Derby U23s vs Chelsea: Matchday Thread

Ghost of Clough

5 minutes ago, Stuniverse said:

Three in two, Cresswell starting to look clinical again, like he did in his breakthrough season at U23 level (a few years back) when he was prolific.

That was his first season at CF as well. Played there because we had no one else.

He's a strange one because he seems a more complete player than Trialist. Excellent off the ball, decent enoigh at the link up play stuff and a good poacher in front too goal. Yet, he doesn't 'feel' like he should be a CF.

To be honest, he's exactly what we could do with on the first team bench. Bring him on for the final 5 minutes to press their defence and see games out.

I hope he keeps this good form up and earns a decent move in the summer.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, ossieram said:

A good win despite the best efforts of the ref.

I really hope he proves me wrong, but I just don't see what Aghatise brings to the team! The lad is strong and isn't short of pace, but I just don't see the footballer in there. And the fact that the coaches seemed to spend the entire game shouting his name and telling him what to do, makes me believe that they don't think his decision making is very good.

Shoved out on the wing at the last minute - a position he isn't used to. I'm not surprised he needed coaching throughout the game

31 minutes ago, angieram said:

Special mention for young Dylan Williams, got a lot of close physical "attention" but kept picking himself up and getting on with the game.

Where has he come from? Not noticed him before. Thought he was absolutely excellent tonight and can take the close 'attention' as a massive compliment as their defenders took no chances with him in what was not a dirty game by any stretch. Just a whisper of a lad and despite some strong challenges, got up, dusted himself down and cracked on with the game. Quick, attacking, technically strong and clearly got some fight in him too. Looks yet another very good prospect.

6 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Where has he come from? Not noticed him before. Thought he was absolutely excellent tonight and can take the close 'attention' as a massive compliment as their defenders took no chances with him in what was not a dirty game by any stretch. Just a whisper of a lad and despite some strong challenges, got up, dusted himself down and cracked on with the game. Quick, attacking, technically strong and clearly got some fight in him too. Looks yet another very good prospect.

He's a first year scholar. Made a few appearances for the U18s last season too.

Came through the younger age groups as a LB, but I think we'll see him mature into a winger long term.

I think he's a proper Derby lad as well.

37 minutes ago, ossieram said:

A good win despite the best efforts of the ref.

I really hope he proves me wrong, but I just don't see what Aghatise brings to the team! The lad is strong and isn't short of pace, but I just don't see the footballer in there. And the fact that the coaches seemed to spend the entire game shouting his name and telling him what to do, makes me believe that they don't think his decision making is very good.

Tad harsh buddy. Unless I've got him mixed up with someone else, I think he's not been long with us whereas most of that side are well used to playing with each other and the system we tend to play too. Looked a scrapper and has bags of pace and could easily improve a deal when settled in.

A final general observation - Festy!!! I know I bang on about the lad too much but he's a serious baller and utterly fearless. Could he play MF or even on the wing where his natural attacking instincts, speed and ability to beat players could be priceless? He's terrific in defence but almost seems wasted there. Would love to know how many yards he covered tonight too. 

47 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

To be honest, he's exactly what we could do with on the first team bench. Bring him on for the final 5 minutes to press their defence and see games out.

I hope he keeps this good form up and earns a decent move in the summer.

He looks better than Duncan atm, why get rid?

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

He's a first year scholar. Made a few appearances for the U18s last season too.

Came through the younger age groups as a LB, but I think we'll see him mature into a winger long term.

I think he's a proper Derby lad as well.

It's lads like him that got me hooked on the academy games. Watching the bright young talents progress through the ranks is such a buzz. We're very lucky to have such a productive academy and an owner who had the vision and will to ensure what was good became better. In 9 out of 10 games, he'd have been MOTM tonight. Easy to forget how young Festy is but Dylan and Harrison were really impressive tonight too.

12 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Thought Williams was great, still only 18 apparently but harried and ran his little tail feather off. Jordan Brown looks like he has a future, solid lad at the back, no fuss just product. Agree on Cresswell, though he did try his hardest to miss the open goal with his second. Ebosele is a unit, and has some engine on him as well. My big disappointment of the night was Duncan, he just looked unable to read the game and really should have done more with his control on his second half chance - he's young, time to grow but is currently nowhere near breaking through.

14 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Thought Williams was great, still only 18 apparently but harried and ran his little tail feather off. Jordan Brown looks like he has a future, solid lad at the back, no fuss just product. Agree on Cresswell, though he did try his hardest to miss the open goal with his second. Ebosele is a unit, and has some engine on him as well. My big disappointment of the night was Duncan, he just looked unable to read the game and really should have done more with his control on his second half chance - he's young, time to grow but is currently nowhere near breaking through.

He's a first year scholar so either 16 or 17 ( I think 16).

Archived