A good start would be to bring some consistency to the starting eleven. There have been so many changes, often including relative newcomers and the lack of familiarity and understanding shows.

The recent return of Cocoball has seen an inevitable lack of points secured.

The thing that’s generally peed me off, is the fact we’re so focused on matching up to our own opposition that we lose our identity in the process

We just need to survive. I think we'll be better next year. Get some fans back & a bit of a pre-season. Were in a massive slump at the moment. We lack intensity & ideas. Its been a weird season but there is no denying were one of the clubs affected by no fans. We lookes brilliant at home when we had fans. Its obviously not our only issue but i do think its been a bit of a leveller 

I've already said in other threads that if we do stay up this season and that's a big if then we're only kicking the can down the road - we could potentially be without Waghorn next season and I'm not his greatest fan and other players out of contract in the summer. 

So if we think this season was a struggle then by God next season is going to be the same if not worse without some significant spend on players. If there's still no clarity with the takeover then that ain't going to happen. 

We really are in a huge mess and the previous failings to get promotion and fiduciary mismanagement are coming home to roost with avengance. 

Yesterdays loss has hit me. We are back in it and just cant seem to properly pull away.

Buchannan looked terrible again bird and shinnie as a 2 doesnt work.

Seems like everytime jozwiak doesnt play we lose. 

And i genuinely feel like we carry wisdom.

We need to score some wins quickly because if we have another cocu run its league one football.

7 hours ago, Bubbles said:

The thing that’s generally peed me off, is the fact we’re so focused on matching up to our own opposition that we lose our identity in the process

How did that yesterday match up to Coventry in any way? We were useless, I don't understand what we're trying to do anymore. And I'm not bothered about the identity at the moment as long as we're picking up points. Just go back to what we were doing before, it was effective. Get it forward to CKR as quick as possible and go from there.

9 hours ago, Bubbles said:

This isn’t reactionary (well it might be)... But in the last 6 games, we’ve had one good performance in my opinion, and that was against an out of sorts Huddersfield side.

I feel like the “managerial bounce” is over, and I’m gonna be honest. I’m bloody scared about our run in to the end of the season. we have no “easy” fixtures, and I believe we need at-least 4-5 wins to ensure safety.

I can’t help but feel worried... If we stay up, with what funds do we strengthen with?

If we go down, what will happen to us?

I’m honestly worried about the future of Derby County Football Club.

I think we’ve done enough in the middle third of the season to just about keep us safe.

It’ll be i the last couple of game but once we get to a mathematically safe point we can then look to the summer and the huge amount of work that needs to be done, hopefully the management team are up to the task!

The strange thing is every summer we say “this is a big summer for us” and every year the stakes get higher because we never solve the problems from the previous year!

The fundamental problem is that we do not have enough first team players. We have barely enough available established players to field a starting XI, so we've had to use talented but unpolished youngsters from the academy, and then take whatever was left from the Premier League on deadline day.

Tactics, management style, fixtures, all of it, you can debate it as much as you like - that problem won't go away. A new manager bounce masked the problem, but it's a band aid on a gun wound.

This problem won't be fixed until we find a way to properly start again. New ownership, new squad - even a new division. This purgatory cannot carry on forever.

Context please. It’s been a bad week. Performances have been mixed recently but we played well at Watford and against Huddersfield the latter only being 11 or so days ago. Forest wasn’t great by any stretch but not as horrendous as some have made out. It’s only this week (2 games) that has been an abomination both from the players and the management, the team selection and shocking performance against Cardiff followed up with a poor performance yesterday with questionable tactics with how we set up in a 4-4-2 when 4-3-3 would’ve been better .

As far as survival goes we are still in a good position compared to where we were. The frustrating thing is we had an opportunity to really pull clear and make it a comfortable end season, the past couple of results it’s looking like it will be a scrap to the end of the season which none of us want, but would’ve taken after 13 games when there was a risk of being cut adrift and some of the doom prophets were talking about us being this season’s Ipswich or Rotherham of a couple of seasons ago and whether or not we could claim the record of worst championship team ever to go with our premier league crown. 

Clearly if we perform how we have the past two games for the remainder of the season we won’t get many more points and we’ll be in trouble. Perform how we did against Huddersfield and how we have for the majority of the 21 games under Rooney then we will be fine.

We have some tough games yes, but so do the other teams. Rotherham for example are playing quite a lot of the teams around them or teams towards the top of the league going for playoffs, with a potentially resurgent Cov next up. If they get over 50 points they’ve done well, but if they do they will stop our other rivals pulling away. 

When push comes to shove Kazim will put in a few big performances, we’ll stop pissing around with it at the back and we will get the results to get us over the line.

As for next season, don’t even think about investment because there won’t be any. We will need to make some astute signings of solid senior pros to hopefully provide a structure for our young players to flourish. We have some serious young talent who will benefit greatly from the experience gained this season. Bird was outstanding second half of last season, he still has serious potential, as do Buchanan Knight and Sibley , Watson and McDonald also look like they have good potential. The summer is the time for the staff to get on the training pitch and improve our attacking play, and find the right balance between being solid and being creative, because we have talented players, it’s just not coming together in an attacking sense right now. 

