Derby U23s vs Chelsea: Matchday Thread

Ghost of Clough

Kicking off at 7pm tonight live on RamsTV.

With a first team game on Tuesday night, don't expect to see the same lineup as we had vs Leicester.
Last season's undefeated champions find themselves currently in 5th, albeit 2 points off the leaders with a game in hand. Derby, after picking up our first win in 4 months, will be looking for another win to edge up one position to 6th (to go behind Chelsea on GD).

Watson made his Derby U23 debut last time against Chelsea, coming off the bench with a goal and an assist.
There was a  lot of controversy in that game, as Chelsea's equaliser came as a result of the ref not stopping play for a serious injury to Wilson. Triple jeopardy in that sequence of play as Ebosele still hasn't fully recovered from the injury he picked up in the process of chasing back.
That's not all... Wassall and the Chelsea RB got sent off deep into extra time (the 10th minute added on) after a bit of a scrap involving pretty much every player on the field.

Predicted lineup:

Sykes-Kenworthy
Bardell   Solomon   Bateman   JBrown   Archie
Aghatise   LThompson   Williams
Duncan   Cresswell

Potentially still missing: Foster/Idem, Ebosele, Wassall, Minkley, Cashin, Dixon, Shonibare and Stretton.
A few of those (such as Stretton) may be touch and go for this game.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just thought I'd pop this up early in case anyone else is prone to forgetting these games. For those of you who have not already converted to major Academy fanboy/girl status, have a peep. Typically really good games, played at a good tempo and without too much of the cynical stuff we see in 'men's' football. Even better, the games are free to watch on RamsPlayer (use link below) so what's to lose on a dull lockdown-Monday evening?

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/fixtures/results/2021/02/15/u23-v-chelsea

As for the game, U23's on a bit of a poor run  - think we're one win from last five games and they face the very daunting task of trying to turn over a very good Chelsea outfit, who along with Citeh look a cut above right now. Given how many eligible players have been promoted to the senior squad in recent months, I think it's probably understandable that we have struggled a little. Be interesting to see if Sibbo is named again as he could and probably should be playing, if just to keep him match fit. I'm hoping that Festy Ebosele might be in the squad too as he's a big player for us if over the niggles he's endured since returning from a bad injury. Also keen to see Bobby Duncan get some game time though he's still behind Stretton in the pecking order. He's shown some glimpses of real ability despite limited opportunities though and remains one to keep an eye on.

COYR

14 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Be interesting to see if Sibbo is named again as he could and probably should be playing, if just to keep him match fit.

I’d be very surprised if Sibley was selected with the first-team having an away game at Wycombe tomorrow. Sibley did start the last U23 game on a Monday but the first-team had no midweek game last week.

I'm hoping that Festy Ebosele might be in the squad too as he's a big player for us if over the niggles he's endured since returning from a bad injury.

I agree with you, but right-back is a position well covered with Kornell McDonald having overtaken Festy Ebosele in the pecking order and Max Bardell being played up from the U23s.

Also keen to see Bobby Duncan get some game time though he's still behind Stretton in the pecking order. He's shown some glimpses of real ability despite limited opportunities though and remains one to keep an eye on.

Cameron Cresswell was preferred to Bobby Duncan last time out, with Duncan on the bench. Cresswell scored a good goal so chances are he’ll start again.

We should hear the team news soon.

3 minutes ago, Stuniverse said:

I agree with you, but right-back is a position well covered with Kornell McDonald having overtaken Festy Ebosele in the pecking order and Max Bardell being played up from the U23s.

Agree with all points made Stu but Festy is the boy for me assuming the injury has no lasting ill effects. Kornell looks a real prospect too but I'm a proper Festy fangirl and can't hear of him not making a big splash sooner rather than later. No doubt you'll be proven right but for now I remain firmly in the 'Festy In' camp ?

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We should start banning people who start duplicate threads ?

Mods, mods, Ghost's being a bully! ?

In fairness, I did scan the first page of topics and only stumbled on the fact that there was a game on a betting site. I've missed the start of about four in a row now!! 

17 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

With the U18s playing on Saturday and the first team tomorrow, it doesn't leave many players spare.

As Roberts is touch and go for tomorrow, I imagine Wilson is backup

Just said on commentary that Mitchell-Lawson was named on the U23 bench for tonight but withdrawn so, I assume, he’ll be on the bench tomorrow instead of Roberts. Waghorn to start presumably.

Archived