Premier Inn London Wembley Park hotel

Day

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Surely Birmingham?
Direct train links to all corners of the country, with numerous stations to handle the capacity.
Good motorway links to each corner.
Large airport on the doorstep.

Not sure whether they had a vote about Wembley but I remember they had a process of sorts about the Millennium Dome (Derby might even have been on the long list) and that a site somewhere between Coventry and Birmingham made the finals. Of course it lost out to an obscure location tucked away in East London that is equally difficult to get to!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Rev said:

Whilst I admire @Davids optimism, booking a Wembley hotel is such a waste!

The greatest city in the World, with all manner of attractions, and you ignore it all to stay in a stabby part of the outskirts, to save a few minutes tube or train ride?

Pretty sure most areas down here are pretty "stabby" these days.

14 hours ago, David said:

Greatest city in the world? They don’t even have mushy peas down there. 

They should have put the national stadium in the middle of the country so we could have avoided the place all together 

There are mushy peas down here, you just need to know where to go and avoid the typical tourist traps. I've never understood the fascination with Derby fans all going to Covent Garden for pre-match drinks and then going to somewhere like QPR or Millwall after. There's tons of better (and cheaper) watering holes outside of Zone 1 in the vicinity of better serviced stations, not just the Picadilly and Central Line hell hole that is Covent Garden/Holborn.

6 hours ago, angieram said:

Could never understand why they chose to build over that tiny space instead of moving the stadium to somewhere with good road and rail networks and room to actually park at the ground.

London-centric behaviour at its worst.

Everywhere is a building site in London. As soon as there's a few feet of spare land there's a bidding war to build on it. Wembley is far from the most difficult place to get to. Once you're used to 10 mile journeys taking nearly an hour then it's all good. It's the out of towners who get angry at the site of another 20 cars using the same road that cause the issues ?  

5 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Surely Birmingham?
Direct train links to all corners of the country, with numerous stations to handle the capacity.
Good motorway links to each corner.
Large airport on the doorstep.

Birmingham is probably more stabby per capita than London. And apart from the canals and Peaky Blinders tour there isn't much else to do if you're planning on making the most of your visit.

4 hours ago, angieram said:

Not sure whether they had a vote about Wembley but I remember they had a process of sorts about the Millennium Dome (Derby might even have been on the long list) and that a site somewhere between Coventry and Birmingham made the finals. Of course it lost out to an obscure location tucked away in East London that is equally difficult to get to!

South East London actually. Let's not tarnish the East's reputation with that. Going southbound under the Blackwall tunnel is super easy, but there's always standstill traffic heading northbound into the tunnel. Everybody trying to get home before the South London vampires attack in the evenings.

Sorry all, just wanted to stick up for Old London Town.

6 hours ago, roboto said:

Pretty sure most areas down here are pretty "stabby" these days.

There are mushy peas down here, you just need to know where to go and avoid the typical tourist traps. I've never understood the fascination with Derby fans all going to Covent Garden for pre-match drinks and then going to somewhere like QPR or Millwall after. There's tons of better (and cheaper) watering holes outside of Zone 1 in the vicinity of better serviced stations, not just the Picadilly and Central Line hell hole that is Covent Garden/Holborn.

Everywhere is a building site in London. As soon as there's a few feet of spare land there's a bidding war to build on it. Wembley is far from the most difficult place to get to. Once you're used to 10 mile journeys taking nearly an hour then it's all good. It's the out of towners who get angry at the site of another 20 cars using the same road that cause the issues ?  

Birmingham is probably more stabby per capita than London. And apart from the canals and Peaky Blinders tour there isn't much else to do if you're planning on making the most of your visit.

South East London actually. Let's not tarnish the East's reputation with that. Going southbound under the Blackwall tunnel is super easy, but there's always standstill traffic heading northbound into the tunnel. Everybody trying to get home before the South London vampires attack in the evenings.

Sorry all, just wanted to stick up for Old London Town.

You want to stick up for old London town by stating that it's okay once you get used to 10 mile journeys taking an hour and queues to get through tunnels? You're not really selling it to me! ?

Admire your loyalty, though.

I like going to QPR, locals are really friendly.

Archived