It may be a couple of years before we are really competitive again, but I’d take mid table mediocrity if it meant being in a football ground again (hell I’d even take league 1 above no football)

8 hours ago, G-Ram said:

We just need to survive. I think we'll be better next year. Get some fans back & a bit of a pre-season. Were in a massive slump at the moment. We lack intensity & ideas. Its been a weird season but there is no denying were one of the clubs affected by no fans. We lookes brilliant at home when we had fans. Its obviously not our only issue but i do think its been a bit of a leveller 

At the end of the day you can’t polish a ?. We have been in decline for a while. I think under Frank the 3 quality loans papered over the cracks. Other than Bielik we are devoid of quality throughout the team, no creativity and no cutting edge. If we do stay up, my gut feeling is that we will scrape over the line, I fear for next season unless we get a takeover and some funds for Wazza to rebuild the squad. If that doesn’t happen I think we will go down next season. Maybe that is what is needed, a total rebuild. Start again from scratch.

9 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

At the end of the day you can’t polish a ?. We have been in decline for a while. I think under Frank the 3 quality loans papered over the cracks. Other than Bielik we are devoid of quality throughout the team, no creativity and no cutting edge. If we do stay up, my gut feeling is that we will scrape over the line, I fear for next season unless we get a takeover and some funds for Wazza to rebuild the squad. If that doesn’t happen I think we will go down next season. Maybe that is what is needed, a total rebuild. Start again from scratch.

This is it exactly. 'Fixing up' implies there is a level of performance we can aspire to which I don't think exists in the squad we have.

17 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

We will need funds in the summer, but I think we could be entering a fairly unique position in regards the transfer market.

A lot of clubs are struggling and will be trimming their wagebills. Leaving a lot of players looking for work (so to speak). My hope is that we are able to find some decent bargains that we may never have got in seasons past.

If we can pick up a decent winger, striker, CB and creative midfielder then we will be down to filling the gaps with a couple more squad fillers (probably need 2 in the CB position).

I still think we will go down this season, personally. Said it all along, we don’t score enough goals, or have enough attacking threat in general, to survive. We got an initial new manager bounce when Rooney took charge, which made it appear like we were going to climb into mid table, but sadly I fear that was almost entirely down to the influence of Bielik, rather than Rooney being some sort of managerial genius. He was making the rest of the squad look better than they are, and now he’s injured, we’ve been brought back down to reality with a bang. And that reality is we have a squad full of average at best players, being managed by a managerial novice who can’t seem to settle on a style, and is now having his mistakes exposed.

It’s a good point about next season too. Relegation to League One has been coming for a long time under Mel Morris, think I said that a couple of years ago. Years of mismanagement were always going to eventually come home to roost. Every year our squad has got worse because of our shocking recruitment, and a mismatch of managers with totally different styles makes the issue even worse. This season is no different. I dread to think what our squad will look like after the summer transfer window if we do stay up - all those players leaving, and not a penny to replace them with. Our only hope is a takeover appearing from somewhere. Otherwise we could do a Portsmouth and drop through the Leagues.

6 minutes ago, Brammie Steve said:

We're staying up.......end of!

Not because we're too good to go down but because there are at least three teams bad enough to finish the season below us.

Yes, think we will. Just looked at Brum and Udders remaining fixtures, both more difficult than ours as are Florists. Slight concern is that Rotherham have an easier run in than us. The Brum game will be massive but I think we will just about survive.

5 hours ago, Duracell said:

'Fixing up' implies there is a level of performance we can aspire to which I don't think exists in the squad we have.

I respect your opinion but I totally disagree with it.

I think, player for player, we have a squad that is at least capable of a top half finish in this division. That's based on their own individual ability levels shown both here, at their previous clubs, as well as the ability (player for player) of the other teams.

I think a better manager would do a better job with this team, personally. But that's just my opinion. 

11 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I respect your opinion but I totally disagree with it.

I think, player for player, we have a squad that is at least capable of a top half finish in this division. That's based on their own individual ability levels shown both here, at their previous clubs, as well as the ability (player for player) of the other teams.

I think a better manager would do a better job with this team, personally. But that's just my opinion. 

Other than Bielik which of our players would be a regular in a top 6 championship side?

18 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Other than Bielik which of our players would be a regular in a top 6 championship side?

I think, as well as Bielik, any of Marshall, Byrne, Wisdom (maybe), Clarke, Buchanan, Shinnie, Knight, Jozwiak, Lawrence, Roberts (maybe), and maybe even Sibley could get in that Barnsley side, who are currently in eighth. 

Note that I said a top half team, not a top six team, I should add. 

I think a different coaching team could get more out of this team than the current one. Again, just my opinion. 

Archived