Why can we perform against the better teams in this league, but not the dross?

Day

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we didn’t sign Gregory then I don’t think we would have scored 2 today and would probably be looking at a 1-1 draw at best like we did against Wycombe and Coventry.

I think the difference now is we have 2 strikers who look dangerous, Richards has 3 in 4, Gregory has played 100 minutes and scored 1, assisted 1, missed a sitter and maybe could have scored that header today.

I think our defence is good enough to keep the opposition to 1 goal, it’s just time for our attack to be looking at 2 goals a game and then I don’t think it matters who we play (apart from the top 2 who I think are the only ‘good’ teams this year).

We can’t expect to stay up as lowest scorers in the league! 

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

This may be simplistic but I think it largely comes down to a good start.

In our four wins at home under Rooney, we have got the first goal. In three of those games we have scored the opening goal inside the first 15 minutes.

We are a team of growers, not showers. I don’t think we have the confidence to control a game from minute one and dominate in whatever circumstances. We need a break. Something to fall for us. And then we grow from there.

Take today: Buchanan’s header back across goal finds a red shirt and it could be a different game.

It didn’t and it wasn’t. But when things go our way, it gives the players a platform. We suddenly have momentum, we suddenly have confidence, and we can lean on our game plan.

We can play in a calm, structured and confident manner, whereas the opposition have to go back to the drawing board and reassess. The majority of those teams have then been exposed for a lack of ideas.

However, in the games against Rotherham and Sheffield Wednesday, for example, we haven’t got that early goal, taken our chances or had any luck, and when we then have been beaten to the punch, we have no answers.

It’s worrying that when we go 1-0 down, we tend not to be able to find a way back into the game.

We were better than the Wendies but we lost and should have won. We were worse than Rotherham and lost but we could have won. We are a very hard working team that is developing under a very tactically aware manager. Rooney is incredibly focussed and is determined to get us promoted. We are looking more and more like a side that could have finished in the top six had Rooney been in charge all season. All he had to do was get four more wins in that period under Cocu and we would now be around the top six. If we had beaten Rotherham twice and the Wendies we would be three points short if we had won our postponed game against Barnsley. Three of those games we lost by a single goal. Fine margins.

The downside of playing two up front was that the coaches decided it had to be accompanied by hoof ball to by-pass the midfield. As a result it was one of the worst, and ugliest games of the season. 

7 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Top 6 form since Rooney took control. It'll come, its just a battle atm, Rovram outfought us to their credit, most teams won't.

Just miss out of the top 6 on GD since Rooney took charge, although we have a game in hand.

SmartSelect_20210214-075148_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1f41600d00ee8332bd92264fa5d041b7.jpg

Although, we're 5th if we even things out and look at the last 15 games. Only Swansea (8) have conceded fewer than our 9 in that time.

SmartSelect_20210214-075126_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b37f4a5a7b2b20fdf9ebdad9ed6864dd.jpg

Look to the Rotherham games. We saw what they were going to do on the first game. We try and play out from the back and they didn't allow us time on the ball. It was incredibly disappointing to not change our approach on the second game and we got done again after knowing how they'd play. 

The dross set out to stop us by not allowing us time on the ball. Teams at the other end are playing their own game and not specifically setting out to stop us. 

I'm glad we have the second striker now so we can change our approach from playing out from the back, to lump it up to the strikers with a view to them holding up the ball and bringing others into play. Hopefully this will now keep other guessing about how we will play. Bring on Wycombe. 

1 minute ago, Big Bad Bob said:

Look to the Rotherham games. We saw what they were going to do in the first game. We try and play out from the back and they didn't allow us time on the ball. It was incredibly disappointing to not change our approach in the second game and we got done again after knowing how they'd play. 

The dross set out to stop us by not allowing us time on the ball. Teams at the other end are playing their own game and not specifically setting out to stop us. 

I'm glad we have the second striker now so we can change our approach from playing out from the back, to lump it up to the strikers with a view to them holding up the ball and bringing others into play. Hopefully this will now keep other guessing about how we will play. Bring on Wycombe. 

Archived